“In the mountains”

Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels / Ryokan in Aomori
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
“In the mountains”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

A very nice hotel - great food and service.

We rode the new "Hayabusa" Shinkansen from Tokyo to Aomori - what a train!!

It takes a bit of a bus ride from Shin-Aomori station (about an hour - after all, it's in the mountains!), but they have shuttle service to and from the main station (Aomori - a short distance from Shin-Aomori station.

Great hotel - excellent service. English is a bit scarce this far from big cities, but quite manageable, as everyone is most helpful.

The hotel

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Korean first
Kaneohe, HI
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I can't begin to describe what a wonderful experience I had at this hotel. To begin with, the trip to the hotel's location is a little harrowing, as you have to take a bus through lots and lots of mountains, and I had some concern that getting back to Aomori in time to catch my train the next day might be difficult. Well, my concerns were instantly whisked away when the bus stopped at the Sukayu hot spring and a very nice, lovely lady, whose named turned out to be Naoko Ohara, waved at me and came over and began to welcome me in perfect English (something hard to find when traveling away from the big cities). She made me feel instantly at home and assured me that everything was taken care of, not only my stay at the hotel, but my getting back to Aomori in plenty of time the next day. With all those concerns whisked away, we whisked to this magnificent hotel building nestled in the heart of the forest (and the snow)! This is supposed to be the largest all-wood western style building in Japan, and it just made me feel as if I were in Yosemite National Park in California, one of my favorite places since childhood. The public rooms were just fantastic, especially the dining room, which had huge vaulted ceilings, and all made out of Oregon pine or red cedar. Just fantastic! All the while I'm being told about all the things to which I can look forward, including my French dinner and a shuttle which will take me to the nearby onset, which is reputed to have the largest bath in all of Japan. After getting me settled in my room, she also took me down to meet Fujiko. Fujiko is a beautiful St. Bernard dog and to tell the truth the dog was one of the reasons I chose this place. What a sweet, cute dog she is, too. So I decided I'd go to the famous spa, and was taken by the hotel's shuttle bus to the spot, where I was able to have a nice onsen bath in the aforementioned largest onsen in Japan. It's also one of the few that allow mixed bathing. When I was there, though, there were only men in the tub, and it was a very nice experience. The baths are inviting, not too awfully hot, and the only possible drawback was the strong smell of sulphur. After the bath the shuttle returned to pick me up, and I went back to the hotel but discovered I could not find my cell phone. When I told Naoko about this, she and Yohei, the restaurant manager, took me back to the spa and helped me look all over, but no luck. What a nice thing, though, to take this time and effort to help me. Well, I finally found my cellphone tucked into a pocket of my luggage, but the point of all this is how totally helpful they were to me, and how nice they were to care so much! Way above the call of duty.

So now off to dinner, in this elegant, vast dining room, and it was all very tasty and good, except that so much of it was fish, which I have trouble eating. But it was prepared and served in the most perfect and superb manner. I was pretty much the only customer that night, so my waitstaff was excellent and very helpful. After dinner I spent a fun evening sitting in the lovely bar and conversing with the restaurant manager, discussing life, art, everything in broken Japanese and broken English. It was a very nice evening.

The next day I unfortunately had to leave, but before I did I had another great meal in this just fantastic dining room. For the first time in all my travels in Japan (or almost anywhere else not in the US for that matter) the bacon was PERFECT! I was treated to a wonderful array of eggs, breakfast pastries, etc., etc., and again in this just totally great (I'm running out of superlatives) spot. One more little visit with Fujiko and the shuttle is there to whisk me back to Aomori.

This is a place I can totally and unequivocally recommend. The place is inspiringly beautiful and the staff cannot be faulted, indeed will go out of their way to make you welcome and help you through anything that can come up. And to illustrate that, when I got to my next location I found that I had actually left something in my room and when I sent Naoko an e-mail about it, she said she had found it and would send it to my next location. Talk about above and beyond! I just can't find the words to express what a wonderful person she is and what a wonderful hotel! If you like a magnificent place tucked into the woods you just have to go here. HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION!!

Room Tip: Just go! I can't think there would be a bad room here!