All reviews money well spent wireless internet fluent english first floor vent structure earthquake desk castle lobby tv
Selected filters
Reviewed March 25, 2018

There are many hotels in the vicinity of Kumamoto castle, but it was the extra mile provided by the first floor captain, Chris Raku Toshio that made Kumamoto Hotel Castle stand out.

Chris is conversant in English (both spoken and written). Upon booking, he was always prompt and efficient in his email replies and helped made arrangements with car rental company prior to our arrival.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by Chris and he personally showed us to our room. Knowing that this was our first visit to the city, Chris gave us a complimentary room upgrade.

Chris made us feel at home at all times: with restaurant recommendations, solving 'hiccups' with our rental car (including helping us key in the GPS addresses!) and even helped us fix a broken shoe sole!! Despite being inundated (hotel occupancy running at 90%), he went about his work in a calm, pleasant and professional demeanour.

We will definitely be back because of professional staff like Chris!

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank HowMing T
Reviewed February 6, 2018

The sign above the door says it all. This hotel prides itself on service to those that stay here, and apparently has done so since 1960. And some of the guests have been pretty prominent, such as the Showa Emperor and the current Crown Prince (who stayed twice!) ---as can be seen from photos in the lobby.

I also like hotels with that mid-20th century hotel charm. I can remember back to the decade this hotel was established, and so there is a familiarity. Plus, in Japan, you know, companies and teams that have a long pedigree are respected.

Japanese royalty have stayed here, and you too, will be made to feel like someone special. The accommodations are well maintained, and there are several modern amenities in the room. I first came to Kumamoto in 2015, to see the castle. (This turned out to be four months before the awful earthquake.) So I got a room to see the castle under reconstruction. I wanted to visit the site again, as I have before, but conveniently, and with a view. This is the hotel for that, since its founding matched the last time serious work had to be put into castle restoration. So I made an internet reservation.

When I checked in, I was helped by several folks in the lobby, including a Japanese with what I feel is fluent English. I arrived in Kumamoto early, and the hotel kept my luggage until check-in time, which allowed me to go across the street and across the castle moat/river. The room is very nice. Some other commenter here said about tight spaces and the washroom. I (who am a big person and live in Japan) do not see these as major problems. Tight spaces to me are the budget hotel rooms. There is more here.

The bathroom is renovated with touches of the 20th century. It was perfectly clean, and inviting. It had the separate shower head, which I wish would catch on in America. There were bath amenities and plenty of clean towels, everything you would expect for a hotel of this class.

The wireless internet is great. There is a work desk and another, smaller, table that is also functional. The bed is comfortable. There is huge flatscreen TV if you are someone who still watches TV outside a laptop. There are adult beverages for sale in the room fridge. My one question mark is about the climate control, because you can't open the window or a vent, and I stayed on one of the coldest days in Kumamoto in the year. But even the thermostat is 21st century. (It's just biased to warmer conditions in winter, I suppose. To each his own.)

Kumamoto Castle was beautiful when I first saw it in 2015, and they even had actors playing Kato Kiyomasa (the lord of the castle), and two assistants. It was considered one of the three premier castles in Japan. Now, the castle grounds are a recovery site, but amazing for their own reasons. You can see evidence of the engineering brilliance of an earthquake-prone country over 300 years ago. The stones were set to keep the castle buildings standing, even if shaken. Famous walls and gates collapsed, but buildings still stood. Amazing! So it's worth coming to see the 3rd of the trio (Himeji as #1, Matsumoto #2, and Kumamoto as #3) for a different reason now.

If you are coming to Kumamoto, why not stay at a hotel that has some pedigree? Even if the deal is a few more extra dollars (or yen), It's money well spent, or "value for money" as the Brits and Aussies say. Furniture that is actually wood is very familiar and reassuring, and fewer hotels have that these days!

Room tip: If you want to take in the atmosphere, castle side. If you've done Kumamoto, maybe save some dough and take the opposite side view.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Frederick G
Reviewed December 22, 2017

Super well-located, walking distance to city centre, to castle, near station. Good rooms, well-provided, a bit old fashioned structure. Great service and decent breakfast. All in all, it's money well-spent. Good deal!

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2017

If you were to get a normal room, it would be extremely tiny. Toilet is exceptionally tiny as you would have to squeeze behind the door in the toilet to close the door and use the toilet bowl.

Otherwise, opt for a corner room which is much bigger and has a decent size toilet.

Only plus point of this hotel is that there are a couple of English speaking staff with rather fluent English. Look out for the 'I can speak English tag' worn by these staff members. Breakfast was average with either a western or Japanese set or Western-Japanese set.

Location wise, it is extremely close to the Kumamoto Castle and Johsaien but the castle is under renovation due to the 2016 7.0 magnitude earthquake that caused extensive damage to the structure. This hotel is also close to the Shinmodori arcade.

Would suggest staying in Hotel Nikko which is in the middle of the shopping district and not as old as this hotel.

Room tip: Request for a corner room which is much bigger. Way bigger in fact.
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2017

Pros: nice lobby & check in process, nice interior, fast WiFi, nice bathroom, nice staffs
Cons: tiny room fit for a smurf, lousy view, lousy TV channel, poor breakfast, not so strategic location, quite hard to pick a cab

Date of stay: May 2017