“Tranquil relaxing stay”

Nikko Minshuku Narusawa Lodge
Ranked #9 of 85 B&Bs / Inns in Nikko
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Having spent a few nights in hostel dorms I decided to treat myself to my own room for a night in Nikko. The room was excellent value for a single traveller at 4200 yen, not much more than a dorm bed.

The guesthouse is simple, clean and comfortable and the owner Yugi was very helpful and friendly. It was very quiet and peaceful, just what I needed.

The location is a little out the way, 15 mins from the station but I like walking round and exploring on foot so it wasn't an issue for me and I liked staying in this traditional Japanese neighbourhood.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Kate L

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We are a french couple in our sixties travelling for 1 month in Japan. The owner of this accommodation in Nikko is very kind and relax (we would say in french : "baba cool"). The location of the lodge, at 20 mn walking of the station is very quiet and we can reach easily the temples by walking. However this accomodation is out of the cleaniness standard we uses to havé in Japan.

Room Tip: The room in the angle of the house as à double nice view on mountains. .
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013

It was just starting to rain when we arrived at the lodge so we were very glad for a warm welcome from the owner (Yugi). He helped us with our luggage and then poured us some green tea. During the tea he was more than happy to ask our questions (there were lots).

The lodge is basic but very cosy and quiet. It doesn't feel like paid accommodation, more like a home from home. You can use as much hot water for food and tea and coffee as you like. These facilities are available on both floors. There are also fridges which you may use at will.

Yugi offers to drive people to a local Onsen every night. He decides which will be best on any given night. We were intending to go along but ended up falling asleep in our room by 21:00. It was one of our best sleeps of the whole trip. Talking of the whole trip (1 month) it was also the cheapest place.

Initially I was a little unsure of staying here after reading some of the negative points from previous guests' reviews but the owner clearly reads the reviews as all of the various things have been seen to: indoor bathrooms, slippers, alternative pillows etc)

Past reviewers also mention the distance from the station is longer than the stated 15 minutes. We walked pulling our cases in the dark in 11 minutes and we are of average fitness. There were no problems finding the lodge.

If I was going to stay anywhere again in Japan (and especially for a long time) it would be here. It really is a nice place to live and the owner makes you very welcome.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BiarritzTaxi
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We escaped hot and humid Tokyo madness for the peace and quiet of Nikko. Narusawa Lodge is a 600 yen taxi ride or a 30 minute walk uphill walk from JR Nikko station. The futon rooms are very spacious clean and comfortable.
The owner is delightful gentleman, Yugi- san, who speaks excellent English, learned initially from US Armed Forces radio. He was able to fill us in with the history of Nikko in the communal dining room of the lodge. He also provides good advice such as location of supermarket and timing of specials which make eating cheap.
Yugi- san offers to drive all his guests to a local Onsen which by all accounts is fairly special. We elected to use the hot tub at the lodge which is well setup in a separate building. He also drove us to the train station when we left Nikko which was a great relief given the early train.
Lots to do in Nikko - 2 day bus pass available at railway station which can be used to visit Kegon falls, Chuzenji Lake, and of course the shrines which are just amazing

Room Tip: Thoroughly recommended; good experience
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had a nice experience at Narusawa Lodge. The owner was very nice and would speak English which was a good asset. He gave us good tips to move around. The accommodation was located in a quiet neighbourhood 20 minutes walking (min) from the train station. The room was clean and the futons were very comfy. The only 'negative' side is the distance to the temples but if you are ready to walk in the typical countryside village, I wouldnt doubt it, this is your place. I would definetely go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MissLibelula_83
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This wasn't the first time I stayed in a Minshuku, so I wasn't new to this kind of accomodation.

I was there around the peak season for fall color, I booked after hearing another 2 minshuku, which are more expensive, better rated, were full.

The host was friendly, replied emails quickly. Location is a little far away from the train station. He offers pick up at the train station (or if you want to go for Onsen at night). But you will have to walk there after that. It's like 1km from the bus/train staion... not really a big deal, but not convenient either. I travelled solo so that was rather long quiet walk. You probably won't enjoy much if it was cold and dark and there were next to nothing along the way at night (shops there close relatively early, Nikko is not a big city).

The bathroom was actually another small house outside the building. It was very close, but not good if was very cold outside at night since there was a hugh different in temperature between the house, the outside and the bathroom. I cautch a cold probably because of that, but I managed to have a real quick recovery after a night. The bathroom seems a little bit too basic (in Japanese standard).

The room was a bit dirty than expected. There were more hairs and other stuffs than I would like to see on the floor (remember, you're going to sleep on the floor, although with a mattress). The bedding was clean enough as well as other areas, including the shared WC.

There was a small and old TV in the room. I don't usually watch TV when I travel and stay in country side or old cities so that was not an issue to me. Some might not be happy with that.

They didn't have dinner to offer during the days I was there (they do have dinner option listed on the website). It was the first time I didn't have a dinner in a minshuku. There ain't many dining choices nearby (in fact I can remember there was only one around) so one better have dinner in the town center before go back to the house during the days they don't offer dinner.

Price is good. (although I didn't lifted the cleanliness rating because of that, but I did keep that in mind when I gave the overall rating).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank wilfredwong
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The Narusawa Lodge can be a little hard to find on your own (in the dark anyway!) as it is across the river in a quiet residential area, about 15 minutes' walk from the station and 20 minutes' walk from the World Heritage area. However this means that it is quiet and reflected in a reasonable room rate, that includes internet access.

Rooms are reasonably spacious, with a futon bed on tatami matting, and a low round table with cushions. The pillow was traditional (and very hard, so I padded it out with some spare clothing). However they are aimed at Western tourists and - uniquely on my recent visit - don't provide a yukata (or toilet slippers). There is also only one shared bath tub on the ground floor, which sometimes means queuing... However any slight shortcomings in the Ryoken aspects are offset by a very friendly and helpful owner, Yugi, who speaks excellent English. Yugi also provides a daily lift & return service to the local onsen baths mid-evening.

There's a fridge, toaster and microwave (and hot water) on each floor, and Yugi can also recommend when and where to get bargain sushi (after 4pm in the unlikely named Lion d'Or supermarket!) Breakfast was offered at a bargain 100 yen - but was only a thick slice of white bread for toasting plus jam and butter. I guess it's the antidote to Japanese breakfasts, but sent me out to Sunkus after day 1!

Nikko is a busy place, and this is a very good budget place to stay, offering a Japan-light experience, that is better than most budget business hotels.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo