“Reasonable quality, reasonable prices”
Review of Del Papa

Del Papa
Ranked #26 of 2,035 Restaurants in Almaty
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Not quite fine dining, but not overpriced.
Starters are usually low cost to make but tasty. Mains are all the same sort of price so if you want a quality cut of fish or meat the serving is much smaller than a cheap cut of the same.
If you opt for the draught beer it is quite watery. They do some very nice wine but even by the bottle it is expensive.
The service is pretty good (although its usual Kazakh style, i.e. no smiles or greetings).
During the summer sitting outside is nice, but even outside tables are non smoking.
There isnt an option here to rate between 'average' and 'very good'. I would say this is above average, but not very good.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

My local friends suggested we go to Del Papa. I usually am not big on Italian food, but I am glad I went in this case! The food was excellent, the salad's were fresh, the appetizers were surprisingly good variations on the traditional, and the main dish (meat lasagna) hit the spot! I have been in Almaty for a week and one thing I have learned for certain: fast service is not the social norm. I haven't gotten it at any of the 10+ places I have eaten. Almaty is a laid back slower paced city, and it seems that restaurant service is also laid back. The service at Del Papa was some of the faster I have experienced, but we did need to wave them down a few times.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I ate an early dinner here alone two weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by the pizza. I lived in Rome for a year and have high pizza standards, so never expect a lot for pizzas I eat outside Italy. But this was surprisingly good, relatively think crust pizza (had the mushroom pizza). Unlike a lot of pizza places outside Italy, they did not overdo the tomato sauce on the pizza, so it tasted far closer to what one would expect in Rome. Not identical but definitely closer. Also, the atmosphere was nice and as a solo bob-Kazakh-speaking female I was treated well, was given a good window table and everyone made an effort to try to figure out what I wanted/needed. There were setting up a nice street-side area as well. The location has the added benefit of being within easy walking distance of the Atakent Park Hotel (Holiday Inn Plus), near the campus of Al-farabi KAzakh National University...so did not require a taxi ride from the hotel.Nice evening!

1  Thank thekma
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I've been to Del Papa on a regular basis the last 2 years. I liked this place because it's nice, clean with a nice terrasse.
The service is always good.
The food is a classic italian one but always with fresh products and equal quality.
The summer, they propose as well some original dishes.
About beverage, I particularly took fresh lemonade and coffee Mocha.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Too small tables and chairs - uncomfortable small. Location on loud street corner. But if you are in a hurry, its ok.