“A great place to stay”

Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Almaty
London
“A great place to stay”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed here on business for 7 nights, and really enjoyed my stay.
My room was on the 4th floor, south facing with a view of the mountains (and the apartment building on the opposite side of the road). It was spacious, with a decent sized desk/work area and there were plenty of well-appointed electrical sockets.
There was plenty of drawer, shelf and wardrobe space, and the bathroom was a good size with a jacuzzi bath and a decent separate shower.
The only niggle I have is that the bathroom and the room were not cleaned to 5 Star standard on a daily basis - e.g. carpet not vacuumed every day, and the glass panel in the shower was not cleaned for at least 2 days, used glasses and cups not always cleaned/removed from the room. As I said, only a niggle as this is supposed to be a 5 star property.
The plentiful supply of complimentary bottled water was a nice touch.

I ate in the Lobby Bar most days. It is a comfortable area to rest and relax with a good choice of food, nice presentation (especially the mini burgers and the Pad Thai), and friendly staff.

The hotel has a fantastic spa, pool and gym -I had an amazing Bali massage and reflexology session.

The hotel is in a good central location, and there is plenty to see and do in the area.

For Almaty, the hotel is well priced.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BritBoy67
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms & Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, on behalf of the Team of Rixos Almaty we would like to thank you very much indeed for your choice of our hotel as an accommodation for your lodging in Almaty. Thank you for your comments about our overall hotel service on Tripadvisor web site.

We greatly appreciate your kind words about our hotel and its various outlets. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Moreover, we are happy to hear your praise regarding service provided by our staff as we feel these are all crucial aspects of complete guest satisfaction.

We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Director of Rooms and Guest Relations Department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Beijing, China
Reviewed August 1, 2013

The hotel has good conference facilities with sizable secretariat rooms and conference halls. The restaurants can also accommodate a good number of people. Hotel room itself is well appointed with comfortable bed and furniture. Staff services are adequate and friendly. The location of the hotel is also good with a nice park next to the back of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms & Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest

First of all, on behalf of the Team of Rixos Almaty we would like to thank you very much indeed for your choice of our hotel as an accommodation for your lodging in Almaty. Thank you for your comments about our overall hotel service on Trip advisor.

We greatly appreciate your feedback about our hotel and its various outlets. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Moreover, we are happy to hear your praise regarding comfort of the room and service provided by our staff as we feel these are all crucial aspects of complete guest satisfaction.

Director of Rooms and Guest Relations Department
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I arrive with several suitcases, and nobody is there to help me take them from the vehicle. There are 3 staff members standing inside the hotel that I wave too, and they do not come out to help with the luggage. Eventually, I go inside and ask them why nobody is helping, and they say that the bellman has been called. 15 minutes later, and despite 2 more requests from me, the bellman didn't come. During this entire time, the staff kept jabbering on their walkie talkie's but not helping me. There were no other guests at this time, they were just standing around. Why 3 able bodied employees could not help me was beyond ridiculous. Regardless, I ended up dragging all the suitcases myself to check-in. At check-in they could not find my reservation because it was booked online a day ago, and they only update online reservations on weekdays (I booked it in on a weekend), which is a very strange system, if in fact the front desk lady was telling me the truth.

Further, the gentleman at reservations that I called the night before hotel said that I could check in early as there were many rooms available, but at check-in, they disputed that and wanted to charge me another $300 for checking in early. I am a very frequent traveler, and I know that some hotels charge a half-day rate for early check-in, which is why I specifically called the Reservation Dept. before making the booking. The Front Desk lady was unbelievable rude, said I was lying, and then when I asked to speak to the Manager, said that there are no Managers in the hotel!

Eventually, I found a manager and insisted my reservation be canceled so I could stay at another hotel. The manager was a more professional person, and offered to honor the early check-in, but after the terrible service I had encountered, I had no desire to stay at the hotel, even if the room was for free.

I strongly recommend staying at the Royal Tulip instead. Their staff is MUCH more professional.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank lapis986
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms & Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Sir,

On behalf of Rixos Almaty, kindly accept our sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on the high standard of hospitality and professionalism which is the general norm of our hotel.

We sincerely regret the inconvenience you have encountered. And I appreciate you taking the time to advise us of this inconvenience, which is the first step towards improvement of our services.

Taking your comments with full and serious attention, I would like to assure you that I am personally and immediately taking all corrective measures with all people concerned.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to return to Rixos Hotels and I am very much looking forward to meeting you personally during your next visit to Almaty to present my apologies and assure you to do our utmost to ensure the full satisfaction of all our guests at all times.

Your willingness to share your experience is genuinely appreciated. I trust the action taken on your behalf will bring a sense of resolution and satisfaction concerning this matter.

Sincerely Yours,
Astana, Kazakhstan
Reviewed July 20, 2013

While in Rixos for business, I stayed there for 1 night and had a very nice stay. The hotel is beautiful and very spacious. It offers good service and very good facilities. And the food was also good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for the interest shown to Rixos Almaty Hotel.
We are so excited to hear that you had comfortable stay with us! Your comments are a continuous inspiration to our team to work harder every day.
We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest.
Looking forward to your next visit and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Sincerely Yours,
Director of Rooms & Guest Relations Departments
montclair, nj
Reviewed June 29, 2013

A good hotel with great Thai food. Best spa and pool in town. Nice staff who try hard. Unfortunately no one knows how to make a proper cocktail and the restaurant needs to be renovated . On a nice day the patio in the back is wonderful. Try some of the French specialties from the French chefs. Tre bon. Also try the Bali massage from the Asian masseuses.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you very much for the interest shown to Rixos Almaty.

We truly appreciate your time and value your comments left in www.tripadvisor.com.
We are glad that you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for appreciating hospitality and courtesy of our staff, Food and beverage quality, hotel accommodation and facilities. It greatly motivates us to provide the best service for our Guests.
We are looking forward to hearing from you and welcoming you back at Rixos Almaty,

Zharimbetov
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Unfortunately, I had a chance to stay in this hotel, which was booked by our company. Even though, I had booked a week ago, they gave me smoking room #302. They changed it after a day, but it was me who run and begged them to change the room to non smokers. Air conditioner doesn't work properly. These details are for specific room, the other rooms maybe good. My suggestions are to visit the room before settling and to specify the smoker or non smoker, otherwise you will be breathing nicotine whole night long.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid/frank review. We apologize that your recent stay did not live up to your expectations. We take your concerns seriously and appreciate your feedback. We will use your comments to further improve our service. We do hope to have the chance to welcome you back and provide you with a truly Rixos experience.

Paris, France
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Prefer the restaurant for the lunch or diner event if the lobby can be more attractive at the first impression.
Hotel room are quite big and confortable but the style is a bit heavy and old fashion for international hotel. All managers comes from abroad and push there local team. This is an important effort you can feel.
Be carefull of the price and don't hesitate to negociate with the reception they have some habilities to propose you a small discount in case of walk-in !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review! We are delighted to be your hotel of choice here in Almaty.
We greatly appreciate your kind words about our hotel and its various outlets. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Rixos Almaty is aimed to make your staying with us comfortable and enjoyable as much as possible, especially when you are away from your home.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.