“Is the famous Medeo place”

Medeu Skating Rink and Ski resort
Ranked #1 of 203 things to do in Almaty
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Medeu Alpine Sports Complex is located in picturesque canyon Ile Alatau on 1691 metres high above the sea level. The highest ice skating rink in the world. • Working schedule: whole year • Activities in winter: ice skating • Activities in summer: skating, bicycles, skateboarding, streetball and volleyball. • Ice field area: 10 500 sq.m • Average temperature: summer time +20 C, winter -10 C •
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Almaty, Kazakhstan
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Is the famous Medeo place”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

It is open air, but you can ice skate there all year around. Very nice ice, smooth. And view is nice also.

Visited January 2013

• Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great sense of outdoor life would have been great to skate but I only had half an hour Lovely escape from city”
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Took a taxi from holiday inn, Almaty. 10000 tenge (c60 dollars) which bearing in mind how expensive everthing is I though that was ok. Driver took me there , waited half hour and drove me back.

Keep an eye out for the metal dams on the way up to stop the mudslides , the locals by the road selling their apples even in minus degrees and the people from out of the city with their horses .

Only downside I don't speak Russian or kazak so couldn't get him to stop so I could photo dams. And couldn't find tourist shop.

If I went up again I would take gonadal to chimbulak ski resort

What is lovely is its families outdoors doing stuff.

Canberra, ACT
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Medeu Skating Rink.”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

This is the end of the public bus lines. This Soviet era facility is one of the highest ice skating rinks in the world and many speed records were broken here. It was renovated for the last Asian winter games and is again an attractive facility.

It is a good stopping point for the walk to the top of the earthern dam behind the rink. This dam was built to give Almaty protection from mud slides from the mountains above the city.

It is a good walk to the top and there are about 850 steps - take water in summer as it is a challenging trip.

Visited May 2012
Izmir Province, Turkey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Pity it was closed”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We got on the bus from outside the kazakhstan hotel. 100 people crammed on a bus with 15 seats for the 40 minute journey. There is only one bus every 40 minutes but this is the way to travel (do it with the locals) It was July and we got the only rain in 20 years and as we had no umbrella ended up slightly damp. Medeu is closed from April to September so be warned, there is no skating except in the colder months. We walked up the 950 steps to the top though which was a good bit of exercise. Only one pretty poor cafe up there and a toilet like Dr Who's TARDIS. You could smell it from 20 metres too, so "GO" before you go. It was cloudy so the snow capped mountains were not visible for most of the time. Back down, only one restarant open, a themed mexican, pricey but we had coffee. the place has to be seen though

Visited July 2012
2 Thank minerman56
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Hire skates not sharpened since the 80's! Skid all over the cracking ice”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Well it was certainly an experience, skating at this world class Skating Rink (170 records broken here!)! We hired some skates. They were similar to the ones I had when I learnt to skate on the Amsterdam lakes in the early 80's. I imagined that as long as the blades had been sharpened, they'd do the job. Now I'm no great skater, but I'm pretty competent. The minute I stepped my skate on the ice, I was skidding all over the place - the was zero grip from the totally blunt blades. I went back to the hire kiosk and explained the problem, requesting some sharper blades. I could see from the look on the sweet guy's face that this was possibly not going to be fulfilled. He felt ALL the other size 39 blades and picked the best ones... I had semi-high hopes. And they were marginally better, but it simple was no fun. A lady selling ice zimmer frames tried to sell me one to 'help' me along. But I was going to need more than one of those if I'd ever be able to relax on the ice - which by the way was cracking underneath me as I slowly passed over it. I gave up after 5 minutes. The guy at the kiosk gave me a refund for the hire, so at least I didn't lost out on that. Go if you want to have your worst ever skating experience at the rink that has had 170 world records broken on it - somehow. Or take your own skates - that might make the difference.

Visited March 2012