“A total and utter joy!”
Review of Zen Oyado Nishitei

Zen Oyado Nishitei
Ranked #28 of 188 Hotels / Ryokan in Fukuoka
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My friend and I spent two nights in this Ryokan at the end of September and had a delightful stay.
The service was fantastic and the setting, beautiful!

We had dinner and the experience itself was perfection. The food sublime and a wine list which would not be out of place in a top London restaurant.

The hostess herself was a real joy, going out of her way to make us feel welcome and showing us about and no request to her team was too great.

My friend and i spent over two weeks in Japan and this place is by far our favourite and we stayed in a couple of 5 star international hotels in Tokyo!!

We cannot wait to return to here!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
膳・お宿西亭, staff at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Thank you for enjoying your stay and dinner at Nishitei. Our business is small, including room and the numbers of staff. However, your comment really make us happy. We try to improve our service. I guess its getting cold in your city, take care. And we also cannot wait to see you again.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was my first stay at a ryokan and it has been a great experience. The hostess speaks English which makes it all a lot easier. I recommend to have diner here as well. The private dinerroom and the amazing chef will make this an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed: September 2013
膳・お宿西亭, staff at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and writing here. Yet, our English is not that good to help you enough, we are all really happy to hear that you liked it. Thank you again and hope to see you again, someday.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I HAVE to write a review about this ryokan because we absolutely LOVED it. It was such a fantastic place to wrap up our Japan trip this year.

Just like many other previous reviews, the service is excellent! Seiko-san and Miho-san were really sincere, genuine and friendly. There are only 4 rooms here, so at any one time, there are only 4 groups of guests staying. This really allows the owners to focus their attention on the guests's needs. Just a few examples were: I was pregnant and the pyjamas were too tight, so they changed a larger set for me the next night. The service staff also cleans up the bathroom after a guest uses it, ensuring cleanliness and hygiene. Needless to say, this place is VERY clean.

We loved the decor - mainly wooden beams with glass panels. The glass panels allowed the place to look more spacious than it is, and it allows overlooking of little zen-like gardens in the house. We also loved the rooms! We stayed in Mitsuhikisou (I think it was the largest) and Aogiri. The size of Aogiri was just nice for us. We didn't mind the size of Aogiri as our bags and stuff could be stowed away in a little space in between the main door and 2nd door.

The futons are ABSOLUTELY comfortable! The cotton was of high quality, and there were 2 layers of futon. This ensured that it was not hard, and we had a really good sleep in our 2 nights there, as compared to other futons we slept on in other places.

Meals were also really good. We couldn't stop raving about the French dinner. It is definitely worth the price. In fact, the price is very very reasonable for the dinner. Breakfast, prepared by Seiko-san, was also very delicious! We had 2nd helpings as we really enjoyed it!

If you don't mind spending a little more money on a place, don't hesitate to splurge it here. You will definitely not regret it!!! This is one of my favourite places to stay in out of all my years of travel so far. I will definitely go back to this ryokan if I do go back to Fukuoka.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank mikayap
膳・お宿西亭, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thank you very much for your good comment.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Nishitei.
For us, your stay was memorable.
And...
Congratulations on birth !
It prays for healthy growth.
Please spend wonderful every day with a new family.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our friends wanted to stay in a Ryokan the last night of our three week trip to Japan. The idea of sleeping on the floor on straw mats and having to share common bathrooms was a real turn off, but boy was I wrong.

This was an amazing place to stay. Seiko-san and Merry-dog made our visit wonderful.

Sleeping on the floor was not a problem and was very comfortable. The rooms were wonderful. The common toilet rooms were not an issue at all. The Hot bath was great.

The best part of our stay was the food. We had a French/Japanese diner which was outstanding, the best meal in Japan. For breakfast we had their large Japanese breakfast which was also amazing.

You must stay here if you visit Fukuoka

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BostonSkier
膳・お宿西亭, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you very much for your good comment.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and meals.
Please take care and we hope to see you again.
Autumn is comfortable season in Fukuoka !

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Aloha ~ This was my second stay at Zen Oyado with Ms. Seiko, Ms. Miho, and the wonderful staff. You will never find people as kind, beautiful, caring, thoughtful, and helpful! The Ryokan is warm, charming and beautiful! I'm already planning my return!

• Stayed: March 2013

We appreciate for your comment and always staying with us.
How’s everything going with you ?
We are always glad to welcoming you here.
If you come to Japan again, we will be happy to have you here.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

First time at a ryokan and loved it. I booked based on the ranking and the positive reviews from Tripadvisor and I believe the reviews were very helpful. The owner, Seiko-san and her staff, Miho-san, were so nice and friendly. Even though the bathroom/shower is shared, they were extremely clean (shower is cleaned every time a guest finishes using it). All amenities were provided and the place is very well located (around 20 minute walk to Hakata station). I would definitely recommend this ryokan to those thinking of visiting Fukuoka!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank weiwei0404
膳・お宿西亭, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you very much for your recommending our ryokan.
For us, “clean” is the best compliment because our ryokan is old ...

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I concur with the other positive reviews. This is Japanese hospitality of exceptional standards. The owner and Miss Yamaura san (staff) displayed outstanding skill and generosity to help me. They made my stay very very comfortable, were constantly trying to anticipate my needs.
I know this next comment will sound over the board, but it is true: they spent hours (cumulatively) or their private time helping me around. For example, Yamaura san accompanied me for a private visit of a sake and choshu maker of the area. This had been prearranged a few months ago, after I made the reservation. This is not something they do on a regular basis, and should not be taken for granted as a service they normally provide (it was the first time they had that request). But Yamaura san took this as an interesting challenge, and it led to an unforgettable visit. I would really feel bad if my mention of this here led to pressing requests made to that ryokan, for that visit to be repeated, if it doesn’t suit them or the sake maker ( Mori no Kura). I am mentioning this to illustrate the level of service they achieve. It is to the point that, if a guest was abusive, I believe the poor staff would just grin and bear it, as something that must be suffered in order to maintain the honour of the House.
So please, future guests, be very delicate with them, because they really push the limits to make you happy.
I stayed in the room called Mizuhikisou. Was perfect. Large by any standards. Artfully decorated, wood carved furniture, tatami mats, ikebana, view on small Japanese garden, flat screen TV in room, free wifi internet.
12000 yen per night, if I remember well. In Tokyo, this, I believe, would be worth at least 1 000 $ a night.
Gorgeous breakfast, Japanese.
Upon request, one can pre-order dinner. Also very good and reasonably priced (4500 yen, multiservice).
It took me 2 days to be comfortable about finding my way about public transports in the area, because I do not read Japanese language. But, finally, it is handy and efficient. This is not downtown, but only one train station away from downtown. Bus service also is excellent.
Cannot recommend highly enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank 88puffin
膳・お宿西亭, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you very much for your comment.
I remember that I melted at your kind words during your stay.
For us, it was memorable time.