“Very disappointing considering the price we paid.”
Review of Hotel Shiragiku

Hotel Shiragiku
Ranked #5 of 138 Hotels / Ryokan in Beppu
“Very disappointing considering the price we paid.”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

First off I have to say the staff were excellent. However we were put into a tiny room with a terrible view out of very dirty windows. My husband deliberated and we were upgraded to a nice room. Baths were great, the evening meals were lovely but all in all it's what's what we expected considering what we paid. A smaller ryokan would have been a cheaper and better choice. Wifi tempermental and breakfast ok. Perhaps this is the norm in Japan but we weren't impressed!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is a large Japanese hotel in central Beppu. It is close to the train station, and the main shopping and restaurant area is about 15 minutes walk away.

The Team were very helpful, the tatami room was nice and clean. We had the Japanese dinner in the room - the food was fabulous, and we also had breakfast in our room in teh morning.

Car parking is free - and it is best to have a car to explore Beppu. You can catch a bus to the sand onsen, the Hells Springs and other sites, but they are not very regular and quite slow.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Helena, Montana
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Beppu's most famous resort hotel, the Shiragiku offers large rooms--and a few Western rooms, but opt for the traditional room and sleep on tatami mats and a futon. Rooms are made ready for sleeping while you're out to dinner. The hotel offers 2 onsen (a large and a smaller one) that alternate each day so both men and women can experience the grand bath. If you're not aware of onsen practices, read up on them before attempting to get in the baths or risk offending others and embarrassing yourself. Great for romance and if you want to experience a traditional Japanese onsen resort.

Room Tip: opt for a Japanese room, but beware--there are no non smoking rooms in the hotel, but they will put...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MHL888
Ashburn, VA
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My mom lives in Korea and I live in the U.S. so we don't get to see each other that often. And I've always wanted her to go on a trip with me. I planned a relaxing onsen trip with my mom and my aunt as their early Christmas present. They've never been out of South Korea, and my mom has never stayed in a hotel before. And this one was beyond my expectation. This hotel is not in a tourist attraction area but managed to find it with GPS. As soon as I pulled up on the curbside, 3 staff members came out to greet, and help with the bags. I was impressed with their arrival welcome. I had breakfast and dinner included with room. During my check-in, the Front Desk agent took reservation for dinner. A man helped us with the luggage, and explained features in the room. (I don't remember ever tipping in Japan...so I didn't tip him. Hope that was okay.) About 5 mins after he left, a lady brought hot towels and offered to make some green tea before dinner. We took the offer. Very pleasant lady but awkward because she didn't say much...She left after making the tea. Then went down to the restaurant on the lobby level for our dinner reservation. As soon as we walked in, they seated us and explained about 11-course dinner. He spoke enough English for me to understand. The portions were small, but fresh!!!! All tasted good except for the soup which was a bit salty. We were just too tired to enjoy onsen that night so we decided to go the next day. There were robes you can wear in the hotel, and pairs of pajamas to wear in the room. The next morning, we headed down to onsen. You can get a set of towels (bath-hand-shower towel) when you walk in, and every hygiene items you can think of are there so you don't need to bring anything from the room. We had stayed at Aso Farm Village the night before, and Hotel Shiragiku doesn't have variety of onsens but it was okay. Onsen is onsen. You don't need 4-5 different types I think. We went there around 7AM and it was pretty empty. Very relaxing!!!! After that, we changed our clothes and headed to banquet floor for breakfast buffet. They had both American and Japanese breakfast options. Overall, this was one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed!!!! It's a bit pricey (about $500 for three people) to go often though =(

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed here while on vacation in Beppu. The room was very nice and quite comfortable. The onsen was very nice. In typical Japanese style the rooms changed each day for males and females. One side was larger and decidedly nicer than the other. I was very impressed with the front desk staff. During my first evening I inadvertently left a bracelet in the changing room in the onsen. I asked the front desk staff about it to no avail.. To my joy and surprise when we returned to the hotel after a long day of sightseeing,I was greeted by one of the front desk workers who had located my bracelet. I appreciated that she had taken the time to locate it and to save it for me.
I wish the wait staff had been better able to explain the food we had each evening for dinner. The breakfast buffet was filling and delicious. I very much enjoyed the gift shop.
Too bad bar across from the elevator did not serve wine.

I would stay here again and would recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cecilia056
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is a typical Onsen hotel where the onsens are arranged in two groups, one with two onsens and the other with three onsens. However, they are exchanged on alternate day for male and female guests. That is, guests can only use one group on the first night and use the other next day. We have the deluxe city view Japanese style room where futon beds are laid out at night. The housekeeper will do this at dinner time. We don't mind sleeping on tatami but sometimes it is difficult to get up and down. The Japanese and western restaurants in the hotel are quite expensive. It is cheaper to try some local restaurants near the Beppu Train Station which is just 10 minutes walk down the road. From the hotel photo, the hotel seems to be on a hill but in fact it is on the upper part of Aoyama Dori. The hotel staff is friendly and some can speak English. The is a souvenir shop on the ground floor which has a variety of choice. Parking is free but a bit tight so I had to leave my car key with the concierge. Breakfast is mainly Japanese style and is served on the 10th floor. Overall, this is a busy hotel with mainly Japanese guests. The onsens are therefore quite crowded at night. In terms of tranquility, I prefer the hotels at Yufuin.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We booked a night at this hotel since we wanted a base to see the famous Hells of Beppu (worth a trip) and also fancied trying out a traditional Japanese hotel. Although the Shiragiku looks modern from the outside, indeed much like any other international the world over, it truly was uncompromisingly Japanese, a good experience for that.

I can't claim it was the most relaxing place: no amount of trying to prepare ourselves by reading Lonely Planet could prepare us for the full ryokan experience. We did at some points feel like fishes out of water. No-one spoke English so we had to communicate by phrase book and gesticulation.

Our first misunderstanding was as to where dinner would be served and indeed when. After an unsuccessful trip to the restaurant, we eventually discovered that a veritable banquet would be served in our room. That was a highlight: every conceivable type of Japanese food served by a lady who was also responsible for giving us tea when we arrived and making up our futon when the time came to turn in.

We also struggled to get the hang of the fact that everyone parades round the hotel in their yukata (sort of dressing gown) and we completely chickened out of the communal, single-sex bathing and performed our ablutions in the en-suite bathroom.

The hotel bar where we retreated when our bed was being made up was a slightly lifeless place, but the karaoke bar elsewhere seemed pretty kicking.

We had a good night's sleep on the futon that was put out on out tatami mat floor, but we were grateful to return to our comfort zone in a western-style hotel the following night.

We were glad we stayed here since it was a very nice hotel with really very good food, but I think I will need a better grasp on Japanese etiquette before we try it again.

• Liked — Real Japanese experience
  • Disliked — Inability to fully relax, but this was as much due to my own ignorance as the hotel
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple