“Nice and cosy hotel”

Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Almaty
Paris, France
“Nice and cosy hotel”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

It was my first time in this hotel and I was not disappointed!
The staff is very friendly and helpful. The food is good, room service is fast and breakfast generous with great variety of food :)
The Spa seems nice, the sports room is quite big and pool fabulous!
Really recommanded.
Free wi-fi

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Ibrahim C, General Manager at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all, on behalf of the Team of Rixos Almaty we would like to thank you very much indeed for your choice of our hotel as an accommodation for your lodging needs here in Almaty.

Thank for taking the time to write about us on Tripadvisor. We greatly appreciate your kind words about our hotel and its various outlets. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Moreover, we are happy to hear your praise regarding comfort of the room and service provided by our staff as we feel these are all crucial aspects of complete guest satisfaction.

Looking forward to seeing you soon at Rixos Almaty,

Ibrahim Celik,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Almaty, Kazakhstan
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Excellent experience at this hotel. Very clean and very centrally located. Beautiful built, nicely designed rooms. It's a pleasure to stay in this Hotel and celebrate Valentine's Day. I think this is the best hotel in Almaty.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ozcan K
Ibrahim C, General Manager at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you taking out your precious time to write a review of us here on Tripadvisor. I sincerely appreciate your kind feedback. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your Valentine stay with us. And, extremely pleased for your rating our hotel as one of the best and recommending us on Tripadvisor.

Looking forward to welcome you back,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Had one of my best stays in Almaty, this is by far the mist amazing hotel, beautiful built, nicely designed rooms,it's a pure pleasure to stay in this hotel after staying in some soviet style hotels in Almaty, I think this is one of the best hotels in almaty, good service, the breakfast should offer more choices. I stayed there for 3 days and the same food was repeated all 3 days.
Still it was amazing stay over all.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank RP07
Ibrahim C, General Manager at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for such a five star review of us here on Tripadvisor. We are very pleased, that your stay was to your liking. Your comment regarding Breakfast in Brasserie has been already passed to our Executive Italian Chef who will work on the menu.

Looking forward to seeing you as a regular guest of ours,
Shah Alam
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hotel is located in the city centre and is within walking distance to most places, even though that may be not a good idea during winter. There is a supermarket about 5 minutes’ walks, also a currency exchange. In the other direction, there is a travel agent if you need any flight bookings. I stayed here for a week on a business trip. The hotel is nicely decorated with huge open space area on the ground floor – the centre area is up to the top most floor. So while you are at the corridor of your floor, you can see the ground floor.

At the centre of the ground floor is a sitting area, again nicely decorated with segments of sofas and tables, which allow you to have discussion, or even have a light meal while listening to the music in the evening.

Below the lobby are the spa, the gym, swimming pool and the grand ballroom. The gym is very well equipped and is located next to the swimming pool. There are also routine programmes on different days, if you wish to join. While I was staying here, there was a wedding going on in the ballroom during the weekend.

Now on the room – it is adequately sized with comfortable bed and sofa. The room is not too big, neither it is too small that would make you feel cramped. I think the size is just nice. The main area is carpeted while the entrance area is wooden flooring. There are the common amenities in the room – coffee making facility, safe box, table, wall mounted flat screen TV, fridge, aircond and heater etc. It is very well equipped room. Well, what do you expect – it is a 5 star hotel after all. The bed is comfortable but the pillow is quite soft for my liking.

The bathroom is nicely done, with a separate wc room, shower room, and probably, one of the biggest bathtub that I have seen – and it comes with Jacuzzi …. Just perfect for you to unwind in the tub with the jacuzzi being turned on. The toilet floor is also heated – nice.

The dining area is also nicely decorated. The buffet spread, to me, is a little disappointment since they served almost the same spread every day. For those who stayed there for a while, you tend to get bored with the same spread every day. One comment that I have is that I found that, at times, the food is not being replenished quick enough ie the serving plate or bowl is almost empty and still waiting to be replenished. However, the room service was quick and the food served was mostly good, except for the fish and chips, where I found that the fish was soggy and tasteless.

One thing which I found disturbing was the level of housekeeping – this is a 5 star hotel and so the expectation is high. Firstly, I don’t understand why the dirty cups and glasses were not replaced after the room is cleaned. They replenished the coffee, tea, sugar and creamer, but they don’t put fresh cups. So how do you make coffee or tea without the cups? On the 1st day, I called the room service to send me the cups to the room cos I thought that the housekeeping has forgotten them. On the 2nd day it happened again, and it continued in spite of me talking to the guest relation at the lobby and the front desk. After a few days, I called the duty manager, and only then, the clean cups were there after the room has been cleaned.

I thought that was it – but then came another surprise – on one day, the housekeeping didn’t replenish the shower gel; for 2 days they didn’t put the fresh laundry bags – the one inside has been used to send my clothes for laundry. And each time I had to call them to the room and ask for these things.

This is a 5 star hotel, and guests are paying premium to stay at this hotel, hence the expectation is high. So, to go through the housekeeping debacle is, to me, unacceptable given the fact that this is a 5 star hotel. If it has happened once, I don’t mind – people do make mistakes. But it goes on and on everyday even when the guest relations and front office has been informed – only when the duty manager was informed that the matter was resolved. The other thing which worries me was that on many days I heard some of the staff dropped glasses or plates on the floor – may be during breakfast, or during discussion at the central area. It gives the impression that some of the staff is, probably, newly recruits in the hotel?

In spite of the above, I would still return to the hotel due to ambience, atmosphere and, most importantly, the staff was very friendly and nice – some of them, eg Osman at the restaurant, would stopped over and have a short chat with you, which is a nice gesture – just a simple question of how do you do or how is your day, just give the impression that they do care for your well being there. I am sure after reading this review, Ibrahim would address the housekeeping matter – I just felt that somewhere, somehow, there has been a failure in the chain of command or some misunderstanding.

Apart from the issues on housekeeping, this is a really a nice hotel to stay.

Room Tip: Get rooms facing the park - better view than facing the roads
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank mcbrain
Ibrahim C, General Manager at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Mr. McBrain,

We would like to thank you for your recent visit to Rixos Almaty and it was truly a pleasure to serve you.

In your guest review on Tripadvisor, you have raised very important points and reminded us how important it is to consistently meet guest needs and improve the service.

We take every guest comment with serious concern and interest and yours is not an exception. I want to assure you that I have personally and immediately taken all corrective measures on the areas mentioned to avoid a repeat of this.

We would very much like to welcome you back to Rixos Almaty Hotel and it would be my pleasure to personally handle your future reservations. I will ensure you are well looked after.

We wish you a very happy New Year and thank you in advance for sharing any further comments on how we can improve our overall services.

Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Awesome hotel. Probably the best in Almaty. Great rooms and extremely hospitable staff. Good dining options for vegetarian food also.

Stayed here for 2 days during September 2012.

There are other vegetarian restaurants walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank indian_on_a_roll
Ibrahim C, General Manager at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for leaving such a 5 star review of us here on Tripadvisor. Your comments are our inspiration to work harder and deliver superior service to each guest of our hotel. We do appreciate your words of appraisal toward hotel staff. Your comments is shared with Rixos Team accordingly.

We would love to see you as a regular guest at Rixos Almaty,

Ibrahim Celik,
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Loved my entire stay there. Overall no complaints, except that the elevators worked really slow, and once it took me 15 mins to get from 4th to 1st floor, when the other elevator was out of order. I am a very impatient person, when it comes to "transportation", that's why it sort of bugged me at that time. : ))) Other than that, rooms, service, food, everything was great, and I really do not use this word very often. Good job, Rixos team!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Irina610
Ibrahim C, General Manager at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your experience at Rixos Almaty Hotel whilst staying with us.
We do appreciate your positive feedback and happy to read your good comments about our hotel, as our staff takes great pride in delivering superior service.

We are grateful for passing us information regarding the elevators. Please, be sure that we are improving it, as we are familiar with its speed issue that is currently being maintained.

Thank you for fine comments on our breakfast served at Brasserie restaurant. It offers indeed great breakfast, with vast assortment and high quality food, designed by our Italian Executive Chef.

Again, we give our appreciations for your honest comments and fine compliments and look forward to seeing you soon at Rixos Almaty.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stood at the hotel for a weekend. The hotel went up and above my expectations virtually on all dimensions: staff service, room, room view, breakfast, hotel facilities, etc. Highly recommended for both business and holiday travellers.

On arrival I was swiftly checked in by a friendly and professional members of staff, which was in stark contrast to my experience with another hotel chain in Astana. I was also very impressed by the view I got from my room, which was facing a garden and had a good view of the mountains.

The room was very well equipped and comfortable with working climate control and heated floor in the bathroom. I was also very impressed with the hotel, which had a lot of space in it and very comfortable lounge area.

The fitness area and pool were perfectly equipped and maintained. I also enjoyed the fact that the pool is not overcrowded.

Last but not least, the breakfast was very good, plenty of choice and good quality, also very good choice of fresh papers including Financial Times.

Overall I am very pleased with the stay at Rixos

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Alps473
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Rixos Almaty Hotel and leaving such a 5 star review of us here on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to hear that you were satisfied with our services and facilities. We will continue to do everything we can to provide better service and look forward to welcoming you back at Rixos Almaty.