Grand Hyatt Fukuoka
$151
$110
JAPANiCAN.com
1,095 results
All reviewsshopping mallthe club loungeramen stadiumhakata stationcity complexred light districtmain lobbysushibig bathroomthoroughly enjoyed our stayrain showerhotel is locatedjapanese hotelspleasant stayhotel is greatsmoking roomstandard room
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Just had one night here in Fukuoka - we were here for a quick weekend. First of all, if the hotel being 3 subway stops away from the airport isnt good enough, I dont know what is! We easily figured out the subway and just walked a few blocks and reached the hotel.

The hotel is located in a PRIME location - not just because of the surrounding mall, but because we didnt take a taxi or subway the entire weekend. We WALKED a LOT, but we got to see as much of Fukuoka we could in roughly 24 hours.

We used points, so was contemplating the other Hyatt that you can get for less points. Now, I havent been there so I dont know how it is, but basically, I'd choose this hotel again because of its amazing location.

Bathtub is connected to shower (genius!) and we got robes, slippers, and even a bath loofah! The room wasnt HUGE, but hey, this is Japan. It was more than comfortable for my husband and I to use for a night. The toilet has a bidet, and they even gave us toothbrushes, razors, and a hairbrush....and of course all the other amenities you normally get.

All in all, another great hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevator - otherwise you could end up walking WAAAAAY down the hallway to get to your room!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank pandasuh
Reviewed April 24, 2012

After staying here for three nights, I have to admit I was a little glad to leave. Not because of the service, location or facilities, just that the room was cramped and the bed was tiny. Granted we paid a corporate rate for the room, but it still should have been roomy enough to fit a guy and a girl comfortably! Interestingly enough, the bathroom was quite spacious.

I probably would not return, but for people who need the location and love to shop, it might surprise I guess!

+++:
Location: 10 minute walk from the heart of Fukuoka's transport system (Hakata station), inside the labyrinth of shops, restaurants and entertainment outlets called Canal City, and within walking distance to many other great eats and drinks, it undeniably has a great location. It is a good walk to the Tenjin area (15-20 minutes), where other shopping and restaurants await. Just note that the walk to Tenjin takes you through a little shabby area of the park, and past the outskirts of a red-light entertainment district.

Service: Staff was polite, but felt very clinical, probably due to the hotel being so busy. Still, I put it as a plus because I had no complaints.

Facilities: Actually had a very nice gym and swimming pool. The pool was a pleasant surprise, despite costing extra to enter, had swimming caps and goggles for use.

---:
Room: I guess the politically correct would "cosy", but I have to say its cramped. For one person it is fine, but as a double it really can't make the cut. And I am pretty sure I paid for a double. Again, I'm sure there are much nicer and more spacious rooms, I'm just talking about my experience.

Bed: Same as above, couldn't comfortably fit two people.

Wifi: Well, I am a little ambivalent, since it was free, but it was only available in the lobby. Unlike another reviewer, it worked fine the entire time we were there, but its a little odd that a business-person-oriented hotel would not have wifi available in the rooms.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jamesjen25
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on our tour round southern Japan. We opted for a Club Floor room as this was a special birthday holiday for my partner and we didn't regret the extra touches that that provided. Although the room itself is probably no different to rooms on other floors, one obviously has access to the Club Lounge which provided many additional (and highly welcome) extras.

Club Lounge provided the following: breakfast each morning; "cocktails" in the early evening which were a great way to start the evening before heading out for dinner, we would have wine or beer or champagne and were served hors d'oeuvres to accompany the alcohol. The breakfast was a full spread of cold items including fresh fruit, cereals, cakes, muffins, breads, pastries, yoghurts, tea/coffee and hot eggs/sausages could be ordered. The Club Lounge was pleasant, airy and bright with big windows looking out on the garden despite being on the 7th floor of the hotel.

Fitness Centre / Spa - The Club rate also allowed complimentary access to the fitness centre and spa. We used both while we stayed. The fitness centre has modern "Life Fitness" aerobic machines and, although the controls were in Japanese, English labels have been added. The Spa was a haven to relax in after a hard day of sightseeing and is again complimentary on the Club rate. As is common in Japan, the Spa is gender-segregated and users must not wear any form of swimsuit, ie must use the facilities nude. There is an etiquette to using public baths in Japan so if you are not familiar here are some tips: you should enter the bathing area and first thing is to wash yourself scrupulously before either using the bath or the saunas. Pay particular attention to making sure you've removed all soap from your body. When moving about the spa you can use a towel to hide your modesty if you wish but mostly people just walk around. Usually when using the saunas people will sit on a towel to capture sweat running off from your body. Often when using the hot bath people will place one of the smaller size towels in their heads or place them on any ledge or surface near the bath. Definitely don't put the towel into the water itself. Also you should learn the Japanese Kanji characters for 'Male' and 'Female' to ensure you don't enter the wrong area. The male character looks like a fly squat! If there is no writing then look for blue curtains for male and red for female. If you have any questions about spas or "onsen" just email me through TripAdvisor. We used pubic baths and Onsen frequently on our many trips to Japan so are quite experienced.

Check-in/Check-out tip: Another tip if you have opted for the Club Floor is when checking-in go straight up in the lifts to the 7th floor and check-in at the Club Lounge itself rather than waiting at the main desk. You can also check-out at the Club Lounge, nice to do this before or after having a relaxing breakfast.

Room Tip: Asking for a room on the 'Canal side' will give you nicer views across the city and of course the canal.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cyprusboy
Reviewed April 21, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Fukuoka in early February of 2012 as a weekend getaway.

It is located approximately 5 minutes from Hakata station (via taxi) and adjacent to The Canal City Shopping/Entertainment complex.

I booked a suite using one of my Diamond Suite upgrade certificates. The suite included club lounge access that served a fantastic complimentary cocktail hour (5-7pm) as well as a very nice breakfast selection. I highly recommend the club rooms as these benefits are well worth the slightly extra cost.

At night we enjoyed strolling through the "Yatai" or street stalls along the river. Great local food served hot and fresh.

The indoor pool/spa area was excellent; however, if you have children be warned that they are not allowed after 12noon. I don't quite understand the policy, but if you go any later you will be out of luck.

In general, the staff was very attentive to our needs and went out of their way to make sure that we had a pleasant stay. An extra thank you to Mr. Hosaka. We will be back!

Room Tip: Club rooms are well worth the extra price
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2012

This place just isn't worth the price point. A lot of basic things were going wrong.

1) The wifi in the lobby works sporadically. When I pointed this out to the concierge, I got a knowing and friendly nod. When I suggested unplugging and replugging the router (internet fix 101), and got a sad smile, I asked if it is usually like this, and she conformed that the wifi never really works that well. Strike one.

2) I'd seen other older reviewers mention a mouldy smell in the hallways. Yup, that's still the case, at least on the 11th floor...and room 1145 also had a pervasive smell coming from the drains when you used the shower, which in general was up to 3 star hotel standard at best. Strike two.

3) The recommendations coming out of the reception/concierge were disappointing. We were recommended to walk to a place which was closed the first night, and the other tips provided seemed to always come with a flyer promoting the place. Strike three.

I won't list that English was only brokenly spoken by a couple of people, and that the language barrier definitely hurt the interaction. At first I thought, "no big deal, it's Japan" but then I thought "this is supposed to be a Grand Hyatt!" For the price point, I would have expected much much more.

The lobby spills out into a shopping mall, stocked with great stores for Japanese people (my travel colleague went shopping for some stuff, but at 6'3" there was nothing for him), and that made it also feel a bit tacky. Certainly, it didn't have the same sort of "class" that a normal Grand Hyatt would demand, and in comparison to the the Hyatt Regency in Kyotto, it felt like a 3-star Las Vegas strip hotel...without the entertainment value.

Fair is fair, and the one positive was that the people working there were super polite and friendly...but no more than everyone else in the county has been...

I'll stay with Hyatt's again, but not this one. My stay here sort of made the whole city a bit of a let down.

Besides this, the room was clean and fine.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business