“A mixture of theme park and spa hotel”
Review of Suginoi Hotel

Suginoi Hotel
Ranked #1 of 138 Hotels / Ryokan in Beppu
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We decided to stay at this hotel after seeing some photos of their outdoor baths at the hotel’s roof, with a view to the whole city.
Apart from the standard rooms, the hotel has 4 ‘special floors’: Cedar, Good time, Grace and Hermitage floor, with more spacious and quiet rooms. So for this view and the descriptions they offer, we booked one room at the Hermitage floor. I should say this was the best thing we did.
The outdoor baths are really amazing and the rooms at this floor very comfortable and quiet. But all around you will find a huge complex, including shops, bowling, karaoke, swimming park, shops and restaurants.
The restaurants are always full packed. The buffet is huge and offers all kinds of food, but peace you will never find there. Old and young people, tourist groups, families with small children and babies, simply all ages are represented there.
So relaxing time was the time in our room and in the baths.
All in all it is a nice hotel to stay in Beppu, but families with small children will specially enjoy their staying there as they will find all options for the whole family.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cecmix
There are newer reviews for Suginoi Hotel

Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights with the extended family and had a great time. We had 2 beds and room for 3 on futons - I much prefer a bed so make sure to find out exact bedding configurations before you go.

The buffet dinner/breakfasts are actually AMAZING - make sure you go down very hungry! Wearing the hotel robes to dinner is very acceptable and helps make the atmosphere very relaxed. The outdoor baths on the top floor are also amazing, if a little difficult to find. The laser shows up there at night were a pretty neat touch, especially seeing them outside while in a lovely warm bath. We had a hot mud bath which was nice too, no booking required. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the ocean are wonderful.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nz_rachel
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed here five times in a year since we joined a kind of inexpensive bus tour a year ago. If you live in Northern Kyushu or western part of Chugoku, you can join the inexpensive bus tours which include a round trip fee from some major cities like Fukuoka, Kitakyushu, etc. and one-night stay including two meals.

The buffet dinner and breakfast are incredibly high-levelled. (Beverages are not included for the basic pay.) I think their selection of wine is not good enough( it is a pity.), but try Oita sake or Kyushu shochu, instead. Dessert is excellent! I heard a professional from France trained them.

You would enjoy all kinds of onsen hot baths here. Our hot baths in Japan are basically divided into two-for men and women. They recently made a mixed bath where you must wear bathing suits, although it is not so big. I would recommend this hotel to you, the tourists from outside of Japan, who want to experience the Japanese onsen hot spa

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tadJapan
Reviewed December 7, 2010

The open air rooftop bath was worth the stay. However, as overnight guests you also have access to family baths, which require a reservation. When I called to make a reservation, I was informed it cost an additional 2500 yen.

I requested a Japanese/Western mountain side non-smoking room and received a Japanese/Western ocean side room with a prior guest who was a HEAVY smoker. The tatami room was nice, although showing its wear. The Western part of the room was severely dated: the twin beds were old and uncomfortable, the covers were blankets and not duvets, the chairs and carpets were worn, and the nightstand looked older than I am (complete with knobs and dials that I am sure were all the rage in 1970). The bathroom was equally unimpressive, but functional. Internet is in the lobby only.

The hotel is huge, similar to the experience of a cruise ship on land. It is very amusement-park-ish, but that is part of its fun.

The buffet (we only had breakfast) was huge with many offerings and a decent quality of food, however, you dined in a cafeteria with hundreds of other people. We had a lovely romantic dinner at their rooftop Japanese restaurant, although it was grossly overpriced. We had a lovely romantic dinner at the more moderately priced izakiya, and I highly recommend it.

So, get the more expensive rooms - Japanese style if you can sleep on futon - and indulge in the wonderful baths!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 1Wanderer2Another
Reviewed March 25, 2010

We had a beautiful traditional japanese style room, which was kind of big contrast to other parts hotel except for the onsen area. The onsen was a truly beatiful and relaxing experience. Our now 4 year old still talks about going to that onsen after sunset!

The middle part of hotel was also very japanese in a modern way (i.e. games, shops, bowling arena). The Acquabeat waterpark was a bit too rough and crowded to what we are used, so we visited that only once.

It is obvious that not many western tourists visit Beppu as for example most of hotel staff did not understand english very well. It was easy to communicate even thought common language was missing..

Location was a bit off so you need to take a taxi to visit places. It is easy to make day trips around Kyushu using local trains.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2010

We had a very large room, with western beds and a japanase living room. We had traditional dinner in room, and western breakfast at the restaurant, all very good.
What makes this hotel amazing is the onsen, the traditional japanse baths, and a huge indor swimming pool with slides and whirpools.
There are planty of facilities for having fun, bowling, game arcades, shops...
It's a must stay for a trip in japan

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gd2to
Reviewed September 23, 2009

We had wonderful time in this hotel. The onsen is amazing. It is huge and you would want to spend hours there. My only problem was that I could not share it with my husband as the sexes are divided.
The hotel is quite far from the center and you would need to get a cab or a bus to get there as the hotel shuttle bus hours are limited. Therefore we ate at the hotel all the time. Also, you have to take into consideration that this is a really huge hotel and the restaurants can be crowded and loud but the rooms are quiet.
We had this wonderful japanese-western room with a fine view of the city and with a private bathtub on our balcony but we preferred to go to their public onsen because it is so fantastic. The room was huge and spotless clean, very good bathroom and a glass shower. It was a fantastic place to wound down for a few days after the hectic visits of Tokyo and Kyoto.
We had two funny experiences in the hotel. One was that in their izakaya restaurant they did not have English menu or pictures of the food and nobody understood English. At the end, they called a girl from the Foreign Reservations department (at 9pm!) who translated for us. The next time we went there, there was the director of all the hotels restaurants (about 10) translating for us :-)
The other funny experience was that the futons were too soft for me and I could feel the hard floor underneath so I wanted to add a few more. The futons were stocked in the closet in the room. After 20 minutes explaining to the only English-speaking person I could find, and after he negotiated on the phone for 20 minutes, he informed me that he was really sorry but the special house-keeping staff for our room cathegory already went home so they would do it for me in the morning. I thanked him and I added the futons myself. In the morning, I had 3 people ask me what was wrong and what they could do for me. They were wery shocked that I solved the problem myself :-)
Overall, I really recommed to stay at this hotel. It makes for a wonderfull fully Japanese experience. I also recommend taking the fantastic Ceada room.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business