“location, location, location”

Ranked #9 of 185 Hotels / Ryokan in Fukuoka
San Francisco, California
“location, location, location”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I went to Fukuoka on business and decided to stay at Grand Hyatt Fukuoka. Unfortunately, we had rain during the weekend and basically stay near the hotel. Fortunately, large shopping mall was connected to the hotel and it was very convenient way to spend my weekend shopping for my family.

I do wish there were more choice of the food at the executive lounge,but the staff was excellent both at the front desk and the lounge.

I recommend always paying extra for executive lounge access when traveling alone or with a family.

Room Tip: pay extra for executive lounge access.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This was our second time staying in the Grand Hyatt from 24 March to 29 March, next to Canal City Mall. The first time was in 2008 and we had the "large" family room with our daughter. This time, with just the two of us, we were given the Grand club room and it was pleasant enough. We came in March 2008 and witnessed the Cherry Blossoms official day then and this time round, we were fortunate to see the sakuras again!

Our experience at the Grand Hyatt service quality and standard of delivery were very much the same as was in 2008 - excellent!

The bathroom was well appointed and I for one enjoyed the well layout of the bathroom facilities.

Concierge assistance and service were most helpful in our getting around Fukuoka.

An excellent hotel with professionally trained staff.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Hyatt did not have non smoking room for our stay but advised they will use air cleaner to minimize smoke smell. Unfortunately that didn't work and allergies kicked in making it very unpleasant. Besides that, this would've been a pleasant stay. In-room WI-FI was available which was great. Limited English speaking television channels included sports channel, Discovery and CNN. Regency club for breakfast was nice but very limited offerings. Breakfast charge for Regency Club guests was 2100 yen. Hotel convenient to Canal City shopping complex with many restaurants. 550-600 yen taxi fare to Hakata station (Hakata exit). We will consider this hotel again if they can confirm non smoking room.

Stayed March 2014
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Room was neat and spacious, bathroom was comfortable and clean. What I found odd was the lack of a bed head which somehow made the room seem a bit incomplete. Pillows were by far one of the worst I've experienced so far although mattress quality wasn't too bad. The room felt stuffy all the time, yes we could manage the temperature but the air just wasn't flowing. One thing to note, when the housekeepers clean your room, they have a habit of leaving the room door unlocked by closing it against the latch as opposed to using a door stopped. What this means is that there is the chance that they'll forget to push back the latch and leave the door unlocked visible for all to see, which is what happened. Thankfully all our belongings were intact, although it is pretty scary to come back after a day out to find your room unlocked. This is my first at a Grand Hyatt so I'm not sure if its just something they dont do but there was no turndown service; something that seems to be a norm nowadays. No biggie as we had lounge access so we could help ourselves to the bottled water there (the only value I see in having turndown service anyway!) In room WiFi isnt free either, its free at both the lobby and lounge though. Breakfast was fairly decent, the usual suspects will be there. This is Japan, service will be good although one wouldnt say its warm. As for location, it is right next to canal city, pretty much next to Nakasu (yes red light district but its Japan! It's safe!) and walking distance to the main shopping belt (daimaru and all), the fish market and all the yatais (over rated, if you ask me). Wouldnt fault it for location at all.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Disappointing - probably the worst Hyatt experience I have ever had. Overall I felt more than a little underwhelmed, especially in comparison to other Hyatts and luxury hotels I`ve stayed at in Japan and the US, and for what I paid. It seemed like it lacked a few little (and not so little) things that really contribute to feeling comfortable at a place where you are paying for luxury (almost wanted to give a 2 star rating).

Its a bit of a hike from JR Hakata station, so you should cab it if you can. Its not the easiest figuring out which way it is to the nearest subway stops. Being attached to cavernous Canal City is a plus, as its shopping and restaurants galore once you spend some time figuring out where in the world everything is.

Check-in went without a hitch and the friendly front desk/concierge was very helpful in all areas. The non-smoking single room was clean and spacious, and the impressive bathroom was simply all extravagant luxury. The comfortable bed and sheets ensured a good nights sleep. However, I found the room a bit dark near the desk, and thought that there must have been a light I didn`t notice and turn on, but when I called the front desk I found out that this was not the case. Not the best design there. The light control system also took a little work to figure out, and I found it somewhat annoying, slow and cumbersome. Also, setting up the free Wifi isn`t exactly the clearest, as the less than helpful instructions are incomplete. I had to call the front desk again to set it up; the Wifi instructions need to be updated.
Also how is there not a single foreign language TV channel in a Hyatt?? I`ve stayed at numerous, less expensive hotels in significantly poorer Asian countries that had multiple non-local channels.

Bar Fizz is very overpriced, and service was quite slow. Did not feel like the bar staff was really courteous or helpful, quite odd for Japan. Also after 8pm there is a significant nonsense "cover charge" (not sure for what reason???); wish they had a sign posted out front explaining all of this before you waltz in. Its also a smoking bar, which, again due to the lack of signage out front, I did not notice until I ordered a drink and then some Chinese and Japanese businessmen started lighting up (with their young children nearby - nice one guys). I also don`t understand why young children were allowed in a bar that late at night?? Further detracted from the bar experience.
Also thought that it was unpleasant that smoking was allowed at some of the other lobby establishments, as the main lobby reeked of smoke as well after I returned to the hotel at night.

I had breakfast the last day at Aromas. Also overpriced, and the food quality was nothing exceptional (my bad for ordering a Western breakfast at a Hyatt, I guess). You`re better off going to Canal City or a nearby bakery. The poor staff looked overburdened, and they automatically assumed that I wanted the breakfast buffet when I walked in. I had to explain several times that I didn`t want the buffet, which seemed initially perplexing. Not very impressive.

Overall a disappointment, and I`m glad that I only stayed one night. Will be staying elsewhere on my next trip to Fukuoka.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed at both Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency during my recent trip to Fukuoka (HR was for transit mainly).
Between the 2 hotels:
- Overall design: GH is more modern and classy, and HR is very traditional Japanese and design is a bit dated.
- Room: GH has a very spacious bathroom (bath tub and shower), but the room (Deluxe Queen) is much smaller than HR's twin. The bed is just big enough for us (2 Asian girls).
- Service: GH definitely has better services (bellboy and doormen to help us win our luggage a at the entrance) and has more staff at the lobby and front desk.
- Location: probably a problem for GH as it is about 15-20 mins walk from Hakata Station whereas HR is only 10-15 mins. Although GH is attached to Canal City, we find much better and more choices around Hakata Station. Cab however is not expensive, takes approx 700 yen one-way from station to GH. Another option is Gion Station, which is closer to GH, but not as convenient for Shinkansen or JR.
Price: GH is about 50% more expensive than HR.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Miss_Cheung
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Typical feel of a Grand Hyatt with large welcoming lobby and spacious rooms in the Western style. The bathroom was also well laid out with both a shower and bathtub. Cool glass sink with the handle for the plug beneath the table top level.

Its location right next to Canal City Hakata meant that shopping for the shopaholics was really convenient, with a comprehensive range of shops. However the layout of the shopping complex without straight corridors meant a lot of winding in and out of the building.

Breakfast was either in the Japanese restaurant on level 5 overlooking Canal City, or at the Western-style buffet on the main lobby floor.

We has a canal view which was great, and although it faced Nakasu (the red-light district), one couldn't really see down to the street level. Previous reviewers have written about having to pass though this area. To walk to the Tenjin area, you can follow the canal on the west side of Nakasu, where the yatai stalls are at night. Using this path you will have a nice riverside walk and not have to pass through the red-light district.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family