“Pleasant stay and value-for-money... just a little small.”

Hotel Active Hakata
Ranked #16 of 185 Hotels / Ryokan in Fukuoka
Singapore
“Pleasant stay and value-for-money... just a little small.”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

There was a promotion when we booked this hotel. The room which we had was very small, but well-equipped with sufficient amenities. If you want to boil water / iron clothes, just get the electric kettle and ironing board near the lift of each floor. 7 kinds of drinks are available for free (mostly coffee and 1 tea) at the same area - just bring along the cup provided inside the room. There is a separate hot bath for male and female, but no family bath is available. The staff spoke sufficient English.

The good:
The price. It's definitely value-for-money!

Location. It's less than 5min away by foot from Hakata station, very convenient, especially if you plan to make day trips or have an early flight to catch.

Free Internet. Just bring your own router and you get free wifi in the room. There was also a multi-device charger available next to the bed, so we could just plug and surf. Free wifi is also available at the breakfast area.

Room is new and clean, no complains about the cleaning services.

Shower was great - strong water pressure and consistent water temperature.

Bed was rather comfy, just a little small (queen's size), and we slept well each night.

There is a good spread of western and Japanese breakfast items, and some items are changed on a daily basis.

You can do your own laundry for free at the area behind the breakfast place, detergent and dryer included.

The not-so-good:
Making reservations. We had to guess our way through the hotel's Japanese booking website, which required a Japanese phone number that we did not have. It was quite a painful process. However, subsequently when we emailed our queries to the hotel, the replies were very prompt.

The room size. We have stayed in similar small hotel rooms before, but this was the first time we were staying for 4 nights. As we spent more time in the room, we felt that it could get pretty crowded at times.

Maybe we didn't know how to operate it properly, but the air-conditioning could get quite noisy with high wind speed, but that didn't affect our sleep. It cut off abruptly when desired temperature was achieved, leaving the room feeling quite stuffy sometimes.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lendeliz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The hotel is about 5 mins walk to the train, subway and major bus stop. Extremely convenient ! When we booked the hotel, hotel staff emailed us a map with photos and clear directions, which was excellent. We booked a double room - okay for 2 adults but barely. If you are travel with friends, better make sure you have 2 beds. What impressed us also are the small stuff - they have installed plugs for iPad/iPhone in the room, microwave and Nestle coffee machine (the kind you insert coins into to get coffee) offering free tea and coffee in the corridor plus a number of washing machines on the ground floor. Again, breakfast is great - wide variety of western and Japanese food. There is also a small onsen for men and for women - adequate only. Also, wifi on the ground floor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank meiwonghk
Hong Kong
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Their door mat says “Welcome home” and this is indeed the feeling that one would experience. Because it is a business hotel, most things are self-serviced. On each floor, you have free pots to boil your water in your room, free 24-hr coffee machine, free ironing board etc. The buffet style breakfast is superb, huge computer monitor that you can use free of charge, free laundry…. Free wi-fi at the lobby. Everything looks clean and new.
I stayed in the ACTIVE Room, which is a bit bigger than the single room. The way they design the room makes it very functional. Those who hate dim hotel lightings would be glad to know that the room is very well lit up.
Just follow the map on their website, and stroll your luggage there. Once you are more familiar with the location, you would realize that Canal City is at the back. With the Hakata JR Station being renovated 2 years ago, however, Canal City has lost its touch.
As this is a business hotel, the guests are mostly men. Hence, for 3 consecutive days, I enjoyed the public bath all by myself.
As I know Japanese, I got by without any difficulties. But my husband called me from Hong Kong. Their English is so bad that after my husband told them the room number, they wrongly connected the call to two different rooms. We must have awakened two poor souls at 11pm.
Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If the price difference is not much, choose the ACTIVE room over the Single Room for solo traveller.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank nammay
Fukuoka, Japan
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here for one night on a layover during my trip. It looks very new and has a very modern and clean look. The staff are very helpful and everything important is written in both English and Japanese. This is the first hotel that I stayed at that did not ask to photocopy my foreigner card. (Thank you for not treating me like an alien.)

There was no noise from neighboring rooms or the hallway. I got the best night of sleep on my whole trip at thus hotel.

They have a spa open until 2AM and again from 5 AM, but i didn't try it. But even if you don't want to try get get naked in front of others, there is a large bath in the room . They have all the necessary amenities in the room and even rent you a computer if you need one. They have free coffee and tea from a machine on every floor near the elevator.

Breakfast was quite good. One of the better buffet breakfasts I have had at a business hotel like the one.

It really is a modern place with nice business clients. Overall, this is my new favourite hotel near Hakata. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Steven R
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Thanks for the collective wisdom of the other reviewers of this hotel, I tried it. I was not disappointed. My room was small, but larger than the usual businessperson's single occupancy room. The simple furniture, fixtures and finishes were modern and clean. The overall look of the lobby and breakfast dining area was contemporary and stylish. The young staff's English was adequate, and they were quite responsive. The side street on which it is located is quiet all day and night. I'd recommend this establishment highly for its proximity to the amenities, dining and shopping located at the JR Hakata station.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DougC88
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Great hotel. Location a little walk from the beautifully renovated Hakata station but easy to find.

Breakfast is outstanding – rivals some 4-5* places I have stayed at.

I find that places like this must have decided not to advertise or permit bookings in English. We were the only non-Japanese that I could see at the hotel. Did not enjoy the bath as we were dead tired that day and had to catch a plane in the very early AM. Even though our domestic flight left at 8am, there was enough time to have breakfast right at 6:30 and leave to the station to catch the subway to the airport. This is the link to book and you can probably use translators to get what you need.

I booked via the Japanese rakuten site since you can not book this hotel from the English rakuten site. I guess it pays off to go through the extra effort. Double room was 9980Yen - IMO a very nice deal. The breakfest alone is worth 2500 per person based on what I have seen at places in Tokyo.

The laundry facilities are great also. I would stay here in a second. The internet in room was also free and very fast. Fast enough to stream netflix US via a VPN proxy without any stalling.

I have also attached a few photos. Small room but that is Japan for you. Very nice bath products and all the ameneties you need in room. You can ask for anything that is missing.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank K J
Vaasa, Finland
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This hotel was such a great surprise. Travelling all over Japan with my 6-year old son for weeks meant that we stayed at many different hotels. Without exaggerating: this was the best hotel we stayed at. Clean room, very accommodating, helpful and knowledgeable staff, free use of washing mashine, great breakfast. Located very close to JR Hakata station. The best thing about this hotel was the in-house onsen. Such a relief for weary and aching legs. I warmly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family