“worth the journey to get to this mountain temple. Unesco registered. Loved it, even though usually not a temple-goer.”

Hieizan Enryaku-ji Temple
Ranked #1 of 312 things to do in Otsu
Sudbury, Canada
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Well deserved Unesco registration. Very special, profound atmosphere. Not many tourists, more really devout boudhists visiting, even from other islands of Japan ( my Japanese guide overheard people from Kyushu and Hokkaido were touring while we were there). Boudhist monk gave gentle speech to one of the traveling groups. He was inspiring to watch and listen too, even if I don’t understand enough Japanese to follow the talk. Just the incarnation of goodness. These things are unexplainable unless people are there to see and feel them. And I am not a religious person.
An hour and a half spent in transportation, one way. Decided to do it because I was in Kyoto for 5 days, so, felt like doing something off the beaten path. Had a big surprise: this happens to be the best temple\shrine I have seen. After this, did not feel the need to see other religious interiors: I was satisfied. This is not showy, kitsh. This is deep, profound, spiritual inspiring place. Could not find pictures, because too sacred for pictures to be authorized. I understand, even though I am not religious myself. Even putting religion aside, the place forces respect.
Opinions certainly vary, but, personally, if I visited only two religious interiors in Kyoto, this would be one of the two.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank 88puffin

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
leeds
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderful, more peaceful than Kyoto”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

If you are staying in Otsu, this place is really worth taking the time to explore. It was much less crowded than Kyoto, and we enjoyed the Sakamoto cable car to get to the site. Make sure you bring enough cash, as most restaurants didn't accept credit cards. The ramen and tofu restaurants in the area are supposed to be very good.

Visited November 2011