We live in Tokyo and take frequent trips down to Okinawa. This time we spent three days on Ishigaki staying at Club Med. To be honest, we stayed there for a lack of better / more convenient accomodation. The whole Club Med concept has never really been our thing, but we thought to give it a try anyway.
There is really nothing to complain about. Club Med is located at a nice (but not fantastic) stretch of beach. The grounds are well maintained, fit nicely into the scenery, and the resort offers a nice pool area, as well as, a good range of sports facilities. We stayed in a standard room which was clean with a cozy/friendly atmosphere and a nice view of the ocean and resort (it was the 'Diber' building complex). Parking facilities are sufficient and free of charge.
Club Med is all inclusive and, during main dining times, meals come in form of a huge buffet which is nice and gives you a lot of variety. If you love gorging, then this is the place for you. The Bar which is located between the pool area and the dining hall/spa complex boasts a good variety of drinks. However, we felt that non-alcoholic cocktails were not good and tasted as if they were stretched with water/too much ice.
Likes - in general, the resort comes across as very relaxed with a 'beach' atmosphere. You feel millions of miles away from overcrowded Tokyo and it is almost as if you are not in Japan.
Dislikes - the whole 'GO' staff concept did not appeal to us. Sitting around the same table, sharing breakfast/dinner etc with local staff and other guests is not our idea of a relaxing / private weekend. However, there is an option to get a private table (or at least semi-private) if desired. We also felt that the whole set-up and atmosphere was overly 'cheery' and organized to a point that my better half actually felt annoyed and called it 'fake.' Still, it needs to be mentioned, that you always have the choice not to participate in the 'mood' or any kind of activities and do your own thing. Nobody will mind. However, we will probably not stay at a Club Med again. However, we do believe that if you have children, this is a great place for a care-free family holiday.
Club Med is nicely located close to Kabira Bay in lush/beautiful surroundings. Since we had a rental, we didn't spend a lot of time at the Club but explored the island instead. If have a choice, we advise you to get a car and do the same. Spending your time exclusively at the resort would be a waste. For excellent beaches/swimming/snorkeling, drive to Yonekura Beach or, even better, Sunset Beach where we spent 5 hours alone on the beach wihthout encountering anyone else; fantastic. If you want to check out neighboring islands, take the 10 minutes ferry down to Taketomi Island which boasts a beautiful Ryukyu style village and is best explored by rental bicycle.
Overall, if you want to take a family vacation or simply love interacting/getting to know other people for a couple of days, Club Med is the place for you. Based on our preferences, we will pick a different hotel/resort next time around.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kabira peninsula is located on the north-west part of the Island of Ishigaki. This Resort stands opposite a white sandy beach where the sea is extremely clear. The high quality of the underwater world and the wealth of fauna and flora make the bay of Kabira Japan's most beautiful diving spot. Kabira is also an excellent starting point from which to explore the purest of Japan's traditions. For all the family to discover, this Resort is an excellent way to fall for the charms of Asia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Club Med so you can book your Club Med Kabira Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Med Kabira Beach Hotel Ishigaki
- Club Med Ishigaki
- Club Med Kyushu-Okinawa
- Ishigaki Club Med
- Club Med Kabira Beach Ishigaki, Japan - Okinawa Prefecture