See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 5, 2016 via mobile

Stayed here our first trip to Japan. If you walk out the north entrance of Kyoto station it's a very short walk there. You can make the entire walk be immersed in the culture and walk by the Hagashi Honganji temple. Staff was extremely friendly through out the stay and understood enough English that I was able to check in and have the rules of the wood floors vs stone floors explained to me . When checking out me being a dumb American was promptly followed out side after leaving in a semi quick fashion. To be heartedly thanked and bowed to. Couldn't have asked for a better place on my first stay in this country.

Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2016 via mobile

I stayed in this wonderful Ryokan for 2 nights whilst in Kyoto. It was very traditional with wooden floors, sliding doors, sunken coffee tables. I paid a bit extra for the larger room with a Japanese garden room. The room was spacious and the roll out futon beds were very comfortable. There was a heating/air con unit, television and a kettle with a beautiful Japanese tea set. They supplied Japanese tea. You had to take your shoes off when entering the places with wooden floors, which I loved as it added to the traditional feel.

The staff were so polite and friendly. Some staff spoke really good English and some very little. But all staff went out of their way to help. When I (very stupidly) locked my suitcase keys inside the suitcase, they went out of their way and took me to a local bicycle rental shop to cut the lock open. So very helpful!

There is a western breakfast and Japanese breakfast option. The western breakfast, which consisted of eggs, toast, jam, was very cheap - about £3. There is also a washer and dryer in the Ryokan to do laundry, which only costs about £2 to use.

Would definitely stay at again. The location was good - 10 minute walk to kyoto station and across the road from a beautiful temple. If you come by train, I would suggest walking from kyoto station. We got a taxi and it cost about £15!

Stayed: March 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2016

Beds were super comfy and easy to sleep on! They came and cleaned up the room when we were out for the day. Amazing service, nice staff and amazing views of a temple. Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We stayed in both the garden room and upstairs rooms- Both were amazing
  • Stayed: January 2016, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2015

It has an excellent Ryokan room with views onto 2 gardens and a very nice study room next to one of the 2 gardens. It has very nice and helpful English speaking staff who recommended to us a very nice Japanese public bath nearby called Sento. It is also located across the street from an excellent bicycle rental store. It had a great downtown location near the sites but on a quiet street. It had an available laundromat. Their Japanese breakfasts were wonderful and had excellently prepared varieties of food.

• Stayed: June 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2015

We stayed in Matsubaya Ryokan during our 2-days trip in Kyoto. This ryokan is a gem tucked in a very accessible location (walking distance to Kyoto Station and 3 other bus stops). The staff were very welcoming and accommodating to our enquiries.
My husband and I explored Kyoto on our own, and it was all made easy with the strategic location of this ryokan and the tips/directions from the staff.
We stayed in western-type room (but the ambiance and amenities were still very Japanese). We love the fact that the room included a small kitchen in the anteroom (it felt homey)!

• Stayed: April 2015, traveled as a couple