All reviews onsen hotel welcome drink food was amazing tour group onsen station western style kaiseki meal omi beef japanese sweets gift shop train station japanese experience wonderful onsen tatami mats private onsen pleasant stay breakfast and dinner
Reviewed August 12, 2018

Our visit to Biwako Hanakaido in the end of July was the highlight of our 3 week trip to Japan. We had traditional japanese rooms with great views, they were nice and big compared to other rooms in Japan.
Biwako Hanakaido gave us Yucatas to wear during our stay, these were really nice and it was fun trying out traditional Japanese clothing.

The Onsens were nice and big - we sadly can't compare with other Onsens as we didn't visit other, however we were very satisfied with them.

For dinner we had the most amazing hostess/waitress, fluent in english, very knowledgeable of the food and area in general. She came with great ideas to things to see in the area. She was super helpful and the most amazing and kind hostess we've ever experienced.

The rest of the employees were also super kind and helpful - they were always ready with a helping hand and they even drove us to and from the train station and local attractions.

I can't recommend this experience enough - this is really something you have to do while in Japan.

I hope to get back someday soon, as this was my most treasured memory of our Japan trip.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2018

First time to a Japanese ryokan, they have a convenient shuttle to pick us up at the train station as we were coming from Osaka on the train. Food was awesome, especially the Ohmi beef. We really enjoyed the Japanese breakfast service as well. Japanese bath house was really cool, but would've been better if we came during colder season as we couldn't stay in the bathhouse too long because the weather was so hot in Japan when we visited in late June 2018. Room was clean and very spacious. My wife was able to enjoy the outdoor bath in our room in the morning. Very relaxing experience. We had a great view of the lake from our room as well. Staff was super friendly and had no problems communicating in English.

Reviewed July 27, 2018

My husband and I just stayed at Biwako Hanakaido for the first part of our honeymoon and I don't think we could have asked for better. We actually missed our first night due to some poor planning on our part with the bullet train schedule. The staff were ver accomodating with us. We arrived at Ogotoonsen Station and used the public phone to call the inn and the shuttle arrived 10 minutes later to take us to the property. The hospitality was the most professional and welcoming with bowing as the shuttle arrived, loading our luggage for us, offering a cup of tea and just talking to us as they prepped our room and yukatas. Our room was beautiful with the tatami mats and view of the lake. While we were at dinner they rarranged our rooms to put out the futons for sleeping. I enjoyed having the yukata to wear around the property. We headed straight to the private onsen to unwind from the hectic traveling (we had to sleep the previous night on the airport benches). We even enjoyed going through the gift shop and got several souvenirs.

The food was served in the inn's resteraunt. I am a picky eater so there were definitely many new flavors to try. I enjoyed the Shabu Shabu (where you cook your own food in the heated broth).

My husband appreciated being permitted to play the piano in the main lobby and even drew a small audience from the hospitality staff :)

Our appreciation goes out to Ms. Chihiro Ikeda and the Biwako Hanakaido staff. our stay was without a doubt, a highlight of our honeymoon.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
notch252525, 宿泊部フロント課 at Biwako Hanakaido, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2018

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment.
We are extremely happy to know that you enjoyed to stay with us.

Also, we feel honored you chose us for your honeymoon.
It was so pleasant to listen to your husband played piano at the lobby together.

We will always remember about you as our delightful memory.

Reviewed June 28, 2018 via mobile

Amazing Experience! True Japanese hospitality at its finest! Naito Sakae was gracious and extremely friendly to my American family.

Once arriving at Ogotoonsen, we contacted the property and a shuttle arrived within 10 min for a 10 min ride back to the property. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a Japanese and English speaking hotel representative.We were then provided a welcome drink and Japanese sweets. Our reservation was reviewed and our dinner and breakfast time was set. We were then brought to our room where our bags had already been delivered.

Dinner was a remarkable Japanese experience that our family will never forget! The food was amazing and the presentation was exquisite! Kudos to the chef!

After dinner a soak was much needed after several days and many of miles walking! The baths were top notch and a phenomenal experience! Our family booked a private bath the next morning so my wife (has tattoos) and my children (ages 5 and 7) could experience a true Japanese Onsen!

The room was beyond spacious and my children loved sleeping Japanese style on the futons and Tatami floors (made up while at dinner).

Breakfast was great and my children loved the western style prepared offering. The Japanese breakfast was amazing as well!

Truly a remarkable Japanese experience that my family will never forget!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
notch252525, 宿泊部フロント課 at Biwako Hanakaido, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2018

Thank you for your stay of 27th June.
So we are glad to read your message which you had a great impression at our Ryokan.
Whenever service is praised, it is our honor and encouragement.

We do remember you because you were very warm and polite family.
We hope to see you again someday.

Reviewed April 16, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I had an unbelievable experience at Biwako Hanakaido. The staff were incredibly friendly and extremely accommodating for English speakers. The food was amazing, nine courses of dish after dish of incredible traditional Japanese food for dinner and an amazing breakfast in the morning.

Getting to experience real Japanese cooking (not just the globally known ramen and yakitori dishes you can find in the US) at such a high quality is an enriching experience I will never forget.

We sprang for a room with a private outdoor bath and it was worth every penny. As much as the hot spring onsen was amazing, feeling the cold morning air in a private tub overlooking Lake Biwa was beyond incredible.

Coming here after three days in Shinjuku was the perfect way to slow down and relax before heading back out into the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities again.

If we can ever make it back out to Japan I would rebook here with no hesitation.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel S
notch252525, フロント課 at Biwako Hanakaido, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2018

Above all,
Thank you for taking your time to visit this Ryokan and to meet with us on April/2018.
And it's an honor for us to see your evaluation.
We are so pleased to hear from you.

We would like to express our gratitude.
Your impression is certainly our worthwhileness of working.

We are looking forward to see you again.
Please take good care of yourself.