“good”

Ranked #29 of 63 Hotels / Ryokan in Nara
Taipei
“good”
Reviewed September 27, 2010

good the price is reasonable and the room and hotel is clean, there're laudry machine and cheap drinks vending machine

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank seismo2003

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne
Reviewed November 23, 2009

I stayed one night in this business hotel, which was clean and well appointed. I stayed in a few Toyoko Inn hotels during my stay, and this one met the standard of the chain. However, for me, it was a bit far from central Nara. Staff at tourist info at the JR station told me it would be about a 25min walk, but I got lost and it ended up taking must longer. It is very close to a subway station, although the subway is not in the JR station. As I was only staying one night in Nara, I wanted something near the station so I wouldn't waste too much time getting from the JR station to the accommodation to drop my bag, but this ended up taking ages.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank MelbourneSolofemale
Sacramento, California
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for one night as part of a three-week trip to Japan. My rating is based on the value for money. Toyoko Inns are not 5-star hotels.

There is no beating the price. The rooms are very inexpensive, especially considering what most places in Nara charge. While the rates vary depending on which city you stay in, this one cost us about $90/night (8000 yen/night) for the two of us.

The location was good. The train stop is right outside the door and it is only one stop to get to the temple sights. We were in Nara during a crowded time of year (toward the end of the cherry blossom season), in addition to going on a weekend.

The rooms are very tiny, but very clean and stocked with amenities. If you are looking for a clean, cheap place to sleep with a modern bathroom, television and A/C, Toyoko Inns are perfect. The rooms are too small for people traveling with children, they are really designed for business travelers. As a couple, we were perfectly content with the size of the room, but we aren't the type to hang around and watch tv when we travel. The continental breakfast was the low point, but I would have been happy without one given the price.

After splurging on a few nice ryokans, we tried to save a little elsewhere on our trip. It is hard to beat the Toyoko Inn’s prices, especially considering the cleanliness of the room. Usually low-cost hotels in the U.S. can be a bit dodgy, but this was not the case at Toyoko Inn (we stayed at one in Kanazawa as well). I highly recommend this chain to anyone who wants something a little nicer than a hostel for less than $75/night.

Sorry we didn't take any pics. The pictures on the web site are accurate.

I found out about this hotel chain from a friend. If you are looking to travel in Japan without breaking the bank, there is no beating this hotel chain. I wrote a review for another Toyoko Inn in Kanazawa that is pretty much the same as this one.

Pros:
Price (very inexpensive)
Room amenities (fully stocked)
Location (decent access to sights in Nara, one train stop away from temple sights)

Cons:
Poor continental breakfast
Very small rooms

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank holidaybowl
barcelona
Reviewed June 20, 2008

We stayed at this toyoko inn in Gojo. This place is very clean, western style tiny rooms but for this price it is excellent. Japanese breakfast included in the price. They do not speak English very good.

• Liked — very clean
  • Disliked — tiny rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)