“Excellent service & great location”

Richmond Hotel Akita Ekimae
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels / Ryokan in Akita
San Jose, California
“Excellent service & great location”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

As others have stated the RIchmond Hotel is conveniently located near the Akita train station. There are many places to eat, convenience stores, and near the station there's a department store. You can buy breakfast groceries and keep it in you refrigerator to cut cost and avoid going out every morning. There is a microwave available for use at the hotel. They do offer breakfast at the hotel but currently the breakfast buffet is Y1,100. They don't offer too much western style food. Maybe toast, coffee, juice, yogurt, sausage but plenty of Japanese food. They staff is very helpful. They will go out of their way to help you get anything or to arrange something. The room has a small refrigerator and a hot pot to boil water for coffee/tea. You can always ask at the front desk for anything you may need such as toiletries, bath salt, shower cap, etc. Only negative for foreign visitors might be the lack of foreign TV channels. Only Japanese channels. Hopefully you're there to visit and not spend too much time in the room watching TV...

Room Tip: I would ask for a double room. Japanese single rooms are pretty small.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I've stayed in another hotel in Akita, but wasn't very excited about it, so decided to try this one. This will now always be my go-to hotel for Akita! I stayed for one week with my daughter, in a Comfort Twin room that was a corner room. It was very spacious for a Japanese hotel. We had two comfortable beds, plus a couch, table, and easy chair, a mini-fridge, and a very long desk-table that ran the length of one side of the room. With free wifi, this could easily accommodate both of us working on our computers, and there was plenty of space for the luggage. There was a nice breakfast (mostly Japanese options but with some western food too, and good coffee). A coin-operated laundry room was much appreciated. An easy two-block walk from the station, with many restaurants, shopping centers, convenience stores, and tea houses in the neighborhood. My daughter speaks Japanese, but there did always seem to be someone at the desk with some English skills.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We checked-in to this hotel for 1 night on the 10 December 2013. The room decor is nice and hotel staff were very friendly. The most important thing is that the hotel reception is able to converse in English.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chua D
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here back in Apr, and after debating which hotel to book initially, I think I have picked the right choice !

The hotel is only 5min walk from station. Like all other Richmond hotels in Japan (I have stayed in a few), this one is clean, modern, well managed and very good deal for the price I pay (I book direct from hotel website). The room is big enough to fit my luggage, and still have room to walk around. Full amenities in the bathroom. There is even a multiple-purpose mobile charger to charge up your phone with.

I would recommend getting the breakfast package, as there isn't many restaurants around the station, not to mention ones that open in the morning for breakfast .... and speaks English ;-) and the breakfast is very good with the price u pay.

I would definitely come back here if I come to Akita next time. No wonder the Richmond Hotel group gets the hotel management excellence awards year on year. Well deserved!

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Marcus C
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2013

A very comfortable hotel with only a short walk to the railway station.

The staff were very helpful with excellent English skills. We used the hotel a as abase to explore the countryside of north Honshu.

Would recommend on the basis clean of friendly staff, clean rooms and good value for cost.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
Reviewed April 28, 2012

The service is fantastic. We were served primarily by Chinda-san (I hope I remembered her name correctly). She spoke good English and she always greets us whenever she sees us. Chinda-san also ensured that we know of the good places to visit and eat in Akita. The hospitality demonstrated by Chinda-san and her colleagues was warm and professional but it never bordered on being excessive. I have visited a fair number of hotels in my life now but Richmond Akita possibly has one of the best service staff that I have ever encountered.

We stayed in a double bedded room. It was spotless and nicely decorated. The management paid some attention to details and this was evident in the room. Examples are: They provided good quality toiletries, there was a spray freshener for our coats and the pillows were comfortable.

We would definitely stay in Richmond Akita again. For the price that we were paying and the service quality, this was an excellent deal.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed December 26, 2011

This is one of my favorite business hotel in Japan because it's so nice in almost every detail. The hotel is quite modern, both in exterior and interior. The room is large enough and well equipped. I really like the way they decorate the room to make it look cool but not over fancy. The staff is very nice and helpful. They keep apologize to me for "not speaking good English" while I think they are already speaking it quite well. Internet-enabled computers can be found in the lobby. And the hotel is not far from the train station, though it takes a little walk to find a convenience store.

As a picky traveller myself, I only found 2 small issues during my stay. The breakfast still has some room to improve, and the room key sensor is not very responsive. But they are small problems, really. For the price there's nothing to complain, and there are countless other good things one can found in this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo