Grand Hotel Tien-Shan
$35
Priceline
Iris(Almaty)
$51
All reviewsfree sparoom facingvery comfortable roomroom rateprofessional servicetv channelsother hotelsspa centerpanfilov parkcable carcentral locationnice hotelswimming poolcomfortable staylobbyinternetbusiness
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Have stayed 1 night, november 2012 . Hotel is located near at the centre of Almaty. It is convinient for business and tourism. Breakfast was good, traditional European meal... Room were too small for me and furniture were too old. TV didn't work properly

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed in this hotel several times during my business trips to Almaty. The location of the hotel is convenient, the rooms are clean and comfortable, equipped with a mini bar, TV and A/C. The SPA is very nice and relaxing. The staff is not always efficient, but always very friendly.

The only awkward situation happened to me with a very persisting hotel porter who after insisting to bring my luggage to the room, refused to leave till I gave him a tip, which was not so easy since I had just arrived and did not have local money yet, also it was at 3 am in the morning, while I was barely standing on my feet after the 10 hour flight. So for a sake of serenity, have some change ready.

Nevertheless, I like this hotel, but its real disadvantage is the price, that even having in mind that the average hotel prices in Almaty are high, is way overpriced.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for just over a week. My husband for work and I for leisure. We really enjoyed our stay. We arrived in the middle of the night and the receptionist was very helpful and friendly. During our stay he was very keen to give us tips about what to do. He liked to steer us to the more western sites, but we enjoyed the market, the parks, etc. The spa is luxurious, spacious pool and very under-used, a good way to relax at the end of the day. The breakfasts were good, but after a few days I was just looking for some good bread, but this is me.
The location was wonderful. It is opposite a very green area that links several larger gardens through a walkway. Plenty of benches to soak up the autumn sun. We felt safe to walk around at night and went to the theatre several times, saw two great ballets and the tickets were very cheap. So, yes, we can recommend the hotel, its service and location.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suus267
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Central location in Almaty. Rather pricey.

My room was small, but warmly furnished and with all needed amenities. Comfortable bed.

Front desk staff wasn't very efficient (it took them quite some time to check me in/out) but was polite and smiley.

I did not try out the breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed there also couple of years ago, it is just ordinary hotel.
It was packed before the crises when Almaty full with real estate people but these they are gone now so do not deserve its price anymore.
It's restaurant facilities are really poor. Not an adequate room for eating.

The hotel have square plan with the lobby as a gallery atrium in the center. Therefore the lobby is quite big but not ergonomic.
The Rooms are acceptable but due to square footprint the traffic circulation is not planned well so you might need to walk a long way until you reach to your room.

The location is good and at the center of Almaty.
You even can walk from the hotel to popular places such as Caffedelia, Soho etc.
There is a park across the entrance facade of the hotel as well.

In general it is OK.

Room Tip: Try to select rooms not far away from the lobby. Otherwise you might end up walking a long distance.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business