“Appalling!!!”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Appalling!!!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My only visit to Almaty Zoo was on a fact-finding tour in July 2008 before moving here with my family. Having lived in South Africa for years with access to their great national parks I am no great fan of zoos but this one is just terrible.

The animal cages / enclosures are small and poorly maintained and the bears appear to be suffering from mental illness due to the tiny size of the cages they are crammed-in. It is like walking into one of those wildlife programmes showing how badly people treat animals.

I am just glad I went there myself and saw it before I went with my family as I would not want to have upset them with the state of the place....

Visited October 2011

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Big zoo”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Our zoo is good enough to check this place when visit our beautiful city first time. But for constant residents there is no many changes during last 15 years.

Visited August 2012
Izmir Province, Turkey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Oh dear!”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Considering the esteem the Soviets give bears, the manner in which bears are kept in Almaty zoo is horrendous. I thought the big cats had it rough, then I saw the monkeys and that was enough to bring a tear to a hard man's eye, but the bears, both brown and polar, I could not look at them. Words fail me here to describe the conditions and lifestyle they have to endure. Go to Gorkey park and enjoy its attractions, but don't cross the road to the zoo, it will spoil the memory of a good day out.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank minerman56
Almaty
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“dirty poor animals”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Though the Almaty zoo is considered one of the biggest in the ex USSR, with plenty of space, the cages of many of the animals are in a bad condition, as well as the animals themselves. Dirty, stinky, shabby constructions dont let the animals feel good and they look sooo sad and hungry. Every time we visit it, I see no improvements, unfortunately. We stopped going there for not being depressed.

1 Thank Argia-kz
Ventspils, Latvia
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Not for everyone”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Just not very attractive or appealing. I love animals and don't like zoos in general, and this one is not one of the best, so not a draw unless you really need to see live examples of (e.g., yaks). Actually, for me it was more enjoyable to see the thronging families and get off on their pleasure.

Visited September 2011