“Crazy prices, poor service, weird and aggressive "security" staff” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rixos Almaty

Rixos Almaty
Ranked #2 of 70 Hotels in Almaty
Astana
“Crazy prices, poor service, weird and aggressive "security" staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

Will not be going back. Ended up here because my office booked it. When are folk in this region going to understand and act on the basics of customer service? The lobby is policed by aggressive looking young thugs in monkey suits who look like they want to punch you in the face rather than welcome you. None of the other staff, particularly the males, make eye contact, let alone ask if they can be of help. Where do these people get trained? Have they been trained? One wonders. My room stank of sewage, and so I had to move to another one. If you book a taxi, they call a hotel taxi and add $20 to you already massive bill, just for being conveyed 10 minutes round the block. My colleague and I simply walked to the restaurants, that offered much better value for money than the rip-off Rixos prices. Massage: $100, shirt washed: $12, bottle of Heineken: $12.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sean C
Makhmut Z, General Manager at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Mr. Sean C.
We would like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us regarding your experience at the Rixos Almaty Hotel.
We are extremely sorry about the unsatisfactory level of service that you experienced during your stay and we can assure you that all your comments have been thoroughly reviewed and will take actions.
We do hope that we will be in a position to Welcome you back at the Rixos Almaty Hotel and redeem ourselves.
Once again, thank you very much for bringing your dissatisfaction with the levels of service to our attention.

Sincerely Yours

Ibrahim Celik

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Western Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very Nice Hotel has a bit of a wow! Factor when you walk in. Good Location, Next to a Park.
Rooms Quite Large, Heated Bathroom Floor.. Very Nice, Separate toilet cubical in Bathroom.
Has Bath and Shower. Great Breakfast. Amazing Lobby. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms & Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your five star review here on TripAdvisor after your last stay with us. It is great to know how just one first stay with us can turn out to become a "true love". Don´t let us wait too long until your next visit to the beautiful city Almaty and your as well as our beloved Rixos Almaty. With best regards,

Split, Croatia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I am a frequent traveler to Almaty and have stayed many times in Rixos. This hotel is (together with Intercontinental) probably the best deal for business travelers in the city.

Rooms are not too large, but are of decent size, with very nice large bathrooms and reasonably comfortable beds. Wi-Fi was free of charge, of reasonable speed, adequate for work. The working desks are large, well organized with plenty of electrical sockets. The rooms have plenty of drawers and wardrobe space. Cleaning is not at the five star level, I would give it a four out of five. Also used glasses and cups are not always cleaned and removed from the room. Another glitch is that in some rooms the window doors cannot be closed to the end/locked and in these situations you might get the noise from the street, especially of your room is facing one of the two busy avenues surrounding the hotel. But these are just glitches that hotel could easily fix. Otherwise, it is a five star facility.

Complimentary bottled water is supplied in abundance, since tap water is not potable in Almaty.

Lobby Bar is a very good deal for eating, also with free Wi-Fi. It is a comfortable area to rest and relax with a good choice of food, and friendly staff.

The best feature of hotel is an excellent spa, pool (25 meter lap pool) and gym. If you are gym/pool/spa lover – then this is the best place for you to stay in Almaty.

Breakfast is very good and with a lot of variety food and good service.

Staff and services vary – sometimes you will get a top-notch, five star service, and sometimes a lazy two star service, and for this unevenness, I would rate service as average. Nonetheless, the hotel has made huge progress on this front since its opening days.

The hotel is in a good central location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your tremendous review here on TripAdvisor. We are so excited about having one of our guests writing in such a detailed way about his experience with us. Thank you very much for that. Rating us 5 out of 6 states that nearly everything was to your satisfaction and we are doing our utmost to meet all of your expectations. Mentioning an inconsistent service makes us feel bad since we are famous and well known for our philosophy following our Rixos Hotels. Please be insured that this experience doesn´t reflect our standard. Once again thank you for your great review and please don´t keep us waiting too long for your return visit. We would be more than happy to welcome you again soon.

England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Rixos, Almaty is about as good as it gets for first class luxury in this city. The eight or so high story ceiling inside the lobby shows off its sheer opulence with gold-coloured lifts, statues under porticos in the walls and tropical plants beautifully presented on arrival at the reception. The settees look almost too perfect to sit on!

Prices are high charging 6 US dollars for just a coke.

Go weekdays however from 12 to 3pm and you can pick up a great offer on their business lunch for less than $20 US (2500 Tenge) in their restaurant at the back of the main lobby. Inside and outside seating is available with a snug carpeted restaurant indoors. I had the prawn cesar salad to start before tucking into their delicious thai green curry for a main. A soft drink is included and a scruptious variety of bread.

What I particularly liked about the hotel is that service charge is not added to the bill unlike most other establishments in Kazakhstan and my travels through Kyrgyzstan.

Service is good and unevasive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your review here on TripAdvisor. We are more than delighted to hear that you did enjoy your time with us. Even though it was a business trip... Please, your comments regarding high beverage prices will be certainly taken into consideration, however, please, note that prices within hotel premises are competitive to those in other Almaty hotels as well.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at Rixos Almaty and ensure you of our utmost attentive care and service during your upcoming stay with us.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed here on business for 7 nights, and really enjoyed my stay.
My room was on the 4th floor, south facing with a view of the mountains (and the apartment building on the opposite side of the road). It was spacious, with a decent sized desk/work area and there were plenty of well-appointed electrical sockets.
There was plenty of drawer, shelf and wardrobe space, and the bathroom was a good size with a jacuzzi bath and a decent separate shower.
The only niggle I have is that the bathroom and the room were not cleaned to 5 Star standard on a daily basis - e.g. carpet not vacuumed every day, and the glass panel in the shower was not cleaned for at least 2 days, used glasses and cups not always cleaned/removed from the room. As I said, only a niggle as this is supposed to be a 5 star property.
The plentiful supply of complimentary bottled water was a nice touch.

I ate in the Lobby Bar most days. It is a comfortable area to rest and relax with a good choice of food, nice presentation (especially the mini burgers and the Pad Thai), and friendly staff.

The hotel has a fantastic spa, pool and gym -I had an amazing Bali massage and reflexology session.

The hotel is in a good central location, and there is plenty to see and do in the area.

For Almaty, the hotel is well priced.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BritBoy67
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms & Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, on behalf of the Team of Rixos Almaty we would like to thank you very much indeed for your choice of our hotel as an accommodation for your lodging in Almaty. Thank you for your comments about our overall hotel service on Tripadvisor web site.

We greatly appreciate your kind words about our hotel and its various outlets. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Moreover, we are happy to hear your praise regarding service provided by our staff as we feel these are all crucial aspects of complete guest satisfaction.

We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hotel has good conference facilities with sizable secretariat rooms and conference halls. The restaurants can also accommodate a good number of people. Hotel room itself is well appointed with comfortable bed and furniture. Staff services are adequate and friendly. The location of the hotel is also good with a nice park next to the back of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms & Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest

First of all, on behalf of the Team of Rixos Almaty we would like to thank you very much indeed for your choice of our hotel as an accommodation for your lodging in Almaty. Thank you for your comments about our overall hotel service on Trip advisor.

We greatly appreciate your feedback about our hotel and its various outlets. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Moreover, we are happy to hear your praise regarding comfort of the room and service provided by our staff as we feel these are all crucial aspects of complete guest satisfaction.

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

I arrive with several suitcases, and nobody is there to help me take them from the vehicle. There are 3 staff members standing inside the hotel that I wave too, and they do not come out to help with the luggage. Eventually, I go inside and ask them why nobody is helping, and they say that the bellman has been called. 15 minutes later, and despite 2 more requests from me, the bellman didn't come. During this entire time, the staff kept jabbering on their walkie talkie's but not helping me. There were no other guests at this time, they were just standing around. Why 3 able bodied employees could not help me was beyond ridiculous. Regardless, I ended up dragging all the suitcases myself to check-in. At check-in they could not find my reservation because it was booked online a day ago, and they only update online reservations on weekdays (I booked it in on a weekend), which is a very strange system, if in fact the front desk lady was telling me the truth.

Further, the gentleman at reservations that I called the night before hotel said that I could check in early as there were many rooms available, but at check-in, they disputed that and wanted to charge me another $300 for checking in early. I am a very frequent traveler, and I know that some hotels charge a half-day rate for early check-in, which is why I specifically called the Reservation Dept. before making the booking. The Front Desk lady was unbelievable rude, said I was lying, and then when I asked to speak to the Manager, said that there are no Managers in the hotel!

Eventually, I found a manager and insisted my reservation be canceled so I could stay at another hotel. The manager was a more professional person, and offered to honor the early check-in, but after the terrible service I had encountered, I had no desire to stay at the hotel, even if the room was for free.

I strongly recommend staying at the Royal Tulip instead. Their staff is MUCH more professional.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank lapis986
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms & Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Sir,

On behalf of Rixos Almaty, kindly accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on the high standard of hospitality and professionalism which is the general norm of our hotel.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience you have encountered. And I appreciate you taking the time to advise us of this inconvenience, which is the first step towards improvement of our services.

Taking your comments with full and serious attention, I would like to assure you that I am personally and immediately taking all corrective measures with all people concerned.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to return to Rixos Hotels and I am very much looking forward to meeting you personally during your next visit to Almaty to present my apologies and assure you to do our utmost to ensure the full satisfaction of all our guests at all times.

Your willingness to share your experience is genuinely appreciated. I trust the action taken on your behalf will bring a sense of resolution and satisfaction concerning this matter.

Sincerely Yours,