See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 26, 2019 via mobile

The rooms are nice , well kept - really nothing to Complain about.

The breakfast is not present. You could order from a menu - first it is not a lot on it. Secondly , 50% they did not have.

Apart from that, after the moved the breakfast to the bar on the 7th floor - the atmosphere is good.
The staff is really nice and try their best, but they are overwhelmed.

For the price it is ok- however you find for that price other hotels with better organized service and breakfast.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
Anara202020, Генеральный директор at MAQAN Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2019

Dear thomasnV2101LR,

Thank you for a review of our property, your comments are very valued. We appreciate your feedback about our rooms and staff and your kind comments about our bar on the 7th floor. Here at MAQAN Hotel Almaty we take our roles very seriously and we commit to providing the outstanding level of service to all of our quest at all times. At the moment we are in the process to change our breakfast menu and we hope that on your next visit you will enjoy it.

Thank you again for being our loyal guest, and we look forward to welcome you again in your next trip to Almaty!

Warmest regards,

Anara Kospanova,
MAQAN Hotel Almaty

Reviewed August 1, 2018

This hotel is very good quality and a great location near an excellent Mall and of course, Kok-Tobe. Be sure to use the Y.Taxi app to get cheap trips to everywhere from here including quick and easy access to the airport.

The staff here are fantastic and with less than a full days' notice was able to help us arrange day trips to Charyn Canyon and Almaty lake. I have seen other reviews where people report poor experience with the staff. I cannot speak for them but can say that our experience was excellent and they went out of their way to ensure we had water and were happy and able to do everything we wanted. Perhaps they are responding to previous feedback.

Breakfast is good but a bit too expensive for what it is and it is better to eat out. The restaurant upstairs was not open while we visited but this was not an issue.

Rooms do not generally have bathtubs but they are nice and comfortable.

Inexpensive hotel which stands out from the rest.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Anara K, General Manager at MAQAN Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2019

Dear Daryl S,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at MAQAN Hotel Almaty. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am particularly pleased that you enjoyed our hospitality. I will share your comments with our team.
Here at MAQAN, we continuously strive to exceed your expectations.

Best regards,
Anara Kospanova

Reviewed October 15, 2017

Hotel Maqan was more or less a well-designed but ordinarily-staffed hotel. The position of the hotel is not excellent - it is only 1.5km from the city centre, but you need to get a taxi to and from the hotel every time. The hotel use a “driver” rather than a cheap taxi. If you get a taxi from the city using an app like Uber or similar, it will cost around 400 Tenge, if you get the hotel’s driver, the driver will charge you 2000 Tenge every time. I thought this was a little silly and frustrating.

I checked in early at the hotel, but never once was I told that I would have to pay for that early check in. Then when I went to finalize the bill, they said oh and you have extra fee for early check-in - ah, if you had have told me I was going to have to pay extra, I wouldn’t have checked in early... communication was not excellent with this hotel.

On the last day I was there, the water supply was turned off by the city government, so I was unable to shower or anything. I understand that this was not the hotel’s problem, but still it was a very frustrating experience as I had a long-haul flight to take that afternoon. So by the time I arrived at my next destination, I hadn’t showered for almost 48 hours. I think the hotel could have at least apologized for there being no water when I checked out that day, but they didn’t say anything about it at all.

The hotel is well-designed and it’s nice to look at, but that’s about as far as it goes. The breakfast is ordinary, and it’s very awkward walking into the breakfast room, the waiter didn’t even smile or acknowledge me whatsoever. So I just thought ok, I guess I can help myself.

To be honest, even though the design is excellent, I would spend more money and go for an even higher-end hotel in the middle of the city, that way you don’t have to worry about getting a car to and from the hotel. Almaty seems to be a safe (ish) city, but you should still exercise caution, and trying to get a taxi from the city back to the hotel was almost impossible. Once I had to just get a ride with a random car, another time I got a taxi from a different hotel in the city and the third time, a lady in a cafe very kindly helped me get a very cheap cab through Uber.

When this reviewer, and others say “this hotel is not centrally located”, they mean this. YES, it looks as though the hotel is only 1.5km away from the city centre, but that is “as the crow flies”. 1.5km is an easy walk, but to actually walk in the direction that Google Maps suggests is the best route, is VERY difficult. It requires going through very small residential streets with barking dogs locked up on chains in very close proximity, walking along small trails down a steep hill, through almost a mini forest (with no track at all) until you get to the city centre. It’s basically a cab ride, and there is no other way you can do it. It’s also not a very well known location, so when you do (miraculously) get a cab or car in the city, they have no idea where to go.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear TVH3121,

Thank you for taking the time for your detailed feedback and experience at MAQAN Hotel Almaty!

Here at MAQAN, we continuously strive to improve our service and exceed guest's expectations.
With a new Team memebers we achieved a lot and with each feedback we do our best to make the stay of each guest comfortable.

Best regards,
Anara Kospanova

Reviewed October 6, 2017 via mobile

New Hotel, well made, but air condition does not work yet, breakfast is also not perfekt, but you find something to eat. For the price you pay the service is not appropriate, although the staff tries to help.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Traveled on business
Anara K, Директор по продажам at MAQAN Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2018

Dear Thomas,
Thank you for your feedback response.

We are happy to hear such kind of review. Thank you for taking the time to point out both the positive and negative sides. Next time when you will come, we will try to do our best for you.

MAQAN Hotel Team

Reviewed December 2, 2016 via mobile

One thing has to be clear: this hotel is not centrally located. However, that may be the point that makes this hotel stand out. On one hand you have an amazing view of the mountains in at a detached area, on the other it is located on the right side of the main road, which makes the entire city within the 15 minutes of access.

It is very modern, the lifts, the entrance hall is very elegant, something that 99% of all the hotels in Almaty miss. Contrary to the review of the previous person, I would like to state that the noise is not an issue at all - just a common feature any hotel in big cities.

All in all, by far the best hotel in the price range and one of the best overall.

Spectacular view is the bonus.

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Maqan A, Менеджер по связям с общественностью at MAQAN Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2017

Dear Miras!

Thank you for having used the services of the hotel. We will be glad to see you again visiting us and we are pleased to offer the best for you.

Yours faithfully, Maqan Hotel Almaty