“One of the best meals I've had”
Review of Kawatarou

Kawatarou
Ranked #51 of 10,338 Restaurants in Fukuoka
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
boston
“One of the best meals I've had”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I visited this place nestled along the river in the Nakasu district of Fukuoka. It is a charmingly small place, with the main dining room dominated by a fishpond that literally harbors one's dinner. We ordered the omekase, which was a filling progression of really outstanding course after course. While my limited Japanese prevents me from recounting the specifics of each course, some of the highlights included still live squid, first raw and then tepura; kawahagi sashimi and liver; Japanese skipjack; and ultimately a final course of fugu sushi. The latter was prepared simply, with scallion and lime, expertly cut and of course without tetrodotoxin.

This was one of the best meals I've had, ranking up there with my dinners at Per Se and Alinea. Though not at all ostentatious and not bearing the creativity of those other institutions, this meal spoke to excellence of place, providing a window into the soul of Japanese food.

• Visited November 2012