“Convenient and Hot Bath in the Hotel”

Dormy Inn Hakata Gion
Ranked #7 of 193 Hotels / Ryokan in Fukuoka
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I chose this hotel because of the good Trip Advisor rating which I agree. It is conveniently located. The staff speaks limited English and was helpful. I travelled with my family and we loved the hot baths within the hotel. We arrived at the hotel in late evening and had time to enjoy a bowl of free plain noodle at the restaurant. They serve typical Japanese style breakfast with limited western food. The rooms are small by western standard but are comfortable. The hotel price is reasonable.

4  Thank Easytravel88

Reviewed August 21, 2012

This 8 story hotel is located within 5 walking minutes from the Hakata train station. The staff speaks English and there is a convenience store in the lobby. The hotel has a onsen hot water bath on the second floor offered free of charge to guests. Rooms are small according to US standards, but it is clean and comfortable. The hotel plays piped in Classical music in the lobby which I found comforting but odd since you're in Japan and expect Japanese music.

2  Thank Valerie M
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Three of us spent four days here in early August. The hotel justifies it's Tripadvisor 2012 award and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location is about 150 yards from Gion subway station and we didn't have any trouble finding it. From the international ferry terminal, where we arrived (from Korea), the number 88 bus stops near Gion station and costs Y180; the only problem being that there is no international ATM at the ferry terminal, so you have to walk out to the nearest Seven Eleven to get cash, unless you already have Yen on arrival. We found the hotel location to be very good, between the main centres of Hakata and Tenjin (walkable to either, but not with heavy bags), near the river and to some lively nightlife areas.
Rooms are not large but are well designed and equiped, with tastefully minimalist decor, and the beds are comfortable. Large screen TV, small fridge, ioniser and hairdryer all provided.
I didn't initially book breakfast, as Y1200 seemed expensive; having dicovered that it costs Y500 for a coffee and at least another Y500 for a cake or a juice in Fukuoka, I decided to try the breakfast on day two and, once tried, it was obvious that this was the best option. A huge range of interesting Japanese and western style foods is available, the coffee is very good and you can eat as much or as little as you want, which set us up nicely for the day. In the evenings, between 9.30 and 11pm, the restaurant serves free ramen noodles - very useful if you didn't quite manage to get the food order right at dinner time, or if you choose to sample some of the snacks available from mobile vans (an interesting Fukuoka institution) and need to fill up before bedtime.
The 'natural hot spring baths' on the hotels second floor are an excellent free facility for guests and much more fun than the admittedly small shower cubicles in the rooms. In early August Kyushu daytime temperatures were around 35C, so it was a treat to be able to cool down, clean off and relax each evening in the baths. Two hot pools plus a cold plunge pool and a sauna, along with numerous showers, supplied with good quality gel, shampoo, conditioner, hair tonics etc and a changing room with fans, mirrors and hairdryers.
Finally, the staff in the restaurant, baths and reception were unfailingly polite and helpful. I would not hesitate to return here if I am in Fukuoka again.

1  Thank Downhill-Dave
Reviewed August 6, 2012

“Dormy Inn” in Gion, Fukuoka. There was a sign on the lobby counter that said “Best of Trip Advisor 2012”. I agree- it was a nice place. My room was a “single”, so it was small. If you are unfamiliar with Japanese hotels, particularly “business hotels”, you will think the room is “tiny”. However, it was modern and felt comfortable. There are no bathtubs in the rooms, only showers. (except for the handicapped room). This is because there is a big bath on the 2nd floor.

The bath was wonderful! The women’s bath has a locked door with a security code. I was given the code at check-in. The bath was open from about 4 pm until 10 the next morning. Soap and shampoo is provided as is usual, but you should bring your towel and washcloth from the room. (There is also some sort of bath wear/night wear provided in the room, but it did not fit my big American body.) There is a big hot water bath, a cold water bath and a sauna. Then, there is what looked to be an “outside” bath, in another room, but it was just enclosed. That one was slightly deeper and the water was just a little hotter. For some reason, there was a TV in there, which was broadcasting the news. I did not notice if there was a remote to change the channel or turn it off. Towards the entrance of the bath area, there is also a washing machine and dryer. It looked like there was no charge for the washer (I could be wrong….), but there is for the dryer.

There is breakfast, but it cost ¥1200 (¥600 for children), so I did not get it. I looked at the breakfast, and it seemed like it would be filling and tasty.

There are 4 types of rooms: single, double, Japanese,and handicapped. The handicapped, or “universal access”, had a tub in it. I asked the housekeeper, and she showed me the double and handicapped rooms. The double has 2 beds, about 120 cm each (whereas the single bed size is 140). There is a couch which can be pulled out for additional beds. The Japanese has 2 beds also, but half of the room is tatami. Two futons can be laid down, so that a total of four people can stay in the room. It is small- not like Western hotel rooms at all-but adequate. The handicapped room seemed to have a larger area around the sink.

I noticed signs advertising weekly and monthly stays. Also, outside the entrance to the hotel, there was a sign advertising “short stays” and “day stays”. I did not get the details, but apparently there are several options for length of stay- from a few hours to a month!

The parking lot in the hotel was full. I was directed to a nearby independent parking lot and was charged the same price: ¥1800 for the night (from about 3 pm – 12 noon the next day). The parking lot had a special from 3 pm- 10 am the next day for ¥1500. Check out time at the hotel is 11, so I paid the 1800 so that I would not have to leave early.

There was free coffee in the lobby, and a Family Mart convenience store attached. It is a short walk to the Gion subway station.

You can easily find restaurants and shops in the area. It is located somewhat between Hakata Station and the Tenjin area. Perhaps a fifteen minute or so walk to either, but there are buses and the aforementioned subway station nearby too. The hotel is not exactly easy to find if you are unfamiliar with the area. If you are coming through Hakata Station, you could ask at the information booth (English is OK) for a map and details on how to get to the hotel.

The only “complaint” I have is about the elevator. The lobby is on the first (ground) floor. The 2nd floor is the bath and the restaurant and massage area. The rooms are from the 3rd floor up. There are two elevators. Because the bath and restaurant are on the 2nd floor, it seemed as if the elevator always stopped there. The wait for the elevator takes time, and as it inevitably stops on the 2nd floor, it seems a little slow.

Other than that, my stay was quite pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Zipzoe
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Location wise, it was not obvious at first. The walk from JR Hakata to Gion subway station was a straight forward pleasant walk of 15 minutes. After the Gion station, we got lost. Passerby tried to help but couldn't tell us where Dormy was. There were only about 100+ hotels in the area! By chance we looked to our left on some street beyond Gion station and saw the small sign. Then it became easier. The lobby is not very impressive or welcoming, but that was little concern. The room was comfortable and that was what mattered.

We booked the rooms because it is #1 recommended on tripadvisor and other travel sites. We booked a twin room for the 3 of us. The room was quite comfortable, and clean. I liked the fact that the hotel has onsen in the hotel as after a long flight, it was good to relax.

The breakfast was really good but did not have fruits. The Familymart downstairs sells them but one banana cost 107yen, very expensive.

There was no WIFI in the room but barely got it in the lobby.

The price for the room kept changing. At first I booked 3 months in advance with a higher price and had to pay surcharge for extra person (our child). A month before our trip I checked again and found there was a family plan for Tuesday only. So I booked it and booked Wednesday in another hotel. A week before, they offered another Family plan but cost 200 yen more. Still, the price was better than 3 months ago. So I changed again to add Wednesday to the list. Over all, it was a good price. If it wasn't a Family plan, it wouldn't be worth it. I'd stay at Toyoko Inn which turned out to be a pleasant surprise during our Kyushu trip.

Besides a very delicious breakfast, Dormy also offers late night ramen snack at 9:30pm for free. It was nothing special but it was a nice service.

The staff were all very friendly, nice and polite. Love them.

Room Tip: Keep checking prices on their website and also on rakuten. I got the best price from Dormy's web...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bjTravelAdvisor
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My title sums it up. The hotel is one of the best if not THE best value hotel I have ever stayed at. The rooms are modern, you can adjust the room temperature which is not always the case with hotels in Japan. The hotel is connected to a convience store on the first floor. Came with free dinner after 9pm. It was a simple bowl of plain ramen but it was free. The location is excellent as it is adjacent to the Gion subway which is only 3 stops from the airport. A few minute walk to hakata canal city. Tons of nearby restraints. Walking distance to the main hakata station.

Had an onsen on the second floor and had free Internet. I stay at many hotels, so I don't give 5 stars very easily. This was a 5 star.

Stayed: April 2012
6  Thank worldtravelers_ja
Reviewed March 31, 2012

I picked this hotel on the basis of the tripadvisor reviews. Since I booked, it's risen even further up the rankings. I am quite surprised by the other rankings, although I haven't stayed in many hotels in Japan so maybe I am comparing it to the wrong things. Anyway, the good:
- conveniently located, near an underground station on the airport line, also close to the station
- there is a 24-hour convenience store right off the lobby, useful for stocking up on water etc
- very nice spa, large shared bath and small 'outside' room (NB this is not actually open to the sky - would be difficult in the middle of a city - but does mean that you can get the cold outside air through the bamboo-fence style walls)

However, the room was tiny - the bed was quite small for a double and there was hardly any room around it. The layout is quite clever to fit in a sink, shower, toilet etc., but it wasn't a room you would want to spend any time in apart from getting up and going to bed. It was also pretty impersonal.

As I say though, this might be standard for budget business hotels in Japan or Nagasaki - I just don't know.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple