Okumura Commemorative Museum
Review Highlights
Nice resting place rather than a museum

Reviewed January 19, 2019
ECWorld
Hong Kong, China
Relax with a free drink

Reviewed December 21, 2018
SurfingWild
Bandung, Indonesia

All reviews construction company earthquake simulator nara park technology corporation rumble information visitors japan
Selected filters
Reviewed January 19, 2019

While there is a nice rumble seat to allow the user to feel different types of earthquakes in this 'museum', this is really more of a resting place to get a free drink of water. You can also go upstairs to the rooftop where you can view the surrounding area and have a quick bite (no eating inside the building itself). The staff is very friendly, and it is worth hopping in for a quick rest as it is conveniently located close to a number of major sights in the Nara Park area.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed December 21, 2018

I actually popped in here because I wanted to plan my visit in Nara and the sign outside said that visitors are welcome to come inside and relax for free. So once inside, a wonderful lady came over and assisted me with my inquiries which were mostly about the transport in Nara, visiting a couple of temples and looking for a restaurant. At the same time she offered me a drink, cold of hot coffee or tea or water, I opted for a cold oolong tea. The lady was a Volunteer Guide and spoke very good English.

Once I had sorted out my schedule I strolled around this small museum which was really charming with lots of information about earthquakes and earthquakes in the past as well as modern earthquake prevention information.

The main display seemed to be a chair that you could be strapped in and an operator switch it on and it jerked around as if you were in a real earthquake. I gave it a miss, but did really enjoy this little museum.

I just wish to thank the lady who assisted me as she was really so helpful.

Date of experience: December 2018
Reviewed April 26, 2018

A welcome respite from all the tour buses and hustle nearby. Okumara offers a place (at no charge) to sit inside out of the weather, get a drink, and provides clean toilets to use. It also offers you the chance to explore their earthquake resistance technology. You get strapped into a chair and they expose you to the impacts of recent famous earthquakes in Japan, for real and simulated as to how their technology would have reduced the impact to your building. Instructive and fun.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed July 13, 2017 via mobile

Throughout my journey in Japan, I was awestruck by the functionality, simplicity and beauty of Japanese building design. However, it only dawned on me when I stopped at this museum,on my way back from Todaji in Nara that there is a lot more to Japanese infrastructure than meets the eye. As most people know, Japan sits on some major seismic faults and as a result there have been some catastrophic events. The Okumura company have set up this wonderful oasis of calm to demonstrate how, they have been charged with engineering ways of overcoming the affects of earthquakes and tremors and it's totally amazing.This company is science at its best and for the good of mankind. The exhibition is easily understood, there are interactive areas, the guides all speak English, are very welcoming and it's free.
This place proves again that the people of Japan are resilient, ingenious and an extremely pragmatic people.
You give them oranges and they make orange juice!.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed April 13, 2017

This is a free resting house in between Nara station and Todaiji. Built by the Okumura company which specialises in earthquake proof foundations, you get to experience their products in a simulator and read up a little bit on the science behind the work they do. Warm tea, chairs and toilets also made it a welcome rest for my 60 year old mother. Thanks for providing the community with this Okumura!

Date of experience: March 2017