“Just OK”

and up
Afternoon Pass for Edo Wonderland Nikko Edomura
Ranked #4 of 203 things to do in Nikko
More attraction details
Owner description: Amusement park recreating ancient Japan.
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Visited here in October 2010. As an adult, I was not particularly impressed, but my 13 year old son thought the place was great, probably the ninja flavor. The park was not as authentic as I would have liked in terms of activities/facilities, but certainly was authentic in that it is not geared for foreigners. We had to totally figure things out on our own. We picked up a shuttle to the park from Nikko and we were able to get a bus to the train station for our return trip to Tokyo.

2  Thank OhioTravelers9663

Reviewed September 17, 2013

My partner & I went here on a whim. We were easily able to obtain a 'Kinugawa Theme Park Pass' that same morning, which included train there and back, unlimited bus rides around the Kinagawa Onsen area, and tickets to either Edo Wonderland, Tobu World Square or both. The pass is only available to tourists and made it a much better deal.

We had lunch in one of the restaurants and I loved the old Japan feel of the place.

We didn't hire costumes - I wanted to but never got around to finding the hire shop, as we were so busy.

I am a little child-like in nature so I loved things like the ninja trick house, ninja training house, ninja maze, etc. I also loved to see the dressed up characters walking around. We also did archery as my partner loves archery. I sucked badly but they still gave me a consolation prize.

We saw a ninja show which was so good, a very easy to follow story line as it was only in Japanese and we don't speak any Japanese, yet could still follow along easily. Most of theactivitties, etc are in Japanese only, so make sure you don't lose the english (or other language) pamphlet they give you.

It probably wouldnt have been as good if I didn't love child-like fun. I think kids would love it.

5  Thank Flashlee
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

First off the price is way too high at 4500 Yen. you can print up a discount ticket off the internet but that doesn't save you very much.
However there is a free shuttle bus there and back to Nikko station (or Toshogu area if you wish). The unfortunate part of the shuttle bus is that the first bus arrives about an hour and a half after the attraction opens,and the last one leaves almost two hours before it closes. Lame.
Now for the fun stuff.
Everything is in Japanese but you don't need to understand it to enjoy the awesome action-packed live shows.
The energy the actors and even the prep crew is amazing. You can tell they give it their all.
Some of the ninja fighting is so corney and will remind you of bad 1970s ninja movies with needless flipping and rolling everywhere.
That counts as part of its charm though.
The highlight of your day will be the "Ninja Karasu Yashiki House" (pro tip. Sit by the fireplace ;)
The water magic show was kind of cool.
All in all enough stuff to keep you interested for a long time, If you're into the culture. I wish I had more time to spend there.

2  Thank LandStander82
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Expensive: 4,500 Yen (as of August 2013) entry fee. Additional costs for activities such as ninja star and dart throwing (500 Yen for five darts). Food and drink expensive.

Attractions: completely outdated and not designed for the non-Japanese speaker. Most exhibits were waxworks that looked 20+ years old. No English translations so you don't know what you're looking at.

However, could be more interesting for small children.

Tip: you can get a slightly cheaper ticket (3,900 Yen) if you enter after 15:00.

Tip: get the free shuttle bus 432 from Tobu Nikko Station to save money.

8  Thank yt600
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place to experience traditional Japan! If you go you have to see the main theater ninga show it is great. If you want to spend money then you can do a costume rental so you look like you are from traditional Japan you can also got your picture taken in Japanese traditional cloths. I recommend you have lunch there from the (MANY) Japanese restraunts! There is also ninga games and for the kids there is ninga training. There are also 2 free haunted house type things. The parade is also I must see.