All reviews onsen station onsen hotel hot springs top floor ryokan train jr
Selected filters
Reviewed May 4, 2018 via mobile

I visited Kaisenkaku ryokan while visiting my family who lives in Aomori city, Aomori Prefecture. They have a huge hot springs bathtub at the top of their building. Dinner was great, too. Not like other ordinary-styled Japanese ryokan, they don’t serve dinner and breakfast in your room. I liked this point very much so that you can relax and enjoy your time at your room until you check out. I would love to go back here again.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2017 via mobile

This is a good place to stay 30 minuets by train from Aomori city ( but train are only every hour at 450yen each way). The western room was fine, but speaking Japanese will help your stay. If you want dinner you must pay in advance. There is nowhere else around worth eating at. Pay for the “viking” smorgasbord selection.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank graham_international
Reviewed July 24, 2017

Kaisenkaku is a solid mid-range onsen hotel. It's big, it's got all the amenities you'd expect from a hotel like this, and it's very clean. It's probably the best that can be expected in a minor hot springs resort that is otherwise dying.

Four of us (including two gaijin) came here for one night. The stay was planned mostly as a transitory location in between Hachinohe and our objective which was Ooma (the place where all the bluefin tuna is caught). The hotel boasts a hot springs with a great view on the top floor, and that was exactly as advertised.

But everything else was frankly meh. The hot springs town is non-existent with no shops. The hotel is in front of a highway of sorts, and it's clearly a big commercial operation. As soon as we set foot in it, the Japanese among us (me included) figured out what this experience was going to look like, and we decided to skip dinner and go into Aomori town instead. The best thing about this hotel is the train station, which is only 5 min walk away. There aren't many though so you have to get the schedule from them. Breakfast was totally fine.

If I were to come back to the area, I'd actually stay in Aomori, which has interesting things to see, and some of the most amazing food we've ever had. But if you're like us and you're passing through, it's a perfectly respectable place.

I imagine language could be an issue, but we spoke Japanese, so it wasn't a problem.

Date of stay: July 2017
Reviewed April 27, 2017

This is a great hotel - clean (of course) and with wonderful, helpful staff. I think all of the Japanese style rooms face the ocean overlooking the highway and a large parking lot. Food is great with dinner having grilled scallops and tempura scallops (the tempura is excellent IMHO). If coming from Aomori, you might want to catch a city bus rather than the train. The Asamushi Onsen train station requires you to WALK up and down over the train tracks. There is NO elevator or escalator or alternate way to cross the tracks. Not a huge problem unless you happen to be lugging around large suitcases like most gaijin. This only applies to the trip from Aomori to Asamushi Onsen as the return trip uses the other train track and doesn't require cardio stair work. The onsen was good - not great because the outdoor portion wasn't really outdoor. More like the indoor portion of the onsen with a window removed. Still a pretty decent onsen experience - water was comfortably warm and not scalding hot. Nothing special about the water that I could observe.

Room tip: Japanese rooms (sleep on the floor) have a view of the ocean
Date of stay: April 2017
Reviewed February 13, 2017

This hotel was very large, clean and comfortable. My room had a stunning view looking over the ocean where you could enjoy the sunset.

The tradition Japanese was mouth-watering with fresh seafood like abalone and crab. A thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Date of stay: April 2016