“Our favorite place to get some good ice cream for a great price!”

Big Dipper Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Apalachin
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Big Dipper has, for years, been our go-to for good ice cream at a great price.

It's a fun, cozy little place. They have some seating and a nice little playground area for children. Though most people seem to like to just sit in their cars in the AC while enjoying their ice cream.

They have a very decent selection of hard ice creams and the basic soft-serve flavors. In addition to a good variety of cones and toppings. I personally like to keep it simple and get a soft-serve twist with a chocolate dip topping. They also have some other selections of foods and snacks that are all of a very good quality.

Prices are fantastic for the amount of food you get and for the quality. A regular-sized family can get plenty for $10 or less.

The service, while limited, has always been friendly when I've gone. On the rare occasion, some of the younger staff/workers can be a bit off-putting (though never rude), but I don't take issue with that. (And I don't take issue with that because the same could be said for most places with younger staff.)

The only slight issues I have is that I feel seating is a bit too limited and the environment can be a bit plain, but I won't complain too much. We've been going there for years and have always loved it and never had a bad experience.

For good ice cream at a great price, definitely give Big Dipper a chance!

Reviewed August 18, 2014

we go here a few times a summer since it is a bit of a drive but well worth it. they can get busy at times so expect to wait (as you would/should at any ice cream stand in the summer), they have what seems like a million different choices on the menu but it is all worth it and wont break the bank. it is visible from 17 and if you are passing by you should hop off and get yourself a treat.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

This place is great! The owner tries to introduce new ice cream and Dole flavors on a regular basis. He also has some food items like burgers, dogs, and snack foor for sale. Ice cream is nice size for the price. This place is crowded most of the time; even at odd hours you can find a crowd. You do have to wait a while if this is the case....the girls dont seem to move to fast. It is worth the wait however. Plus the owner owns a chicken/rib BBQ place literally right next door that you can walk too.....worth going!

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I was on a trip with my girlfriends when we stopped. The girls who worked were rude, the looked down their noses at us. Despite how good the food was, the survive was terrible. They gave us dirty looks and one easily chatted with her friends, as a line of people were waiting, also one of the girls gave another girl on the other side of the window a cigarette.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

During the summer, this place is mobbed, and for good reason.
They use a good quality soft mix, so the soft ice cream is creamy and delicious.
They have about 40 flavors of hard ice cream as well, so whatever you are in the mood for, is on the menu somewhere.
They offer grilled items for meals, but I've never tried them.
Big plus... nice playground on site for the kids to run off all that sugar when they are done eating.

1  Thank Chasesmom07