“Great mud bath experience!”

Beppu Onsen Hoyo Land Konya Jigoku
Ranked #7 of 30 Spas & Wellness in Beppu
Shirakawa, Japan
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great mud bath experience!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We found out about Hoyo Land from our hostel. We found it by driving up from the city, though I think you can also get a bus there. The 1050yen price was reasonable seeing as mud bathing is quite a unique experience. It closes at 8pm, and we arrived just after 6pm. The man at the front desk explained clearly which areas we could visit (we were one man and one woman), and asked us to leave our valuables in a 100yen locker near the front desk, which we did. I kept the key on my wrist for the evening. There is an indoor sulphur bath, an indoor mud bath, two outdoor mud baths and an outdoor steam room. I used everything except the steam room. One of the outdoor mud baths had a thicker consistency than the others, which I preferred. My skin definitely felt softer and sitting in the mud for a couple of hours! I had no problem at all with anyone staring or making me feel uncomfortable. Definitely a great experience!

Visited April 2013
3 Thank fatcat2027

• Korean first
Brussels, Belgium
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Good mud bath”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Everybody is naked and 10 or 20 years ago that wasn't an issue. Now women hide and men try to get a glimpse of them naked. I loved the place and there are not that many places for mud bath. For those shy you can take a towel to cover you up when out of the water.
When I was there I saw 2 men working in the women side and they were guided by a local women that didn't make sure other women were properly covered up.
Men try to watch all the time, but woman can watch too because men don't hide it too much. It's part of the fun too.
The place is very good for mud bath so I suggest you come prepared.

Visited April 2012
4 Thank rose m
Sydney
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 216 helpful votes
“Women, don't go! Not safe!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The male employee of the Beppu mud bath (Hoyoland) comes into the womens' change room to look at the naked women. Here is my story.
I was the only woman in the onsen at 6.45pm. I was cooling myself, sitting on the edge of the bath in the women's change room. I was completely naked with just my feet in the water. I heard someone quietly come into the change room behind me. I assumed it was another woman, until the male employee of the onson came over and bent over, not far from me and washed his hands in the bath. He was smiling and trying to get a better look at me. When I saw it was a man, I quickly turned away and tried to cover myself. I felt very vulnerable because I had no cover and I was the only woman there. He left the room, and I went completely into the water and tried to hide between the step and the wall. He came back into the room and then left again. I was worried to leave the bath, because there is nowhere to hide in the change room. Eventually I got out of the water and tried to dress very quickly. I had to walk past his desk to go to the locker area.
He was smiling at me (what a creep). I wanted to leave quickly, but I thought that if I don't tell the management of the onsen what has happened then this man will do it again to other women - he probably does it to other women at the onsen all the time. So I went to the front desk, and the old man there couldn't understand me. He got a lady on the phone and she spoke to me. She then spoke to the man who had come into the women's change room, then she spoke to me again. She said that the man was just seeing how many people were in the onsen. What a lie. Firstly, you have to walk past his desk to enter the onsen, and he knew I was the only woman there. Secondly, why didn't he shout out a warning before he came into the women's section. Thirdly, why did he wash his hands in the bath next to me? Fourthly, why did he come back a second time? This man works for the onsen and preys on women there. Don't go there. Tell your friends not to go there.

Visited January 2013