All reviews teppanyaki dinner living room private onsen top floor service was impeccable japanese breakfast sea view wonderful hotel free drinks tempura fugu next morning the bus onsen hotel hotel is located within walking distance luggage
Selected filters
Reviewed March 1, 2019 via mobile

I booked Hotel Umine after doing some extensive research. I wasn’t disappointed.

The hotel is near the sea. My friend and I stayed in Room 601 on the top floor for 2 nights. We both enjoyed the excellent sea view from our room which had its private onsen and was very spacious and nicely designed in soft colours with all amenities we needed. All drinks in the minibar were free.

The public onsen on the roof was a little small which was understandable given that there’re only 21 rooms in the hotel and there’s a private onsen for each room.

The hotel is conveniently located. We went from the Fukuoka airport and it’s only a few minutes’ walk from the bus station. There’re a 7-11 and many dining options nearby. JR Beppu Station is only about 15 minutes by foot.

We’d kaiseki dinner on the first night and teppanyaki dinner on the second. Both meals were on the whole very good although the kaiseki dinner could have been more sumptuous. When I felt a little hungry after dinner (since we ate at 19:30 which was early for me), I got free and delicious rice balls from the bar which were available until 22:30. I’d Japanese breakfast both days and felt very satisfied.

The service was impeccable and couldn’t be faulted. All staff were very professional and courteous although the 2 western gentlemen in the breakfast place spoke so softly that we could hardly hear them sometimes.

I’d recommend Hotel Umine to anyone who looks for a quality onsen hotel stay.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2018

I really do think this is by far the worst service hotel I’ve ever been to in Japan, not to mention this is a Osen hotel.

Huge disappointed with the staffs’ service, they messed up with our dinner arrangement with no apology was made.
What’s more?
They messed our morning breakfast again by sending a super rude impolite waiter “Alan”or アラン?
Sorry , I can’t really see his name, he tried to hide the name tag all the time.

I booked this hotel because it get beautiful sea view and high score in Agoda ranking.
But I totally regret it ...
I dun recommend anyone who expecting a good Japanese style Osen hotel.

Me and friends (total 7 ppls ) made 2 different bookings.For the health issue, one room we replied the hotel for Kaiser dinner(Japanese style) with no red meat, for the other room, we relied for Normal Kaiser dinner.
Due to the separate bookings,when we was checking in we ‘re not sitting together,the introduction also not happening at the same time.
We’re using Japanese to communicate with the staffs and my friends are in English.

So then when dinner time, (we are having dinner at 7,my fds at 7:30),my friends were asking to Teppanyaki room.
when they’re trying to show back the email record to confirm with the hotel staff.
the front desk Jp girl staff asked english speaking staff(who suppose not working for the front desk,and later on who served us breakfast .) to “communicate” with my friends, basically the hotel denied they have ever received any meal confirmation,and trying to force my friends to accept their wrong arrangement. ( But we ‘ve email prove they ‘d email us back after confirmation)

When me came out to front desk and tried to understand what ’s happening ( we know Japanese so should be easier to communicate) ,the Japanese girl just went inside the staff room and only letting the english speaking guy telling us in a frivolous attitude, “Hey, actually I’m not working in front desk, so I don’t know what’s going on.well...maybe is your false or our false”

Well , I do think this is the most embarrassing moment I’d ever try inside a hotel. How can he said that , when we had the email back up the hotel had replied us on our request?

So the next day, this english speaking Alan(?) was suppose to serve us breakfast, in stead of introduction of the meal,or morning greeting.
he said directly to my face,ignoring all my other friends with the same frivolous attitude, “ well I will introduce the meal, you know english any way, so i just use english to explain...”

Seriously , how impulsive are you?

And still the end , we checked out form hotel, we didn’t get any official or non official apology from the hotel.

Japanese hotels are famous for their good service and kind attitude, If you wanna experience this good Japanese culture, I recommend you choose another hotel wisely.

Room tip: If you wanna experience this good Japanese culture, I recommend you choose another hotel wisely.
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank Meow1011
Reviewed October 27, 2018

Excellent hotel, elegant, clean, great view of the beach and water. Best part is the total professional and accommodating attitude of the staff, a throwback to old Japanese traditional ways in a modern 21st century environment. Towels are thick and fluffy, robes, room wear clean. Wi-Fi is secured with separate SSIDs/PWs for each floor with rock solid signal. Food is excellent and the staff will accommodate your personal preferences without hesitation. I will absolutely stay here again when in Beppu.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank kurobune1852
Reviewed May 14, 2018

The hotel is located at the beach and it takes about ten minutes to walk there from the station. Rooms come with a sea view. Our room was more of a small apartment with a living room separated from the bed area, a bathroom, a private "furo" (Japanese bath) with a spacious wooden bath tub, a toilet, and a small entrance area.
The first night we had a set course of tempura which was just heavenly. The second night our dinner was served in the room: fugu techiri.
A sumptious breakfast was served on the ground floor with a nice view of the sea. Smokers can sit down on a large veranda.
Service was impeccable. Of course, all this comes at a cost, but I consider it money well-spent

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2018

Umine was our first hotel after 24 hours of travel from New York. What a great choice! Good location near bus to the hells, and some terrific restaurants along tiny side streets, and within walking distance of the center. The hotel offers water views (across a vacant lot) from our oversized suite with an immaculate in room onset (Room 403). Entry foyer with bathroom, then large living room well appointed with tv and fridge filled with free drinks and a welcome fruit plate. Full dining table as well. Off living room is bedroom area and dressing room with sinks and towels. The onsen is on a private balcony with a shower. All was immaculately clean and well maintained. Bath had all amenities one might hope for. In Room breakfast service (Japanese menu although we could have chosen western style) was a feast and lovely presentation.

Free WiFi worked very well.

Only minus: only one rack to place a suit case upon in living room. No real space for luggage in bedroom. We just opened ours on floor next to beds. Not a big deal.

Staff is smiling and helpful. Limited English was not a challenge as we were always able to communicate well enough. 100% recommend if within one’s budget.

Room tip: Floors 4 and above offer best views
Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple