“A pleasant surprise”

Grand Hotel Eurasia
Ranked #64 of 75 Hotels in Almaty
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I missed my connection in Almaty and was provided a room at this hotel by AirAstana. I was travelling with my 4 cats, so pets are surely no problem in this hotel! :-)

The room is quite big, the bathroom as well, but with shower only. Everything was tidy, clean and quite newly renovated. My only objection would be the very hard mattress, but my cats quite liked it! :-)

Location is excellent, centrally in Almaty and with a large shopping centre, including a huge Ramstore, within walking distance down the road.

I did not eat at the hotel as I had to leave at 4am, but I surely enjoyed my stay. A pleasant surprise!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Jo H

Reviewed July 12, 2011

Never ever stay here. The dirtiest room I've ever stayed in. And the awfullest thing - there was now window in my room. I felt like a prisoner in a stincky chamber.
Food was uneadable.
The only good point was fast web connection. But it's not enough to justify such a price.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Disgusting hotel. Paper peeling off walls, linen grubby, restaurant food like pigswill. Wouldn't kennel my dog there

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2009

the only good thing about this hotel is that it is located in front of Samal Towers business center and not far from Ramstore mall.
the bad thing about the hotel is that all a/c and heating is local - in room, i.e. no fresh air coming in. It is terrible and nothing to breath, especially in winter, when it is very cold outside and opening a window is not an option, at the same time a/c heaters rotate old bad air, and in the morning you feel not having rest... suffering!
Breakfast food selection is also quite poor... and staff unattentive... New hotel with soviet approach and bad quality chinese made interior....

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed January 9, 2009

This is potentially the worst Hotel I have stayed in. The bathroom smlled so bad I could hardly stand being in there, the room was so appallingly put together that tiles were coming off the wall, the sink and bath were not attached properly and the paint on the walls was coming off.

The restaurant was expensive and very ordinary and the front desk staff were completely disorganised. I am returning to Almaty soon and will definately avoid this place at all costs.

Do not stay here!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 21, 2008

This was the last hotel on our trip through Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan, and definitely the worst hotel by far. The travel agent changed hotels on us at the last minute, and after some argument they agreed not to charge us for the difference.

The rooms are fitted with cheap and crappy Chinese furnishings. Good thing the air con works. The bathroom is terrible. It literally smells like crap and the water heater broke down while we were there, so there was no hot water when I tried to shower. For a hotel that charges us $200+ a night this is absolutely unacceptable! There is also no bathtub so you can only take a shower.

The breakfast at the restaurant has very limited food - again the worst out of all hotels we stayed at during our trip.

Internet did not work during our stay.

Location was a bit far from the center of town, but it's very close to Ramstor which is a nice shopping center with a supermarket. It's also close to the InterCon so convenient if you choose to move across.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 15, 2007

There is nothing grand about this hotel and, out of 4 stars that it displays, it may deserve 2 at most. I stayed at this hotel because it was convenient to my office.

First impression from entering through a very squeaky door, not great. No issues at check-in but again, a squeaky door to the room locked with a normal key, and another squeaky door to the bathroom inside the room. By the way, the room door is opening outside, so if you'd like to use a door-stop for security, it's not an option. Room is regular size, fairly clean, decorated with a bit flashy, low quality Chinese furniture. The room was not cleaned well, all shampoos, etc. were half empty, the previous occupant left a yogurt on the window and it was still there. The fixtures in the bathroom fell off the wall when I tried to use them. The bath is plastic and not fixed to the wall, it was shaking when I was trying to take a shower in the water that had a mind of it's own regarding temperature changes. At checkout, I was told to wait until the room cleaning lady checked that "the room was OK", I guess that I didn't steal something...maybe that yogurt.

Since it's in a very convenient location and that I stayed there only about 5 hours, I guess I might stay there again, if nothing else is available.

Stayed: November 2007