“Nice Hotel in an OK Location”
Review of Rixos Almaty

Rixos Almaty
Ranked #2 of 73 Hotels in Almaty
Arlington, Virginia
“Nice Hotel in an OK Location”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Just spent a three-day weekend here with my spouse. We were very impressed with how nice this hotel was. We got a discounted rate through our employer which made the price nice as well though. The service was generally good, although a bit confused since they thought we were only spending one night. The breakfast and other cullinary offerings are very good and the location is okay, but a healthy stroll from any attractions or public transport.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Makhmut Z, Front Office Manager at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear RPH80,

First of all we would like to apologize for the delayed reply, and we highly appreciate the time taken writing this review about Rixos Almaty.

We are pleased to read that you and your spouse were impressed with our hotel. However, our sincere apology for the inconvenience our service may have caused, as to the misunderstanding regards to the length of your stay. We assure you that all necessary measurements are taken, to prevent this from happening in the future.

Moreover, as you mentioned, we are located superior to the attractions, which is worth discover while visiting Almaty.

Again, we would like to thank you for giving us your comments and reassure you that it will be communicated to the related departments.

We at Rixos Almaty hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Director of Rooms and Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I stayed at Rixos Almaty for a week. Probably one of the very good hotels I stayed at. Nice location and good ambiance. It has an impressive lobby and that sets the tone for a nice experience. The hotel has quite a few eateries and restaurants close by within a walking distance.
The rooms were well maintained, house keeping was quick and professional. Room service was prompt. A well equipped gymnasium and spa added to the good experience.

The spread on the break fast buffet was one of the best I have seen anywhere. Food quality and preparation was nice and the staff were friendly and helpful.

My room was located on the side of a park and had a nice view. The bath room with the Jacuzzi and heated floor was out of the world. Amenities provided were nice and replenished daily. Bed linen and towels too were of good quality.

Overall this was one of the best stays I had in a long time.Though expensive, I would recommend this hotel to one and all.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that face the park. Those are quieter and have a nice view.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dear ravimark1,

Firstly we would like to apologies for the late reply, we truly appreciate the time taken to write a review about our hotel.

We are pleased to read your positive comment about Rixos Almaty and we are located, as you mentioned, nicely with good ambiance within. Also, we are glad that the provided amenities and services gave you a good experience and met your expectations.

We truly appreciate your kind words about our service level and our team members, who take great pride in delivering first-rate service. Our Brasserie Restaurant offers indeed great breakfast, with vast assortment and high quality food, designed by our French Executive Chef

Your sentiments reflect what most of our guests comment on, and we trust these aspects separate us from most hotels.

Whether it is the friendly, punctual and helpful staff, the view from the rooms, the airy feeling you get when entering, our 2200 sqm spa or the number of value added amenities that Rixos Almaty provide, this property will not let you down regardless of your trip.

We are delighted to read that we were able to make the stay memorable as the best stays you had in a long time and we truly appreciate your recommendations.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed December 10, 2011

location is more than just convenient especially for those who are on business trip and have several meetings around the town, you'll easily get anywhere you want in 20-30(max) minutes. the stuff is friendly, they are glad to help with taxies (though bloody expensive.. like 7-10 tim higher than a gipsy taxi and 3 times higher than normal taxi service in almaty). rooms are clean, well furnished and equiped (ask for park view). 9 points of 10. lobby is huge. excellent breakfast buffet and best spa in the town.

1 Thank trubo4ka
Makhmut Z, Director of Rooms and Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear trubo4ka,

First of all we would like to apologies for the delayed reply, and we highly appreciate the time taken to writing this review about Rixos Almaty.

We are pleased to read your positive comment about Rixos Almaty and we are confident that we are located, as you mentioned, convenient for business travellers as well as leisure travellers.

Our Brasserie Restaurant offers indeed great breakfast, with vast assortment and high quality food, designed by our French Executive Chef.

Whether it is the friendly, punctual and helpful staff, the view from the rooms, the airy feeling you get when entering the lobby, our 2200 sqm spa or the number of value added amenities that Rixos Almaty provide, this property will not let you down regardless of your trip.

We at Rixos Almaty hope to welcome you again in the near future.

UK
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Spent a number of nights here over the past year. Impressive lobby in terms of height although the decor is anything but subtle. Dubai on steroids. Staff are very friendly although not always clear on what they need to do. Great pool and sauna, nice gym. Good restaurant and bar food is good as well. Very good breakfast. Rooms and especially fixtures are not of very high quality - some are starting to look worn although the hotel is not that old. Clearly they spent more on the lobby than the rooms. WiFi is free although sometimes does not reach to all the rooms. Rooms at the front get more noise from traffic than elsewhere. Best hotel in town but could be easily beaten if one of the proper global chains moved in.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank plunge
RixosAlmaty, Director of Rooms and Guest Relations at Rixos Almaty, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Dear Guest,

We appreciate and value you comments and feedback a lot.
In regards to the WiFi connection, we would like to inform you that we currently doubled the Bandwidth,and we are in the process of fixing additional WiFi antennas all over the Hotel to increase the coverage.

We are looking forward to be your best global chain hotel in Almaty, Kazakstan and hope to be able welcoming you again in near future.

With Regards,
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I recently spent 5 weeks at the Rixos on business. Obviously, any hotel gets old after 5 weeks, but overall the Rixos is a pretty nice place to stay. Beautiful (if Vegas-y) atrium-- if you have any familiarity with the former Soviet Union, the over-the-topness of it will not surprise you, great breakfast buffet, attentive staff. Room service is quick and, in my opinion, above average for what you usually get for room service at any hotel. The gym is very nice and the spa is nothing short of amazing (all services free to hotel guests except massages). Of course, it's pricey. Welcome to Kazakhstan. All things considered, I would pick the Rixos over the Intercontinental on location alone. The Rixos is close to a lot of restaurants in any price range and much closer to downtown, while the Intercontinental is out closer to the mountains-- not really anything there.

The one complaint I have about the Rixos is the finer details-- particularly as related to housekeeping and linens. These are not dealbreakers for me, but they do add up. Almaty is dry, and the sheets on the beds are not great, so there were mornings when I woke up with rug-burn like scratches. Anywhere else, towels that were fraying around the edges wouldn't bother me, but come on, you're charging $350+/night. Replace ALL your towels, hand towels, bathmats, etc. so that they match and don't look like they've been through the same wear as the towels I had back in college.

The housekeeping was occasionally just weird. I brought my own hand towel and washcloth with me, and they both got taken by housekeeping, never to be seen again. The hotel does provide washcloths, but only on housekeeping's own whim-- when I arrived there were two in my room, and within days I was down to the one I had personally brought, which I took to hanging in the closet before I left for work so it wouldn't be taken (until the day I forgot, and it was). Same with tissues-- sometimes they'd leave me a box, sometimes I'd run out and they wouldn't be replaced for days at a time. Once they even took my (hotel provided) hand soap and didn't replace it. Of course, I could have called down and gotten any of these things replaced instantaneously, but it became like a game to see how long housekeeping would go without providing some very basic amenities-- the answer is well over a week, and the day before I left they "solved" the hand soap problem by taking my own personal bar of soap out of the shower and putting it by the sink. Weird. Once I asked the young man who came to check my minibar if I could have extra glasses (which were also only replaced at the staff's own convenience), and he ran out in a panic like I'd asked him to bring me [fill in something illegal].

Another note: the room temperatures cannot be individually controlled, and when the heat gets turned on in the city, your options are (a) heat on; or (b) turn the climate control off in your room entirely. There aren't really windows, but doors that open onto a balcony, and I personally didn't feel safe leaving a door open all night. It got pretty uncomfortable in there until the outside temperature actually dropped enough to warrant the heat being on. This isn't something the Rixos can control, but forewarned is forearmed.

Last thing: ask for a cable to use the wired internet connection. It will be provided to you for free. The hotel claims to have wifi, but unless you're in the lobby or on the sixth floor, it is useless.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if you want a quieter room-- there are frequently events going on in the atri...
1 Thank beckcl78
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity having you stay for 5 weeks with us.
We hope we could provide you a ‘home away from home’.

We appreciate you taking the time to write this valuable comments and suggestions to us.
Thank you for your warm and kind words towards our team and facilities. Your comments have been passed on to the team and are appreciated very well.

We are happy to inform you that we are in midst of selecting new bed linen and terry and we addressed the comments regarding the housekeeping services as well.
Further we upgraded our WiFi Bandwith already and we are in the process of adding additional WiFi antennas to improve the coverage.

Once again we would like to thank you for your feedback.
We are glad to be your Hotel in Almaty and looking forward welcoming you again.

Regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I stayed at the Rixos for 10 nights in October. Overall, I enjoyed it very much. The service was very friendly and helpful at the front desk, in the business center, in the lounge, in the fitness center. Room service was always delivered within 30 minutes or less and was enjoyable every time. The hotel, room service, food in the hotel are all quite expensive.

The hotel has an absolutely fantastic breakfast buffet with everything anyone could want: omelettes made to order, several types of cereals, yogurts, milk, honey, and jams, dozens of types of pastries and breads, fruits, cheeses, meats and vegetables, hot dishes such as porridge, scrambled eggs and sausages, and even soup and dinner type items for those how are jet lagged. I agree with the other commenters that coffee can be hard to come by. I’m not sure if it’s because they’re understaffed, but the servers seem to be constantly running around, yet I was always having to wait for a coffee refill (even if they had just refilled the neighboring table, they would somehow not see my hand gesture).

The lobby is beautiful and has loads of seating, all of which is appropriate for business meetings or even for dinner.

The fitness center is one of the best I’ve seen in a hotel, with up-to-date and very clean equipment. In fact, a staff person is always there to immediately clean the equipment after use. They have lockers, change rooms and showers for use too. The pool is great, warm but not too warm, and plenty big enough for a few people to swim at one time.

Housekeeping was very good in general, though I do wish they would conserve resources and not change the bed sheets EVERY single day. The bathroom was really nice with a rain shower, separate whirlpool tub, nice big vanity, and a hairdryer strong enough to get me out of there in 10 minutes or less!

If you are doing work in your room in the late afternoon/early evening, expect several interruptions unless you put the Do not Disturb sign on your door: the mini-bar checker will come by, someone will come to complete housekeeping, another person may need to drop off more towels, and turn-down service will come by as well, all in about 10-20 minute intervals.

The hotel room is like a lot of rooms in Almaty: VERY hot and stuffy. I kept the heater in the room and bathroom (heated floor also) off and kept my balcony window open as much as I could (given the traffic noise during rush hours). At night it was still quite hot, so I would leave the balcony door open and use ear plugs (when the bass from some nearby club/bar wasn’t too loud). This was during a very nice mid-late October though, the heating system would be much appreciated in the winter I’m sure!

The mattresses are not nearly soft or comfortable enough for a hotel of this price. The mattress is fairly rigid and the quality of the linens and towels is average. The robe and slippers are nice though. You may have to ask for more hangers in your room (I only had 5) and if you need to press anything, you will have to request an iron and board from housekeeping.

Internet in the rooms (at least on the 6th floor) is incredibly slow and my ipad couldn't even pick up the wireless signals. It's still slow in the lobby but at least workable. In the rooms, I required use of a cable to do any type of work with email or internet.

My only other complaint is that I wish they would conserve resources a little more, such as not changing the full bed linens every day, having the card available that says you are ok with towels not being replaced every day, and having the device that controls power working (the one by the door where you have to insert your room key to use lights, etc.).

2 Thank strawberryfrog
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind and positive words towards our services, facilities and especially the breakfast offer.

Your comments and suggestions are very important for us in order to improve even further.
We proudly pass your comments on to our team which continuously strives to make your experience better.

Your comments in regards to the WiFi connectivity has been addressed and we are currently adding additional WiFi antennas in order to improve the coverage.

Once again thank you very much giving us the opportunity to have you stay in our Hotel, and for the much appreciated post here.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in future in Rixos Almaty.

Regards,
Northern VA
Reviewed October 25, 2011

This was an above average hotel. Very nice grounds and spa. Everything (room, breakfast, service) was above average. But it was not as good as the Intercontinental, which you can get for about the same price.

2 Thank Foster32
Dear Foster32,

First of all we would like to apologize for the delayed reply, we highly appreciate the time taken writing this review about Rixos Almaty.

We are pleased to read our facilities met your expectations, and that you enjoyed our SPA. As we are continuously improving our facilities and services, we highly value your comments and take them with sincere interest, as it will reveal where we need to improve.

Again, thank you for your beneficial feedback, we assure you that your comments will be communicated to the related departments.