“Great at night and during the day”
Review of Canal City Hakata

and up
Private Full-Day Fukuoka Custom Tour by Chartered Vehicle
Ranked #1 of 13 Concerts & Shows in Fukuoka
More attraction details
Owner description: An artificial canal flows through this huge shopping mall which includes cinemas, an amusement center, restaurants, numerous shops and an urban theater featuring musical performances and Broadway shows.
Reviewed March 8, 2013

As a resident of Hiroshima, I don't often get to shop at too many international stores or eat at places like Cold Stone. So I was super stoked to come to Canal City and find that it basically had everything and anything I could want to buy! The first time I went to a bar in the City and I was treated to a late night water show next to a giant Miffy bunny display. The entire mall was lit up and it was kind of cool to see it at nighttime.

The next day we spent the entire day walking through every building and trying to wander through as many stores as possible. This mall also has a Moomin Themed cafe, which has lots of Moomin themed snacks and drinks. There are plenty of restaurants, cafes and coffee shops to rest when your legs are tired from walking so much.

What is nice about Canal City, is that they tend to clump together similar types of stores. There's a floor for outdoors activities, and specific fashion floors so its easy to decide whether you want to explore or not.

Canal City is also, of course, home to the Ramen Stadium. I did not eat there but I did explore and check out the menu. As soon as we arrived, there were many people shouting at us to come to their store. It had a similar vibe to the yatai on the street.

1  Thank Jayumeki

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We spent quite a few hours at this shopping complex. My husband just wanted to have a coffee, check the emails and relax. My daughters and I just wanted to shop. Eldest daughter went off on her own, but my 23 andl 14 year old daughters and I stayed together. We lovedthrough the music and water displays every hour, the pet shop that had a great sale on dog clothes, the jeans shops that ere also having sales, the bubble tea and icecream, etc. etc. There were so many shops! The atmosphere was lovely with the canal through the complex. We stayed on until after dinner having a meal for my daughter's birthday at the Moomin cafe there. It was a day enjoyed by all.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Lots and lots of stores. If you want a modern shopping complex, you will love Canal City. We were disappointed by the selection of restaurants -- not as many as we expected. One tip -- if you want to eat at a buffet, the Groval on the street level was very good and much less expensive than the buffet at the Hyatt. The ambience at the Hyatt was, of course, more upscale and the individual dishes looked more elegant but there was a greater variety at Groval.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

It is large and sprawling so many people will enjoy the shopping here. We were disappointed by the ramen stadium though, given that we were in the capital of ramen, Fukuoka.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

There are so many excellent shops and restaurants in this beautiful mall. You can spend several hours without becoming bored for sure.

1  Thank Shibuyakko