“Amazing beaches, great holiday”

Club Med Ishigakijima
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels / Ryokan in Ishigaki
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have been to Club Med Cherating & Bintan previously but this one is by far the nicest. Accessibility will be an issue if you are not residing in Japan and are looking for a short, quick getaway. The rooms are clean & tidy if not luxurious. Compared to other Club Meds, this is pretty small. But it sure makes up for it by having great beaches. The seas are calm and my children had a great time snorkelling & windsurfing. My only regret is not being able to book a fishing trip during my stay there. The GM and his GOs are simply great! They make you feel so at home.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Edmlee26
Write a ReviewReviews (1,193)

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I would like to take this opportunity to commend the entire team at Club Med Kabira. I went on my first Club Med holiday just over a year ago and loved the Club Med concept and particularly the circus/trapeze, since then I have had several holidays to Asian CM's. I can unequivocally say that Kabira stands out amongst all the resorts I have been to and is easily my favourite CM resort so far, and this was my most relaxing holiday ever. The location is naturally spectacular - the water is warm and crystal clear making for amazing snorkelling (thanks Rob for encouraging me to do this). The food is fantastic, I am vegetarian and the kitchen staff were more than happy to increase the vegetarian selection when they were made aware of my dietary needs (thanks Ben-G). The pastry chefs at Kabira are fantastic with amazing, varied desserts every day. The selection of activities is vast and every day I did yoga (thanks Love), snorkelling, walked/ran around the Island and trapeze. This is only a small selection of the activities that are available with tennis, water sports (windsurfing, kayaking, stand-up paddle board), archery, and mountain biking amongst the things I did not try. This resort manages to achieve a great balance between fun and serenity.

The whole GO team were truly amazing and accommodating but there are a few people I would like to single out:

Lori in excusions: Lori went above and beyond to ensure that as the only english-speaking GM on our tour to Taketomi island I was able to understand and appreciate all the sites and I truly felt that she was acting as my private guide (and at the same time she managed to ensure that everyone else in the group did not feel excluded). I don't think I can recall a moment I didn't see her with a smile on her face. The tour to Taketomi island is worth doing and quite good value.

The entire circus team: Ben-G, Kumar and Ken. Of course as I love trapeze I spent quite a lot of time at the trapeze and received excellent tuition from these guys. Although the trapeze is closed at the moment on Wednesdays they make up for it by having 2 sessions for adults on the other days and although it was quite busy due to popularity the guys made sure everyone had plenty of turns by running it very efficiently - and at the same time managing to give every guest individual attention. All the evening circus shows were fantastic and great to see the skills of the other GM's in these shows.

Marco: he must be one of the funniest people I have EVER seen. He makes all the shows incredibly entertaining.

Ghazzo of course (Interim CDV) - from the moment I met him he made me feel like I was a VIP and it is clear he is able to make all guests feel like this. He truly embodies the CM spirit. His attitude is reflected in the rest of the village. His character brings out the best in his GO's and he takes pride in seeing their skills on show. It is not common to meet a person who is able to lead a large team without stifling the personalities and talents of its members.

I have encouraged family and friends to holiday at CM since I first went and they have all returned with positive reports. I will definitely be recommending they travel that little bit further to go to Kabira. Also, there are now flights from Taiwan to Ishigaki twice a week which makes travel time shorter. As an english-speaking guest travelling alone I never felt that this negatively impacted on the enjoyment of my stay. I met lots of other guests and have made some great friendships despite relative language barriers. If you are an english-speaking tourist and have concerns about traveling to Kabira due to language barriers then you should rest assured, the is not an issue at all. GO!! Overall a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank MSMSMSM
Reviewed June 9, 2014

This was our first time at a Club Med and I viewed it as a one time splurge because I don't expect we will ever be living near another Club Med location. As many have said, it has a gorgeous location. The staff were all quite friendly and it's always a nice touch when the manager of a property (in this case Nicola) introduces themselves when you first arrive. And that wasn't the last time we saw him; he was always quite visible and available if you needed something.

These were things I liked:

--There was laundry equipment available for you to wash your clothes yourself: 200 yen to wash/100 yen to dry and detergent was sold in the boutique
--There was a movie channel showing movies in English
--The minibar items on day one are free: nuts, mini can of coke, small box of orange juice, green tea, and 2 bottles of mineral water. You're encouraged to refill your water bottles in the bar during your stay.
--Personal service by the GO's: we saw Dogan every night in the dining room. He was very attentive. One night I realized at 6:59 pm that I had neglected to stop by the Discoveries office to book a tour we wanted to go on in the morning. I knew they closed at 7:00 pm so I flagged Dogan down and he contacted them. He returned to our table and told me they would wait for me so I went down there and got signed up for the tour.

Things I didn't like:

--the bed was uncomfortably firm for my taste, but I was able to sleep so I guess it wasn't too bad
--wifi service is dismal. I know others have complained it is slow and that's true but for me only about 60% of the pages I attempted to visit would even load.
--food was just OK except for the fabulous Ishigaki beef, which I recommend and you must order it the day before and pay an additional fee between 5,000 and 6,000 yen per person
--there is no room service, and no food available anywhere once the dining room ends dinner service at 8:30 pm.

It wasn't a huge deal to me, but my husband and I went to the front desk one night and asked just to be sure that there was no room service. We were told there wasn't. But one of the staff suggested we ask to wrap up something from the dining room at dinner if we thought we'd like something to eat for later.

So on the last night of our stay, the desserts were really good and my husband approached the chef standing behind the dessert table and asked if he could take 2 out. The chef said it was OK as long as he wrapped it and placed plastic wrap around the 2 items. (by the way don't miss the lemon mousse!) Since you are encouraged to settle your account the night before check out, we went by the front desk to take care of that after we left the dining room. But as we were inquiring about settling our account, the front desk person saw the food in my husband's hands and volunteered: "Usually you aren't supposed to take food out of the dining room!" My husband said, "Well, I asked in the dining room, and I was told it was OK if it was wrapped up but I can give it to you if it's not allowed." And she responded by saying, "no, you don't have to give it to me, but usually you aren't supposed to take food out." Well, if we weren't on my last night of our stay, I might have asked Nicola what the official policy is just for clarification but since we were checking out the next morning, I let it go. But if an employee hadn't actually made the suggestion to us that we ask to wrap up some food for take away, it never would have occurred to us to do it in the first place.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pugmama-san
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The location is at Northwest tip of Ishigaki island and surrounded by white beach and blue ocean. The setting is beautiful and natural. We have been to Clubmed Guilin. Comparing to vastness of Guilin Clubmed, the site is very compact, but more walkable, which I like a lot. The pool, which sits in front of the reception building and next to the bar, is the center of all activities. There are a gym, trapeze ground, PingPong tables, soccer field and tennis courts in the resorts . The popular water sports activities include snorkeling, windsurfing and Kayaking, diving it available but you have to pay separately.

We participated in tennis class, yoga class and various water activities. The Kabira village nearby is 4km away and I had a few runs to there, enjoyed the Kabira bay park and the scenery on the road. The kids enjoyed themselves in Miniclub. Fion, Otta, Diego, Da and Manami in MiniClub are great GOs. All GOs are friendly and attentive. Robert and Kris of water sports department and Gary in front desk. Mizo gave us a refreshing Mountain bike tour, thank you. Thanks to the village chief Nicola to put everything together.

The food is good. had dinners with different themes like Asian, Okinawa and French. The beef we had in Ishigaki town was the best.

The only complaint is the wifi is kind of slow, but vacation is supposed to be relaxed and away from the electronics.

had a good time, highly recommend it, especially for family with kids. will probably come back.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank zhgzhao
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This was by far one of the best vacations I have ever had. My girlfriends and I stayed there for four days. The staff was so attentive and they always made sure we had what we needed. It was very hard to leave. I loved the combination of relaxing, sports and party. The welcome at the reception really was nice. I can not say enough about Mizu, Mobeen, Lorenzo, Roy, Risa, and Robert. It wouldn't have been the same vacation without them.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Rena S
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed one week in January 2014. The family of four (with one child 7 years) from Los Angeles, USA. By all means, we had a wonderful time. Very elegant resort. Managed by outstanding team led by the village chief Nicola (nice, caring, friendly and, in overall very professional). Many thanks to Gary (in reception), Enda (dining superviser), Mizo (archery and fitness), Jeremy (thanks for the well-done meet in the restaurant), desert and bread chefs, snorkeling team, mini- club team, Talei (from South-Africa). Rooms were very well designed reflecting the Japanese culture.
Location is exclusive and exceptionally beautiful. Beach and snorkeling, despite of winter season, are amazing. Food and service were fantastic.
Most of GOs speak good English.
All names and labels throughout the village are in both Japanese and English.
Will come back in the Summer time.
Highly recommend to our friends.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Oksana K
Reviewed December 6, 2013

This is a once in a lifetime experience Club Med. The staff treat you like royalty. The moment we arrived, staff greeted us at the door with a big smile and warm hello. Staff cater to guest needs. This is an all Inclusive Resort. This includes all your alcoholic beverages, and food. The dining experience is wonderful. The food is excellent. Several dishes and cuisines to appeal to any palate. The staff are creative and show case their talents with evening shows. Nice amenities. Beautiful scenic beach views. Unfortunately the weather did not permit water activities during my visit. Comforting to know for future visits, snorkeling, diving, kayaking activities are available and included.

Room Tip: The steps are steep to the rooms. If you have any back issues or pain request lower level room. All...