“A sample of Edo Japan in 1 day.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Day Trip to Edo Wonderland from Tokyo
Ranked #4 of 152 things to do in Nikko
More attraction details
Owner description: Amusement park recreating ancient Japan.
KL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A sample of Edo Japan in 1 day.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

It may not be the real thing, but for a foreign tourist, it's a sample of old Japan in a theme park setting.

No roller coster rides, no amusement machines... just shows and play area.

We'd been to Disneys and Disney like theme parks. This is different; sample the culture, sights, sounds, and smells of old Japan. It may be a very touristy place, but where else can a tourist experience Shogun (or the youger gen. - The Last Samurai) street settings and shows.

I think we took the right choice of going there by train. We got the Tobu train, bus, and theme park package all-in-one. It costs JPY6000 per adult. The tourist office at Asakusa was very helpful

The train ride was pleasant, we get to see rural Japan. It was an enjoyable train ride with views of paddy fields and mountains.

The ninja shows and acts were enjoyable. There were traditional games that kids can play and win prizes. We could even rent costumes and go about in them (that's and additional cost). Cheaper just to go to the in-house photo studio and take photos in their costumes.

Hot snacks are available. As Muslims there were choices that we can enjoy (grilled seafood, corn and grilled mashed potato) but I advise pack some sandwiches and have them at the benches near their vending machines.

English guides are available with most signage are in dual language. The shows however are in Japanese. A brief English summary would be distributed before the start of the show (otherwise enjoy a Japanese live anime without subs... you can still understand the story).

Budget for the bulk of the day, and enjoy something more then a Disney outing (cheaper too).

Visited March 2013

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

It's a fun place to visit, but it's just too expensive.
But if you want to see Ninja, there're shows and you can enjoy it.

2 Thank YGAUSN
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience IF You Rent The Costumes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

My partner insisted on going to the famous Irohazaka highway which was featured in the Initial D games and en-route we decided to also visit Edomura as they are all situated in Nikko. We went all the way from Tokyo just for a day trip.

The weather wasn't kind to us. Upon arrival it was burning hot, and 2 hours later it was pouring cats and dogs and we didn't have an umbrella.

Weather aside, the place is located in a very rural area but they managed to re-create the feel of ancient Japan which was amazing. My partner insisted on renting a costume but at the time it was far too hot and expensive for me to put on a proper kimono so only my partner rented the Samurai outfit. My partner took amazingly awesome pictures and it felt like he really came from the Edo period!!

I however, was too put off by the weather to enjoy anything. A good knowledge of Japanese will definitely enhance the experience as I was able to easily communicate all my partner's requests to the man handling the costumes. (He wasn't very nice to the other tourists who couldn't speak Japanese). On the way home, we managed to get our taxi fares reduced as well because the driver was impressed that I could speak their language.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Nikita L
Australia
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 194 helpful votes
“For all the young at heart!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you are a Disney or theme park fan, there is no way you would want to miss this!! Can I say it was better than Disneyworld? I guess not in terms of the entertainment but in terms of involvement, this is it!! We went there and decided to be part of the set - naturally our choice was the ninja for my husband and my daughter wlthough there were little girls who were princesses and geisha. So after getting dressed, we went around, watched the shows and although were not in English, had a blast anyway. There is a show, like a mini kabuki(?) which I think pays off for the price of your entrance. We did try to get tickets to the real kabuki in Tokyo but it was fully booked and it costs a bomb. It is a fun place and does I feel represents the cultural aspects of Japan as we all know that ninjas do not exist now (maybe I am wrong). The nicest food was a little 'inn' /hut at the entrance which served hot soba and it was yummy. It is not some place you would go back everytime you visit Japan, but it is a must for your first visit to Japan. Oh, if you are there in the peak season, they have wonderful activities for the under 12. Love it!

Visited December 2011
2 Thank HotspiceAustralia
Malaysia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Must go for Ninja fans..:)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We spent like 5 hours here, and could easily spend the whole day if the last bus wasnt at 320pm (sigh..)...small establishment but entertaining. We enjoyed the shows! Oh, they also provide free shuttle bus for the convenient of the visitors. Food was quite expensive, but hey...you dont come here everyday, right?

Visited September 2012