Nikko Minshuku Narusawa Lodge
Natsukashiya Fuwari(Nikko)(Great Value!)
$179
$86
  • Restaurant
Kinugawa Kanko Hotel(Nikko)(Great Value!)
$222
$474
$342
JAPANiCAN.com
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewslocal onsenfine placemin walk from the train stationthe ownerjapanese stylefree wifihot waterfree tea and coffeeshared bathroomsushinoodlestwo nightsthe riverfutonsupermarketmicrowavetatami
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This wasn't the first time I stayed in a Minshuku, so I wasn't new to this kind of accomodation.

I was there around the peak season for fall color, I booked after hearing another 2 minshuku, which are more expensive, better rated, were full.

The host was friendly, replied emails quickly. Location is a little far away from the train station. He offers pick up at the train station (or if you want to go for Onsen at night). But you will have to walk there after that. It's like 1km from the bus/train staion... not really a big deal, but not convenient either. I travelled solo so that was rather long quiet walk. You probably won't enjoy much if it was cold and dark and there were next to nothing along the way at night (shops there close relatively early, Nikko is not a big city).

The bathroom was actually another small house outside the building. It was very close, but not good if was very cold outside at night since there was a hugh different in temperature between the house, the outside and the bathroom. I cautch a cold probably because of that, but I managed to have a real quick recovery after a night. The bathroom seems a little bit too basic (in Japanese standard).

The room was a bit dirty than expected. There were more hairs and other stuffs than I would like to see on the floor (remember, you're going to sleep on the floor, although with a mattress). The bedding was clean enough as well as other areas, including the shared WC.

There was a small and old TV in the room. I don't usually watch TV when I travel and stay in country side or old cities so that was not an issue to me. Some might not be happy with that.

They didn't have dinner to offer during the days I was there (they do have dinner option listed on the website). It was the first time I didn't have a dinner in a minshuku. There ain't many dining choices nearby (in fact I can remember there was only one around) so one better have dinner in the town center before go back to the house during the days they don't offer dinner.

Price is good. (although I didn't lifted the cleanliness rating because of that, but I did keep that in mind when I gave the overall rating).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank wilfredwong
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The Narusawa Lodge can be a little hard to find on your own (in the dark anyway!) as it is across the river in a quiet residential area, about 15 minutes' walk from the station and 20 minutes' walk from the World Heritage area. However this means that it is quiet and reflected in a reasonable room rate, that includes internet access.

Rooms are reasonably spacious, with a futon bed on tatami matting, and a low round table with cushions. The pillow was traditional (and very hard, so I padded it out with some spare clothing). However they are aimed at Western tourists and - uniquely on my recent visit - don't provide a yukata (or toilet slippers). There is also only one shared bath tub on the ground floor, which sometimes means queuing... However any slight shortcomings in the Ryoken aspects are offset by a very friendly and helpful owner, Yugi, who speaks excellent English. Yugi also provides a daily lift & return service to the local onsen baths mid-evening.

There's a fridge, toaster and microwave (and hot water) on each floor, and Yugi can also recommend when and where to get bargain sushi (after 4pm in the unlikely named Lion d'Or supermarket!) Breakfast was offered at a bargain 100 yen - but was only a thick slice of white bread for toasting plus jam and butter. I guess it's the antidote to Japanese breakfasts, but sent me out to Sunkus after day 1!

Nikko is a busy place, and this is a very good budget place to stay, offering a Japan-light experience, that is better than most budget business hotels.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MKMapman
Reviewed October 27, 2012

from the very first time I booked this lodge via hostelworld.com, I already sensed the warmness of the owner. Yuji-san immediately sent us an email, privately, to say that he was looking forward to our stay. while we arrived at Tobu Nikko station, he offered to pick up our luggage and put it in the lodge, so we could go wondering around Nikko freely. we booked private twin room, it was really nice and spacious. futon was laid down already, so we didn't have to take care about it (other place sometimes let guests do that by themselves). shower room and toilet were separated between male-female. Yuji-san's English was really good, and he answered all our questions kindly. the only turn down was its location. local people said that it's only ten minutes from the station, but for the first time trying to find it, it was quite difficult, because we had to pass a bridge and somewhat steep pathway. but actually it's true, when we went back to station it was only 10-15 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank hanna249
Reviewed October 24, 2012

After staying in a hotel in Tokyo, this was our first 'Japanese' style room. It was quite large and easily fit my husband, 10 year old and myself with probably too much luggage. It's a fair walk from the station and up a hill. We didn't call first to arrange a pick up and I regretted it, however we received a lift to the station when we checked out. A shared bathroom is fairly clean, I guess it depends on how clean the other guests are! The shared toilets on the second floor are new and very clean. It was quiet and the sound of the creek running across the road was nice to fall asleep to. My husband tried the onsen and found it very hot!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jdeandrew
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Friendly host and good standard as long as you don't mind Ryokans.

Pros:
WiFi
Free pick up from the train station
Free transportation to an onsen
Juji speaks very good English

Cons (I'm nitpicking here :)
10 min walk to the town center