“What a treat!!!”
Review of Zen Oyado Nishitei

Zen Oyado Nishitei
Ranked #32 of 193 Hotels / Ryokan in Fukuoka
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our friends wanted to stay in a Ryokan the last night of our three week trip to Japan. The idea of sleeping on the floor on straw mats and having to share common bathrooms was a real turn off, but boy was I wrong.

This was an amazing place to stay. Seiko-san and Merry-dog made our visit wonderful.

Sleeping on the floor was not a problem and was very comfortable. The rooms were wonderful. The common toilet rooms were not an issue at all. The Hot bath was great.

The best part of our stay was the food. We had a French/Japanese diner which was outstanding, the best meal in Japan. For breakfast we had their large Japanese breakfast which was also amazing.

You must stay here if you visit Fukuoka

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BostonSkier
膳・お宿西亭, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you very much for your good comment.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and meals.
Please take care and we hope to see you again.
Autumn is comfortable season in Fukuoka !

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Aloha ~ This was my second stay at Zen Oyado with Ms. Seiko, Ms. Miho, and the wonderful staff. You will never find people as kind, beautiful, caring, thoughtful, and helpful! The Ryokan is warm, charming and beautiful! I'm already planning my return!

• Stayed: March 2013

We appreciate for your comment and always staying with us.
How’s everything going with you ?
We are always glad to welcoming you here.
If you come to Japan again, we will be happy to have you here.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

First time at a ryokan and loved it. I booked based on the ranking and the positive reviews from Tripadvisor and I believe the reviews were very helpful. The owner, Seiko-san and her staff, Miho-san, were so nice and friendly. Even though the bathroom/shower is shared, they were extremely clean (shower is cleaned every time a guest finishes using it). All amenities were provided and the place is very well located (around 20 minute walk to Hakata station). I would definitely recommend this ryokan to those thinking of visiting Fukuoka!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank weiwei0404
膳・お宿西亭, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you very much for your recommending our ryokan.
For us, “clean” is the best compliment because our ryokan is old ...

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I concur with the other positive reviews. This is Japanese hospitality of exceptional standards. The owner and Miss Yamaura san (staff) displayed outstanding skill and generosity to help me. They made my stay very very comfortable, were constantly trying to anticipate my needs.
I know this next comment will sound over the board, but it is true: they spent hours (cumulatively) or their private time helping me around. For example, Yamaura san accompanied me for a private visit of a sake and choshu maker of the area. This had been prearranged a few months ago, after I made the reservation. This is not something they do on a regular basis, and should not be taken for granted as a service they normally provide (it was the first time they had that request). But Yamaura san took this as an interesting challenge, and it led to an unforgettable visit. I would really feel bad if my mention of this here led to pressing requests made to that ryokan, for that visit to be repeated, if it doesn’t suit them or the sake maker ( Mori no Kura). I am mentioning this to illustrate the level of service they achieve. It is to the point that, if a guest was abusive, I believe the poor staff would just grin and bear it, as something that must be suffered in order to maintain the honour of the House.
So please, future guests, be very delicate with them, because they really push the limits to make you happy.
I stayed in the room called Mizuhikisou. Was perfect. Large by any standards. Artfully decorated, wood carved furniture, tatami mats, ikebana, view on small Japanese garden, flat screen TV in room, free wifi internet.
12000 yen per night, if I remember well. In Tokyo, this, I believe, would be worth at least 1 000 $ a night.
Gorgeous breakfast, Japanese.
Upon request, one can pre-order dinner. Also very good and reasonably priced (4500 yen, multiservice).
It took me 2 days to be comfortable about finding my way about public transports in the area, because I do not read Japanese language. But, finally, it is handy and efficient. This is not downtown, but only one train station away from downtown. Bus service also is excellent.
Cannot recommend highly enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank 88puffin
膳・お宿西亭, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you very much for your comment.
I remember that I melted at your kind words during your stay.
For us, it was memorable time.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We just got back to the US from our trip to Japan (my husband and I were there on vacation). Our two night stay at this ryokan was one of the highlights of this trip. The staff are exceptionally warm and genuinely welcoming, even for a country where helpful/polite service is the norm. The two people who were working there during our stay spoke good English, and treated us like we were guests in their own home. The bath/shower area is reserved and cleaned prior to each guest that uses it, which means you will not have to bathe nude with other people and can bathe with a spouse (public baths are separated by gender so this is not possible in those facilities). The rooms, gardens, and public areas are clean and beautifully decorated. The futon bed had a pad under it, so it did not feel as hard as some others I have slept on. Since it was cold, an extra blanket was placed under the down comforter! I would definitely recommend the Japanese set breakfast during the stay, which is 1500 yen (or 1000 yen for the light breakfast, which is what we chose). Our hostess prepared a beautiful meal for us in a tatami room facing the garden. In the dining room, there is a space under the floor for your feet, and the floor is heated! Each evening we were offered a midnight snack of either fresh fruit or rice, which was brought to our room while we were showering and our beds were being made. If we go back to Japan in the future, we would definitely go out of our way to stay here again. On a practical note, reservations were made via email and we stayed in the smallest tatami room as a couple. The bed took up virtually all the floor space when it was made for the evening, but was stored away during the day. We still had plenty of space for the table and luggage. This wasn't an issue for us, but I mention it because some people reading this might prefer to have more space (we were advised of this in an email before we reserved the room). Wifi is free, and there is a mini refrigerator in the room with complimentary bottled water. The ryokan is a bit over a mile away from the Hakata JR station. We walked there with our luggage (a carry-on sized suitcase and a backpack for each person), but most people would probably prefer to take a taxi for about 1000 yen each way.

Room Tip: When they ask which type of snack you want, pick the fruit! Japanese fruit is exceptionally good.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sarahviolin

We appreciate your detailed explanation.
We are happy to know your impressions and good points of our ryokan, so we want to use the things that we learned from your comment.
If you come to Japan, we will be happy to have you here.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

This ryokan deserves it's five star rating -- we truly had a wonderful experience, and agree with all comments from other reviews. A few other points here - a) if you can, have the full breakfast prepared by Ms. Seiko - excellent value; b) stairs are steep - caution for small children and less mobile; c) excellent izakaya on next street -- ask Ms. Miho for recommendation.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travel715
膳・お宿西亭, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you very much for your comment. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed meals.
There are good restaurants, bakery and cafe in the neighborhood.
So please ask our recommendation when the next time you come to Fukuoka.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and found the quality and hospitality of this Ryokan (Japanese style hotel) was fantastic.
We will some back here soon!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom3399
膳・お宿西亭, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Zen Oyado Nishitei, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

We appreciate for your comment and always staying with us.
We are always glad to welcoming you here.