“Loved the location, great value!”

Beppu Kamenoi Hotel
Ranked #5 of 138 Hotels / Ryokan in Beppu
Singapore
“Loved the location, great value!”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

For it's price, this place is a steal! There is a 100yen shop at the lobby, a Lawson convenience store just across the road, and a huge shopping centre (you me town) about 10 mins walk away.

We had breakfast and dinner provided in our package and we probably made the wrong choice by having our meals at the Viking cafeteria. It was school canteen food standard (not good). A lot of other reviewers seem to have enjoyed their meals at JoyFull Restaurant a lot more!

Great place to stay if you're on a budget!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank holplanner
Dear Guest,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed January 31, 2011

The hotel was much better than I expected for the price that we paid - Approx 15000 Yen for a twin room on the top floor + lunch or breakfast + dinner (3 persons).

I had originally expected a dated hotel but was happy to find that the place was clean, comfortable and spacious. The food @ the Joyfull restaurant on the 1st floor was also very good considering the price.

It was a 5 mins walk from JR Beppu Station and the entire walkway was sheltered (very good since it was winter when we arrived) with little shops on both sides.

A good choice for people who want to base themselves in Beppu to visit the Sanrio Harmony Land, Oita and Aso.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank sgpoonch

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Stayed here 2 night in May in a non-smoking twin room. Satisfactory value for the money.

Positives-size of room, the restaurants on site, efficient staff and the onsen.

Other thoughts-this is the only hotel I have ever stayed at in Japan without a washlet, which I found a bit unusual. The Joyfull restaurant on site has the best breakfast specials I have ever seen in Japan. Egg, bacon, sausage, side salad, mini loaf of bread plus all you can drink bar which includes coffee, expresso, all kinds of teas and soft drinks. Price Y390.

Onsen-reasonable, I only wish the water was a little hotter. Obviously the hotel is very popular with tour groups--I got a great deal by booking in advance. I have stayed at one other hotel in Beppu and this was much better by comparison.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MapleG

Hastiere, Belgium
Reviewed June 2, 2010

this was a good value for money hotel. We stayed in a VERY big non smoking room - at the top of the hotel. Great view and it wasn't expensive! There is a 100 YEN in the lobby if you want a new toothbrush or underwear:) The restaurants in the hotel are cheap too and not bad quality... we were pleasantly surprised and would stay there again. It is not a luxury hotel but it good value!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IrishBearBelgium

Reviewed October 14, 2009

We stayed in the 6-bed room with my extended family over 3 days. I was initially apprehensive given that the rooms in Japanese hotels hotels are very small. However, we were pleasantly surprised by the space in the room. It was more than sufficient for 4 adults and 2 kids with 6 separate single beds. The toilet and the shower are in separate sides of the room with sinks outside each. This really helped in the morning rush. For 16,800 Yen a night, it is excellent value! Couldn't have asked for more. In fact the room is actually designated as a smoking room but when we stayed, I could not detect any hint of smoke in the carpets, sheets or curtains. Location is a short walk from the train station.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank Trumommy

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 5, 2008

We stayed for one night in a Deluxe Double room, located on the 17th floor of the hotel. The whole floor is for Deluxe Double rooms and this room category seems to be the only dedicated non-smoking room, so you'd do well to spend an extra 1000yen to get a non-smoking room, which is also significantly larger. The room is about 35sqm, very generous especially for a mid-range hotel in Japan.

Room amenities include fridge, hot water pot and green tea, flat-screen TV (no cable, just regular inane japanese tv), free internet connection, hairdryer, etc. Bathroom is clean; yes it is pre-fab but it's kind of normal for japan. There's a bath and shower. the hotel supplies toothbrushes, shower caps but no tissues or cotton buds. If you need anything, there is a convenience store right across from the hotel.

The hotel is about a 5 minute walk from Beppu station, perfect if you're arriving by train from Hakata (Fukuoka) or Kokura. In keeping with the slightly tacky but fun and jovial nature of this hot springs town, the hotel's restaurants are cheap and cheerful, full of Japanese families dressed in hotel-supplied yukata (light cotton kimono). Restaurants are Chinese, Japanese and the chain called 'Joyful', which has a mixture of Japanese and western dishes. This inexpensive and casual dining style is great when you are so relaxed from bathing in hot springs; who wants to worry about fine dining and etiquette when you're this chilled out? :)

When we booked we opted for the hotel breakfast (1200yen). If you don't like Japanese breakfast don't opt for this, instead go to the Joyful restaurant on the 1st floor and get a cheap western breakfast there. I'm not sure I'd go for the breakfast again, it was just average and the hotel is in such a good location that there's a lot of choice if you can be bothered venturing out.

On the 3rd floor are the hotel hot springs (separate men and women baths) and massage shops. It was here that I encountered my big problem with this hotel: ignorant staff. I live in Japan and speak Japanese, so of course when I went to make the appointment for a massage I spoke in Japanese. Staff was most condescending, rather than replying to me in Japanese she wrote her reply in very bad, broken English. When I asked her to please speak to me in Japanese, she ignored me, kept pointing to the notepaper. This wasn't the only place that happened; when asking for information on which bus to take somewhere I asked them to write the bus stop name down so I could look out for it. I was told that reading the Japanese name would be too hard for me, so she wrote it in English. Such stupid and ignorant attitudes towards guests (especially to their face) are just stupid and petty and make one feel rather unwelcome and frustrated. I've stayed in far smaller, hillbilly towns in Japan and never been treated like this, the hotel should do something about its ignorant and condescending staff.

I genuinely liked the hotel because it was so clean and good value for money. However all my dealings with staff were so frustrating that if I made it out to Beppu again, I think I'd look for somewhere else to stay.

• Liked — good value for money, great location
  • Disliked — ignorant and condescending staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank bimdonesia

London, England
Reviewed December 9, 2007

We stayed in this hotel on our second visit to Beppu, using it simply as a place to rest our heads overnight on the way up from central Kyushu to Kyoto (we flew from Oita Airport early the morning after our stay).

The hotel offers inexpensive, comfortable and very spacious accomodation within a stones throw of Beppu railway station. The building is relatively modern and consequently does not have the fairly grim aspect of many other of the more inexpensive hotels of Beppu. The hotel appears to be very popular with older Japanese holiday makers who were enthusiastically enjoying the various spas and other facilities.

As to whether this hotel will give you a taste of Beppu, I think the answer is "yes" based on the spa loving hotel guests and tacky yet jovial atmosphere. It didn't seem to be the place to savour the "proper" Japanese hot spa experience but that can be done by one off visits to the various onsen scattered around Beppu.

• Liked — Convenient location, good value
  • Disliked — Pre-fab bathroom
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple