“Marvellous stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guesthouse Sakuraya

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nara
Guesthouse Sakuraya
Ranked #1 of 29 Specialty lodging in Nara
Singapore
“Marvellous stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2011

My husband and I as well as our 5 month old infant stayed here for 2 nights at the end of October and it was absolutely wonderful. Our correspondence with Kayoko began months before our trip and right away we can tell that she is very accommodating. Meeting her was like meeting an old friend. We were blown away by her warm wonderful hospitality, useful tips, incredible help and knowledge. The guesthouse was such a delight - with a nice little garden in the middle, spanking new modern bathrooms with high tech heaters, three tatami-matted rooms and a common room where you eat breakfast and drink tea or coffee in the afternoon. We stayed in the biggest room which is the only room on the second level. It has its own balcony, a WC and sink. Kayoko even prepared a Winnie the Pooh covered futon for our little baby. Breakfast here was the best I've had in our whole 10 days trip in Japan. We were served pan fried salmon, miso soup, rice, Japanese omelette and local pickles. I was happy to eat this Japanese-style breakfast for both days even though my husband opted for the more modest Western-style breakfast during the second day. Although Sakuraya modestly claims to be a guesthouse, it felt more like a ryokan to me and I totally recommend it to anyone who is looking to experience that genuine, authentic, warm Japanese hospitality.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ad3weirdo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Orem, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

Guesthouse Sakuraya is the perfect place to stay in Nara. A beautiful Japanese style house in a great location that is clean and peaceful. Best of all is the hostess, Kayoko! I felt I was staying with a good friend. She is sweet, cheerful, friendly and very helpful. She gave me some great suggestions for things to do in the area and helped with train schedules. The breakfast she prepared was incredible. It was the best salmon I have ever had and maybe the best breakfast I have ever had as well. I stayed in the room with the garden view for two nights. The shared bathroom/showers are spotless, well designed and should not be a concern for any traveler (the place is small enough it's like sharing with your room mate anyway). I highly recommend the Guesthouse Sakuraya. I will stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Ross B
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

Finished our trip to KANSAI 10 days ago. Our stay in Nara was absolutely the best memory of our trip to Japan (Even compare with Fraser residense aparment in Osaka or Westin Miyako in Kyoto). The guesthouse is extremely well decorated, clean and tidy. But the most important is the hostess - Mrs. KAYOKO , such a sweet and warm and professional Japanese style guesthouse hostess,which made us feel like living at home and stay with an old friend.

To summarize the advantages of Sakuraya is:
Perfect location - at the center of Nara old town, quite close to commercial street, easy get to Nara park and other scenary spot;Perfect decoration - traditional Japanese style house, Japnese style living room and bedroom but modern style washroom;

Perfect breadfast: authentic Japanese homemade cuisine with different styles as you wish;

Perfect Janan culture experience: my friend and I tried Kimono, Kayoko is quite professional on it. The hair style she made for me was highly recommend by several of the local people and we really looked like Japanese ladies in Kimono as appreciated by local people.

Perfect feeling: Imagine you are living in the Japanese style house with an old friend, and you don't need to take any guide books with you cause Kayoko will answer any of your questions.
......

We love it and sure will go back to Sakuraya Nara again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank waterlilygao
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

I stayed here for one night with my wife and her sister. I agree with all the positive comments made by other reviewers. This B&B has been very tastefully renovated in an authentic machiya style and it is beautifiul throughout. The upstairs room has it's own small bathroom (toilet and sink) but otherwise the three rooms make use of showers and bathroom on the lower floor. Given the small size of the place this is no problem. There is a small garden in the back and the peacefulness of the whole place is striking. Breakfast was great (either japanese or western style). The location is tucked away on a charming small street but you are within walking distance of everything. The owner speaks english and is very friendly and helpful. I travel to Japan once a yera or so and awlays like to visit Nara - Sakuraya will now be where I will stay for sure. I can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in the upstairs room which is large and overlooks the garden at the back.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank snogaki
melb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

I agree with everything in the previous reviews! This place cannot be faulted. Kayoko keeps it absolutely spotless, it is such a comfortable and calm place to be. It even smells great! We stayed in the downstairs room overlooking the garden. The beds are ridiculously comfortable, the plushest doonas i have ever slept under! The location is fabulous too, right in the middle of the old part of Nara, amongst winding narrow streets and a short walk (15 mins) to Nara park. Or there is a bus if you don't feel like walking. It was definitely a highlight of our trip and at around 5000-6000Y pp, excellent value, particularly considering the beautiful breakfasts and endless green teas and coffees. Kayoko stands out for her hospitality even in Japan, where everyone is so hospitable! We had booked for one night and ended up staying three, I cannot recommend this place highly enough. A real find.

Room Tip: Upstairs has an ensuite toilet.
  • Stayed May 2011
2 Thank hag2000
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

We stayed for two nights in February and would highly recommend the Guesthouse Sakuraya. Kayoko, the proprietor, is lovely and was so very helpful with advice and recommendations. There are 3 rooms, one upstairs (larger) and two downstairs. We stayed in the upstairs room, which has a wonderful view of the traditional garden in the center of the house. The home cooked breakfasts were some of the best meals we had during our 4 week stay in Japan! The location is great too, in a very traditional neighborhood, yet very close to walk to the sites/restaurants in Nara. The house itself is historical and the renovations (recently done) are excellent. The rates are extremely reasonable too. You can see good pics of the rooms and house on their website. Great spot!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank latitudechanges
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

I stayed for one week in September, only one month after Guesthouse Sakuraya had opened, and it was fabulous. Kayoko, the lady that runs the place, was very helpful and definitely helped make our stay very memorable. She was always available to offer travel advice and to answer our hundreds of questions about Japan, and she prepares the most incredible traditional Japanese breakfast for you every morning. I'm not used to eating salmon and rice for breakfast, but it was delicious! We stayed in several places in Japan, from Sendai to Hiroshima, and this was by far the stand out place we stayed. I would highly recommend a visit. The guesthouse is perhaps a little far on foot (with a heavy backpack) from the train station, but there are local buses you can catch that make it super easy. We felt that we had really experienced Japan staying here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends