“One of a kind Ryokan”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nara
Guesthouse Sakuraya
Ranked #1 of 39 Specialty lodging in Nara
Reviewed January 9, 2013

One of the nicest most genuinely welcoming places I've ever stayed.

The owner went to great lenths to make our stay as comfortable as possible, including drying our shoes after a storm! She also went beyond the call of duty to help us find a power adaptor left at a previous Ryokan. She whips up beautiful japanese-style breakfasts and can cater for vegetarians at short notice. The rooms are lovely, we stayed in a garden facing, downstairs room.

all in all I wish we could have stayed longer that our one night in Nara. Highly recommended!

Note that the place is quiet and traditional (but recently rennovated, clean and beutiful) and isn't really suitable for large groups or revellers.

Room Tip: If you're a couple looking for a beautiful, relaxing night in Nara ask for the garden room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BenJamUK

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed two nights at Kaijoko's Guesthouse Sakuraya recently in November. Our experience was beyond expectations because of the wonderful and delightful Kaijoko. To stay in a guesthouse with the whole tatami mat and futon experience is certainly a treat. But, to have the warmth and kind attentions of such a host made our stay so much more enjoyable, informed, and human. It didn't hurt that her cooking was superb! Kaijoko's restaurant recommendations allowed us to sample a wide variety of Nara cooking. All were delicious and in different types of environments. Thank you, Kaijoko, for helping make our brief stay in Nara so memorable. Tom and Regan

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Regan H
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at the Guesthouse for 3 nights in late October. The proprietor, Kayako Kuwahara, has converted a building in the historic part of town into this beautiful guesthouse. With only 3 rooms, it is like a private residence.It is like a traditional Japanese home, very spartan in furnishings, but with everything I needed, including a hair dryer. Kayako is an excellent host, making you feel welcome. Her breakfasts were delicious. She has traveled internationally including a stint living overseas and so can relate to travelers. When asked, she had good recommendations for dinner. They were good and reasonably priced. It is like staying at a fancy ryokan, minus the high price.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Japanoncemore
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Guesthouse Sakuraya

The striking feature here is that there are only 3 rooms, so for most part of your stay, it is like a private guesthouse. Considering this, the ratio of showers/wash closets to rooms is good. There are 2 rooms on the 1st floor and 1 on the 2nd. There's a comfortable living room area with a low rise table which seats 4.

The service which you get here is very good. I reached at 1030 at night and around 11, the owner was willing to sit and plan my day in Nara the next day. And this was not just explaining via maps, but deciding the best alternative considering the time I had in Nara.
The owner makes the breakfast fresh (Japanese style) and is flexible on the timing given your schedule.
She also provides good advice on what to buy and tips on where to eat.

Directions from the JR Nara station  to Guesthouse Sakuraya
As you come out of JR Nara station, take the escalator to the street level. You come to a square with a max value store just at the side of you. The road you need to get onto is Sanjo Dori or Central street. Walk diagonally to your left in the square and you reach the traffic light which is the start of Sanjo Dori. To reassure on this point, look to your left and you will see a KFC. Cross the road and walk on Sanjo Dori. 5-7 min should get you to a traffic signal. To reassure on this point, in front of you on the other side of the traffic signal is a Coco Curry House.  Walk further on...Sanjo Dori now becomes a pedestrian street. 5 minutes further on, you will come to a Kmart on your right. Stop here. Just before Kmart on the right is a covered arcade called - Mochi Doni Arcade. Turn right and walk along the arcade until the end. You will come to a traffic light. Cross the road and keep going further for about 300-350 meters. The road will go downhill. On your left hand side, you will find Guesthouse Sakuraya.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Rajiv_Gopinath
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This guesthouse has loads of positive reviews, and they are true! I stayed 3 nights in the Hana room, and although the room is quite spartan, it is a great change from regular hotel rooms. I could have used a table in the room to place my laptop, but I was free to use the sitting area. In early autumn, the evening chill makes the ready laidout futon, and the warm quilt very inviting. I was totally fascinated by the number of doors leading to my room - screenpaper door, glass sliding door, screen doors, and blinds to blockoff a walkway. The shared toilet and bathrooms were a joy to use; everything is just so clean and neat.

Although the guesthouse is well-located for access to the Kintetsu Nara Station (walk through two shopping arcades, and just past the first sideroad after the arcades) and Nara Park, it can be hard to find first time round as streets in the Naramachi area are not well signposted. Kayoko took pains to send me off in the morning, and greet me warmly when I get back.

Yes, I definitely recommend this place to friends, and I would like to return sometime for another stay.

Room Tip: Hana room on the ground floor is really great in autumn; it is very cool as it opens out to the gard...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank asianms
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This place was the ideal place for me and my father to stay while in Nara. The host Kayoko was extremely kind and friendly, and really made us feel at home in the wonderful surroundings of the guesthouse. The setting is lovely, in particular the living room area and garden, and our room was perfect. I would have no hesitation about booking this place again and would recommend to all.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Phil E
Reviewed September 6, 2012

You can't go wrong with Guesthouse Sakuraya. The owner, Kayoko, has painstakingly restored the 150 year old house, and the result is beautiful rooms with modern conveniences. Bathrooms are separate (and Western style), but with two showers shared by three rooms, I never had to wait. Japanese style breakfasts are terrific (while i was there Kayoko made miso soup, grilled salmon, rice, pickles and a variety of fresh vegetables).

Only downside... with only three rooms she fills up fast, so make sure to book in advance!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business