Ambassador
Voyage(Almaty)
  • Restaurant
Uyut Hotel(Almaty)
View Hotel
All reviewspoor lightingthe ground floorfirst floorroom was spaciousnon smoking roomwithin walking distancehot waterluxurycitysoapratestoilet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I've just asked my booking agent to find me another place next time. This hotel is not for me.

The rooms are okay in size, but the beds are hard, the curtains don't close properly and the shower will only fit kids. But the worst is the noise. The front rooms have the traffic and subsequent smell, the back rooms the noise of some night club until 3 AM. You can also hear what's happening in the other rooms clearly, people scraping their throats or worse. Yak!

The breakfast won't please any European or American. Terrible coffee and most of the displayed food is not what tou want to eat in the morning, like olives and the likes.

The staff is friendly, but if you look at the state of the place and how they hang around the breakfast buffet, they obviously don't care about their guests.

Like I said, not for me.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Toekook
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Reading a previous review 'you get what you pay for', I am not even sure about that statement! Its not at all worth the money I'm paying (120 USD). I would not recommend staying here unless you're not bothered by noise or drab interiors. I am staying here for business and was booked in automatically by the visiting office here in Almaty. I had heard from my colleague who had stayed here before that it was noisy and 'depressing'. I suppose the depressing part comes from the outdated, rather dark decor of the rooms, which I could.stand for this amount a night (compared to the more expensive hotels) but I thought 'how bad it could it be'? Its convenient to the office, to some nice ambient restaurants, and Silk City shopping center. Well, I have gotten my answer 2 out of 3 nights in a row. The walls and doors are paper thin, there are several groups of loud, obnoxious men coming in from a night out and I was disturbed from sleep from 11 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. and probably later (at this time, the ear plugs go in) for two nights. Men have been walking up and down the corridors, talking really loudly, one was shouting in a foreign language on his cellular phone and after I had to open my door four times unsuccessfuly telling them to please be quiet and be respectful, it continued to happen and I went to complain to reception knowing it was probably futile. I would have rather paid an extra 100 USD a night to stay at another well-rated hotel even if not as convenient to the office. The good? Rooms are quite spacious (though small bathroom, must run shower for awhile to warm up the water). Breakfast is so-so, but the best thing is one of the young women at the front desk's s evening staff is very smiley and helpful and speaks pretty good English. She helped me change rooms to the back of hotel as quickly as possible after the first night of the noisy street and awful, noisy neighbors who thought it would be fun to try to wake up their neighbour/friends and blare their TV. I only give the rooms a poor rating because of the lack of sound proof. They are outdated and a bit 'tired' but clean and an inexpensive minibar.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are generally more quiet (although it will not save you from the corridor banter!)
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Average price, not 4 star, internet only works in foyer, helpful staff , room fine, breakfast good. local bar across the road full of characters, Price reasonable for Almaty, forget the stars you get what you pay for, no more and no less. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank jimmythewan
Reviewed June 27, 2011

We checked in here as a group of 6, as all other hotels in town were either full or over $300 per night for a basic twin. madness in a town which is based in a low income country such as kazakhstan.
Ambassador was an average 3 star hotel with a tired feel and basic amenities. Air con was ineffective and wifi was particularly annoying and unusable. Lift was antique.
Breakfast was basic but had the essentials. Location was good - with a variaty of shops, parks, cafes and restaurants within 500m of hotel. No maid
Easy to get taxis' outside and reception were very helpful with maps and advice. 3 nights here was enough to see Almaty and probably would not return. No complaints.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2011

I travel to Almaty a couple of times a year on business and our local contact always books us at the Ambassador Hotel. To be honest, I have never stayed anywhere else recently in Almaty, so I cannot compare this hotel to the others in town. I can say that it does the job well. The rooms are bit past their prime, but are comfortable, clean and peasant enough. The internet connection is strong when it works, which is nearly all of the time, i.e. MOST of the time but not always.
I cannot comment on the price because we have a special rate, which works out very reasonable.
The location is good.
A big plus in this hotel is the restaurant: breakfast and lunch are pretty boring but in the evening, the menu is varied and the food really good. The price is also very reasonable.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business