All reviews outdoor bath ingredients snow ropeway onsen wifi
Selected filters
Reviewed May 16, 2017

My friend recommended me to stay in Hotel Jogakura and - I have to stay - it's the best hotel I've stayed in so far. Everything; the food, atmosphere, hot spring, service was excellent. The hotel catered for my dietary restrictions and slightly changed the menu for me, still delicious nonetheless. I can truly feel freshness of the Aomori ingredients; I am usually a fast eater but I ate their meals slowly because I want to cherish everything I eat... The open bath hot spring was the best I've experienced so far. The view was great, and the temperature is just nice. Room was huge and comfortable, with nice view of the forest. Really makes you feel calm and peaceful.

I will definitely book this hotel again if I go to Aomori again!

Date of stay: April 2017
5  Thank roundshiba
Reviewed April 27, 2017

I really loved the stay at hotel Jogakura!

Friends and I booked a stay for snowboarding trip and few days before our arrival - bam - my recurrent injury returned. This prevented me from enjoying the snow to the fullest :( Since everything was booked already, I just decided to go thinking I'd take it easy in and out of the hotel and join my friends in the evening.

And good that I did!

Hotel Jogakura is a place for true relaxation. Sure, it's not so close to Aomori City but close enough to Hakkoda. And they offer free shuttles to the ropeway. Perfect for me because I like peace and quiet in nature.
(TIP: Make sure you book a shuttle bus pickup 3 days before arrival!!! If it wasn't for one friend noticing that, we would've ended up scrambling for transportation.)

I spent my days either relaxing at the hotel, taking an easy stroll in the area or hopping on a free bus to Aomori station and enjoying their local delicacies (make sure you visit the Fish Market!). Just LOVE the seafood in Aomori. And this is THE place if you want to enjoy deliciously juicy Fuji apples. Yum! Needless to say, Jogakura apple juice was to die for even if a bit pricey.

Hotel itself is very comfortable, wifi in the room was weak, but strong wifi in the lobby. I LOVED their hinoki bath and made sure to take my time in there :) Most of all, I loved their incredibly fresh food. Breakfast offered enough variety, and dinner was a feast. My friends found Jogakura dinner especially refreshing after all day in the snow and I appreciated their fantastic ingredients - very nourishing :) One regret - being unable to use their bouldering wall in my condition (been wanting to try, I guess there will always be another chance).

Finally, I'd love to thank the wonderfully friendly staff. Even if they couldn't speak English perfectly, they'd go out of their way to make sure we were comfortable - I couldn't ask for more. Thank you again!

Date of stay: January 2017
5  Thank ToulouseLautrecMonfa
Reviewed April 20, 2017

Would highly recommend Hotel Jogakura to anyone that wants to spend some time in the middle of beautiful Japanese mountains. The hotel is a bit far from the city, so you will have to arrange transport accordingly. Going from Aomori Station was convenient as long as you make a reservation for the free hotel shuttle a few days in advance. The hotel itself is wonderful, the staff are all very friendly, and the food was delicious. I recommend taking a walk around the hotel as there is artwork by a famous Japanese artist all around the hotel. Dinner was a full course Japanese meal with everything from fresh forest herbs, meat, fresh fish, and all sorts of fresh local ingredients. Breakfast is buffet style, also wonderful, with so many options to choose from. And don't forget to try their apple juice, the best apple juice you will ever have. One of the best things about the room was the private onsen with a beautiful forest view. Room was very clean, comfortable and spacious. For anyone that wants to travel off the beaten path while in Japan, this place is perfect.

Date of stay: April 2017
8  Thank yeti4900
Reviewed February 2, 2017

Planned a snowboarding trip to Hakkoda for the Chinese New Year holiday in 2017 and had a great stay with Jogakura. They were able to pick us up from the Shin-Aomori train station and bring us directly to the hotel. The driver even stopped at a super market and let us buy some snacks/booze for the week.

The hotel is not quite as close to the Hakkoda lift as the other hotels but I dont think that ended up making a difference during this trip.

The hotel staff is very friendly and attentive. They dont speak much English but we were able to make it work with broken English and translator apps on our phones. I injured my ankle quite badly on the 2nd day of 7 booked days and they went out of their way to help me book a shuttle to the local hospital and even booked my doctors appointment. The driver waited to make sure that everything was ok and then drove us back to the hotel when we were finished.

As for the amenities: rooms were clean and comfortable, breakfast buffet was by and large the same day to day but dinner was a different and beautiful 6-course meal followed by dessert. Downstairs is a nice relaxation area with fantastic massage chairs. And as any Japanese hotel/resort worth its salt they have a very nice onsen with indoor and outdoor hot baths plus sauna and cold plunge inside by the showers.

Sadly the snowboarding part of my trip was cut very short due to injury but I will likely come back to Hakkoda next year and plan on staying at Jogakura again.

Also, they offer daily free shuttle service into Aomori City where you can walk around and enjoy amazing seafood at the local seafood market.

Date of stay: January 2017
Reviewed October 15, 2016

Terrific base to explore Amoroi and enjoy a true Japanese hotel. Opened as a Ryokan in 1966 and converted to an Onsen hotel in 1988. They have invested in renovations since. The Onsen includes sauna, cold plunge, indoor and outdoor baths . The Indoor bath faces a glass wall that looks into the forest. They offer message chairs, treadmills, and a small climbing wall (they have loads of shoes to borrow). The food is delicious . Full on gourmet Japanese fare for Japanese tastes. If you are a fussy lightweight, look elsewhere. No English menus by the way . They over supply towels furnish guest with PJ's and blue Karate outfits that can be worn to meals. They will lend you a rain jacket. They sell wool underwear and a small assortment of winter sports gear. They do most of their trade during the ski season. Hakkoda is a back country skiers dream according to Powder Hounds " True powder-hounds search for the ski resort holy grail – an undiscovered ski area that is blessed with lots of snowfall, has absolutely no crowds, and freshies galore. Typically Hakkoda attracts hardcore powder hounds who appreciate the joys of deep powder, off-piste riding and the back-country. It is also generally appeals to the hardcore who are intrigued by the infamous “danger” of Hakkoda. This area is well known amongst the Japanese for the ill fated soldiers that perished during ferocious blizzards in the early 20th century. "

Breakfast is buffet style and very generous. Dinner is set menus and can vary greatly. Rooms are good size and comfy. En-suite bathrooms are comfortable and clean. The property has access to trails and is really close to the Hakkoda rope way (a big tram) . A series of figure eight walking trails can be accessed at the top . You can go for 30 mins or four hours. The scenery is awesome. We rented a car as lake Towada and the Oriase gorge are close by. Oriase has many steep waterfalls and easy to walk trails which follow along a rushing waters . Historic Onsens are all over. Oriase craft beer is served everywhere - if you are beer snob and see the Premium Ale, buy it quick as it is he only true "craft" offering. The others are reasonable but pretty standard.

Excellent for rail pass holders- JR buses service the hotel. The offer shuttles to the rope way.

Highly recommend this hotel any time of year.

Date of stay: October 2016