“Amazing stay”
Review of Chottoco-ma

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Takamatsu
Chottoco-ma
Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing stay”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed at Chottoco-ma in December last year for 2 nights. I have stayed many guest houses in my life, but I can say this is one of the BEST guest houses in the world. The place is very very clean and Yutaka-san and Emi-san (owners) are the friendliest people and fun to talk to. I was amazed by their hospitality which made my stay something special. Now I even feel like I have my home in Takamatsu! Takamatsu is a convenient place to go to Naoshima, Teshima etc. and the city itself offers great food and culture (especially Udon).
I would like to say big "Thank you" to Yutaka-san and Emi-san again!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank yukari277

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I've extended my stay at Chottoco-Ma twice - from 3 days initially to more than a week. I find it hard to leave as it has offered very good value for an exceptionally comfortable stay, coupled with great hosts with good sense of humour. The price of a bunk in a cosy 4-bedder room is comparable to hostel rates, but it feels a lot more like a home, with cheerily furnished living room and common areas and well-kept bathrooms and shower. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, and I look forward to returning each evening.

Yutaka and Emi are extremely friendly and welcoming hosts. Yutaka is a seasoned backpacker and fluent in English and Emi is a great communicator, and they both go out of their way to make sure you're comfortable and also endeavour to answer your queries comprehensively (e.g labeling shops on a map, giving ideas for cheap and good local eats, suggesting nearby islands to check out, giving weather updates, etc). They had a bit of time one rainy afternoon so they accompanied me on bikes to the laundromat and then brought me to a local udon joint to savour Kagawa's special udon!

Location-wise, Chottoco-Ma is well-placed for people looking to island-hop on day trips as Takamatsu is well-connected by ferries and passenger boats to nearby Seto Inland Sea islands like Naoshima, Teshima, Shodoshima, Megijima, Ogijima, etc. The guesthouse is only 1 train stop away from JR Takamatsu station. More appealingly, the guesthouse is less than 10 mins away by bike to the ferry terminal, and Takamatsu City has a rental bike scheme for only 200 yen a day, so it's cheap and easy to pick up a bike from a rental station the moment you arrive and start coasting on the bike lanes in the city!

As the Setouchi Triennale autumn season is now on, I cycle each morning to catch a ferry out to the islands to get my daily fix of art, architecture, cycling, autumnal weather, landscapes and island communities... I'm having an awesome time and I highly recommend a visit here!

Chottoco-Ma will definitely be my first port of call when I return again in future :)

• Stayed October 2013