“Great success”
Review of Fukuoka Bike Tour

Fukuoka Bike Tour
Reviewed December 13, 2013

The only thing wrong with this company is its communication to the outside world. Both the name and de website are confusing. Fukuchari is a bicycle rental company and they organise guided bicycle tours. I tried both.

The guided tour starts early in the morning. The reason is that the air is still clear, making biking trough the city both an enjoyable and healthy activity. The tour offers a nice balance between the traditional shrines, temples, parks and more modern aspects of the city like the skyscrapers and artificial beach. This city is a unique blend between Japan, America and The Netherlands. It has the wide open roads, palm trees, beaches and tall buildings of Miami. At the same time the people have the laid back, everything goes mentality of the Dutch as well as their fondness for bicycles. Still Japanese culture is everywhere.

The guide speaks English very well and knows all about the city. And this is what makes the guided tour interesting: you get the know the stories behind seemingly basic things. Also there are some great back alleys in the route that a normal tourist would never have found. And don't forget that stop at a traditional Japanese cake stop!

Except for one bridge the route is all flat. The guide sets a leisurely pace and the bikes are in excellent condition, so one doesn't have to be in top physical condition to be able to join.

The next day I rented a bike to have a method of transportation. In Tokyo a subway station is never more than a few minutes walking away. Public transportation in Fukuoka isn't nearly as good, so the bike gave me the freedom to explore the city some more without depending on public transportation. And since I knew the basic city layout from the guided tour, this turned out to be a great success.

4  Thank i0kan

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I used Fukuchari (which means "a bicycle in Fukuoka") in Jan to go around Fukuoka city and I rent a sports bike for 3 days.
Listening to Tanaka-san's (the owner of Fukuchari) advice, on the first day I went to Shikanosima-island through Umino-nakamichi and I enjoyed cycling along the ocean (came back by a ferry).
On the second day, Tanaka-san suggested me to go to Dazaifu and I followed his advice It was about 1.5 hour ride to Dazaifu but I found it was worthwhile. I had heard Dazaifu has a famous shrine but there were a lot more to see in Dazaifu.
On the third day I used the bike to visit many historical places in Fukuoka-city. It took almost full one day but I was very glad to do this.
The route which Tanaka-san suggested and I did was (Fukuchari - Fukuoka castle ruin - Koro-kan ruin - Ohori park - Genko-borui ruin at Seinan university - Marina outlet shopping center - Momochi beach - Fukuoka Fish market - Fukuoka domestic ferry terminal / Namiha-no-yu hot spa - Fukuchari).
Tanaka-san was so helpful and I highly recommend Fukuchari.

7  Thank Toshi K
Reviewed February 9, 2013

What I wanted to do was to wonder around the city. But neither on foot because it takes too much time nor by vehicle which gives me no power ti navigate.
This bike riding gives me quite a flexibity and pace. I could go places I wanted to go. Furthermore the city is flat so it wasnt difficult to ride.
The owner of the rental company, Tanaka, was very kind and warm. He gave an ample explanation about the places and route in his office.
The temples he recomended were calm and peaceful. Trees in the temples looked almost sacred. Starbucks in Ohoripark was pond front. It gave me fantastic sunset view. The dusk in the Nakas was solitrlary among neon signs and commuters.
I wish I could go for a longer adventure in and around the city with the bike.

1  Thank fa1220
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is the place that I rented bikes from on my ~70km tour around Kyushu (Hakita > Kurume > Akiha ~ Yufuin). The owner, Tanaka, provided more than just the bikes, he also guided us throughout our trip, getting us out of any snags we got into along the way, talking to random people over the phone for us to figure out where the hell we were, and even reserving us a hotel in Akiha at 1am (some local townspeople even ended up guiding us to the hotel on their own bikes, though I don't know if that was his doing). Knowing we were in it for the long haul, he also provided maps, extra tubing, pumps, travel advice, etc, for free. I get the feeling we were a special case, seeing as most of his customers are probably just touring Fukuoka itself, but he seemed to genuinely care for our wellbeing having every right to not care at all. He also knows some great places to eat, and probably a lot more, you just need to ask. Anyhow, highly recommended.

3  Thank Ronald R
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This is apparently the only foreigner friendly bike hire company in Kyushu. Very reasonAble prices (1000 yen a day) and they supply you with custom bike tour maps. Highly recommended if you want to explore Fukuoka.

7  Thank eugene0110