“Castle renovation makes this an interesting visit”
Review of Himeji Castle

Himeji Castle and Akashi Kaikyo Bridge from Osaka
Ranked #1 of 314 things to do in Himeji
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Built in the beginning of the 17th century when Japan's unique castle architectural techniques had reached their peak, Himeji Castle was the first in Japan to be registered as a UNESCO Cultural World Heritage in 1993 as well as designated as a National Treasure in 1951. It is called "Hakuro-jo" (White Heron Castle) because of its brilliant white exterior and supposed resemblance to a white heron taking flight.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Stroller parking
Ketchum, Idaho
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Castle renovation makes this an interesting visit”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We visited Himeji Castle with our two teenagers. We were told by our hotel in Kyoto as well as JR rail staff that we shouldn't visit because of the extensive renovation currently obscuring the exterior of the castle. We went anyway after reading Trip Advisor reviews, and are very glad we did. While you can't take any priceless pictures of the castle, you can learn a great deal about it, and do so very up close via the renovation exhibit. The renovation has essentially enclosed the castle in an immense outer building, and a minimal extra ticket gains admission to this building and its displays. The day we went was very hot, and it was a great treat that the building was air conditioned! We also asked for an English speaking guide which I would also recommend. He said he would usually take 1 1/2 hours to complete the tour, but we asked him to do it in one hour so we could make our return train to Kyoto -- and we finished right on time. These volunteer guides are quite generous with their time and knowledge, and it was well worth having Iwai San explain many of the castle features to us. Don't let the renovations keep you away from Himeji-jo!

Visited June 2013

• Vietnamese first
New Westminster, Canada
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Worth going to see, even under repairs”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

They have made the repairs an attraction. It is very interesting to see how the repairs are done, and through that how the castle was actually constructed. I would recommend seeing this while the repairs are ongoing, especially if you have the opportunity to see some of the other castles in Japan. Gives excellent insight of how these buildings were put together so many years ago.

1 Thank James A
Peterborough, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Still very nice to visit (Under Renovation)”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I got to Himeji Castle at about 9 am and it wasn't that busy. The grounds around the castle are very nice. I paid 400 yen to get in and I had a lovely lady guided me around the entire site for free as she was a volunteer. Even tho the main tower is under renovation I think its still very nice to visit and get a good idea of the samurai era. I Paid an additional 200 yen to visit the top where you can see the renovation work being done. Also at the top you get a great view of the city and the rest of the castle grounds. With Yoshiko Nakamura taking me around all the other parts of the grounds it took up a good couple of hours. She gave me loads of great insight into the castle and all its stories. If I go back to Japan I will come back to get that photo. Even tho the main tower is covered you still can see why its the best kept castle of all Japan.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank NinjaNick50
Detroit
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Great visit even w/renovations underway...”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

This is a beautiful site. The ONLY reason I'm not giving it four stars is because it was under renovation & I wasn't able to see it in all of its glory. At any rate, it costs 400 yen to enter, and an extra 200 yen if you want to take the elevator up to see the city, and a view of the construction taking place. It was definitely worth it. THe grounds are absolutely beautiful, though. If you buy the Castle ticket with the Koko-en (garden) ticket, you save 20% (get both for 560 yen) which is a great idea! Definitely a must-see & I'll return once the renovations have been completed!

Taylorsville, North Carolina
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Under Renovation”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We really enjoyed the trip up the elevator to above the roof to inspect the craftsman ship of the work on the new roof. Maybe even better then going inside but wished we could see the castle from the outside.