“Excellent choice”

Fukuoka Hana Hostel
Reviewed December 26, 2013

First time visit to Fukuoka and second time to Japan (Tokyo), and was pleasantly surprised. Not to toot my own horn, but I've stayed in many hostels throughout the world...I think this was the best one that I can recall. The price for Japan was great at approx. $24/nt for a 3 bed dorm room. Room quality and beds/sheets were excellent. Each bed had personal light/charge station and very comfortable and cozy. I went in early November and it was a bit chilly outside so it felt great to smother myself under the warm, fluffy comforter. The room can be a little cramped, especially the bathroom (I'm quite short but I banged against the walls and everything surrounding me frequently, but hey it is Japan after all) - but it aint no thang you learn to adapt. Otherwise the bathroom is clean and functional. The whole room felt very Japan to me and I enjoyed the sense that I was somewhere foreign yet very comfortable. Besides the rooms, great amenities throughout. Rooftop access allowed you to get nice views and enjoy some sunshine in the crisp cool air whilst drying your clothes on a clothesline (if you chose to do laundry and use the washing machines). Some seating and tables for chilling and hanging out. On the main floor a very functional and modern kitchen is available for use...free coffee and tea, mugs/utensils, use of the oven range, fridge and sink. Near the entrance 2 computer stations to use internet on if you didn't want to sit at nearby tables using wifi on your tablet device or laptop. Great, friendly, and helpful staff (for non Japanese speaking such as myself English is greatly appreciated!) offering great customer service...secure luggage storage and after hours code locked exterior door. I often used the internet pc stations and they played great music to accompany your time there...and when exterior door was locked and front desk was shut down, if you're lucky, owner would play his guitar and bless you with a free performance~~excellent! The best part for me was the location of this hostel. Situated right in Canal City everything is very convenient. In a few minutes you can walk to a 24hr grocery store (Gourmet Grocery I think) if you wanted to use the kitchen facilities. Throughout the shopping arcade where hostel is located lots of shopping and food available - very convenient! 5-10 minutes Asian Art museum was nearby. Hakata station you can probably do 10-15 min walking...Canal City Mall with movie theater, restaurants, and plenty of shopping (Daiso)! I walked to pier area following the canal and it took about 20-30 minutes. Nakasu shopping area in other direction something like 10-15 minutes walking. I can't say enough how much I enjoyed and fell in love with Fukuoka...staying at Hana hostel, I couldn't help but feel this way.

Room Tip: I was able to live on under $20 a day, not all the time though, you want to hit up events or visit s...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank geezy

Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is a clean, friendly and affordable hostel in downtown Fukuoka. It's fairly easy to find following the websites directions and there are good restaurants, coffee shops and stores nearby for shopping. There is a small fairly well equipped kitchen and the staff are very helpful
and friendly. They also all speak English
It's not far from the bus station and also one can walk to the train station in about 20 min.
Cost was about $35 x 2 = $70 per night for us as a couple with a double / ensuite bathroom in November 2013. Good value and nice environment

Room Tip: Nice to have a riverview if you can arrange it, but I think those are only double, not dorms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is a great hostel in every aspect. It has a friendly atmosphere, the staff are great and speak excellent English, it’s spotless clean, it’s located about 15-minute walk from the train station.
We stayed here for 6 nights, using a double room with private WC and shower.
Everything was beautifully organised.
Kitchen facilities are incredible: utensils, pots, pans, glasses, washing up liquid etc provided for free and kept incredibly clean by the staff.
Internet, tea and coffee are also free.
You can also use the washing machine (washing powder is free) for JPY100.
Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoseGaglioni
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I had a great time here, hana hostel fukuoka, opend this March, brand new and clean.
Gooood location btwn the right center of nakasu and canal city.

When I got fukuoka from hiroshima by bus
I decided to walk to hana hostel from hakada main station, took 20 mins around.
along the way I fullfilled my huge need for RAMEN and walked by Canal city.
Entered the shopping arcade area(kawabata shopping arcade) along the city-acrossing river, Nakasu, only few steps after, I arrived this pleasant place.

Loved the view at the rooftop which I could look down over all over the river side and people walking, drinking so on, even watched their annual boating event by japanese traditional play conference(?!). Staff spoke fluent english and answered all my questions about fukuoka and further all about kyushu.
Ve'been many places around Japan while traveling since last year I came here, japan for working holiday- and cant think of any better accomation in Japan with this level of comfortablity and reasonable price. strongly osusumedesu~

Room Tip: U can chill at the rooftop where have tables, washing machine and ashtray! Please keep yourself lig...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hana hostel was a great find. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Also, the rooms were extremely clean and well maintained. It is quite close to the airport and train station. It's also a ten minute bus ride from the ferry port. I would highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I spent 2 nights in the hostel during Obon in 2013 and found it to be excellent value for money.

It's located in the Nakasu area in downtown Fukuoka, despite this the surrounding area was pretty quiet. Be careful and pay attention to the directions on arrival as the hostel has only a small entrance way in a busy shopping street so it's easily missed.

I arrived earlier than the scheduled 3pm check-in time and was allowed to check-in and provided with maps of the area and general information.

The hostel was both clean and well located and it added to the enjoyment of my stay in Fukuoka.

I've now stayed in Hana hostels in Hiroshima and Fukuoka and found them to both provide good service. I would stay in one again for sure.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is my favorite of the hostels in Fukuoka! They are in a great location right in between the two central areas of Hakata Station and Tenjin Station, and right next to Canal City, one of Fukuoka's must do things. The hostel staff is excellent and the hostel (same with their Osaka branch) is the cleanest I have stayed in. Also great comfortable beds in the dorms, and each bed has a curtain and trunk for extra privacy and security. Right now the facilities are all brand new, with excellent working air con in the rooms (which is really important in the extreme heat of Japan's summer). I usually book through hostelworld but this time I called to make the reservation, as hostel world showed no availability - but on the phone I was able to work it out. Definitely stay here if you are visiting Fukuoka!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends