“I'll Be Back . . . Again”

InterContinental Almaty Hotel
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in Almaty
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was my third stay at the InterContinental in Almaty and it continues to live up to its well deserved reputation. When I visited for the second time in July, I arrived late in the evening and had to catch an early flight out before dawn so I only had time for a a shower and some sleep before heading out. This time I had an opportunity to enjoy several of the hotel's amenities as I attended an evening business function in one of the large rooms downstairs followed by a buffet dinner reception afterwards. Very nicely done.

I booked a Club Room on the 8th floor and was not disappointed. Room was nice with plenty of room. Internet connection was quick and reliable. Two bottles of complimentary water and snacks were very much appreciated. I had access to the Club Lounge on the 10th floor. A nice and quiet oasis to relax in, complete with comfortable chairs, complimentary snacks, drinks, newspapers, and large screen televisions. Breakfast is served in the Lounge, but I decided to eat downstairs in the Asian Cafe restaurant on the main floor instead. As always, a very nice restaurant with an excellent breakfast buffet selection.

After breakfast, I had time for a look around the main lobby and was pleasantly surprised to find a bookstore tucked away around the corner from the check-in counter. It is a small shop, but with a nice collection of fiction, non-fiction, and travel books, magazines and newspapers in English and a modest selection of souvenirs as well. There were several good travel guides on sale. Too good of a bargain to resist.

Three stays with three thumbs up. Well done, Intercontinental Almaty!!! I'll be back again.

One last note: If you are arriving at the airport, I recommend booking a car through the hotel for an airport pick up (Kudos to the concierge, Ms. Alima Assembek, for quick, courteous and reliable service). The car was a nice and roomy Mercedes at a reasonable rate. The best part was that the driver was waiting for me with a sign so I did not have to worry about running the gauntlet of shady characters at the airport asking me if I needed a taxi. As I learned on previous trip, they will try to charge you 15,000 KZT (the foreigner price), or more. I also arranged for a ride to the airport when I departed. No muss, no fuss, and one less thing to worry about on your way to the airport.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
intercontinenta... a, General Manager at InterContinental Almaty Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback and writing a review to share with other travelers.
We are so happy to see you touched on all the points we pride ourselves on.
We hope you will be back soon and give us the opportunity to provide you the great service again.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I've been in the hotel to visit friends who stayed there. It is really beautiful now on Christmas and NY Eve. You can do many things there - eat out in the restaurant, drink smth in the bar, have a nice walk and do shopping on the chiristmas fair and marvel a high decorated christmas tree.
I liked it!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Altynay_Raskali
intercontinenta... a, General Manager at InterContinental Almaty Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear Guest,
We thank you for the time you have taken to share your feedback with other travelers.
We highly appreciate your comments which are very important for us.

Looking forward in welcoming you back again.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for 4 months for business and I couldn't wish anything more than this hotel has to offer. The staff has always been very accommodating and responsive to any request. The rooms are very comfortable though not very big. The food was truly amazing both for breakfast and for dinner at a top-floor restaurant.

It's not only the best hotel in Almaty, but also a very good hotel at an international level. Highly recommended

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
intercontinenta... a, General Manager at InterContinental Almaty Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear Mr. Anton Lysenko,

We were delighted to welcome you at InterContinental Almaty Hotel!
We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay. We would like to thank you for pointing out the services which we are proud of.
We look forward for an opportunity of providing you with the good services again.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed there for one week on a business trip. The hotel is really comfortable, with no real surprise compared with other Intercontinental hotels. The service was very good and all the staff is very kind. The spa/fitness center is at a very good level.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FredK1412
intercontinenta... a, General Manager at InterContinental Almaty Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing such kind comments about your stay at InterContinental Almaty. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

We look forward to welcome you again soon at InterContinental Almaty!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Fabulous huge rooms, free wifi, great food and smart, professional, helpful staff with excellent language skills. Best of all (for me) is the excellent well equipped spacious gym that is open from 6-midnight.Step and running machines, some with ipod docks, weights machines, free weights, studio room for classes or self practice of pilates or yoga with mats, balls and hand weights. Decent sized swimming pool, single sex saunas and big marble hamman. Just marvellous!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank annette s
intercontinenta... a, General Manager at InterContinental Almaty Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are so happy to see you touched on all the points we pride ourselves on.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

There is an electronic sign in this hotel that shows that it has achieved 4.5 stars of Trip Advisor.

I tend to agree. I've rated up (as normal). The hotel is excellent; staff is freindly and helpful; a nice swimming pool and a small Supermarket is about 100 metres away towards the town.

I ws well looked after and would recommend the hotel.

Be aware of the taxi touts at the airport, though. Best to have the hotel pick you up.

Room Tip: Mountain view or city view; both are excllent.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
intercontinenta... a, General Manager at InterContinental Almaty Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the InterContinental Almaty Hotel.
I was delighted to read your review and to see that you enjoyed staying at our hotel.
We certainly look forward to welcome you back to InterContinental Almaty Hotel, hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a good Intercontinental Hotel, very well situated and within walking distance of Republic Square (and 45 minute walk from the Green Bazaar and Ascension Cathedral).

Rooms and good size, clean and decent with a fair view depending on what side you're on. Restaurants are OK although nothing special,, and prices are high.

The Beauty saloon (women's haidresser) is outrageously expensive and you're better off trying a local saloon (hairdresser doesen't speek English at the hotel either).

Other than that, you'll enjoy the place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor with regards to your stay with us.
All your kind comments are greatly appreciated. I will certainly share your comments with our team, as your feedback is very important for us in the further improvement.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back at the InterContinental hotel during your next visits to Almaty, Kazakhstan.