“Cozy Hostel in the park”
Review of Nikko Park Lodge

Nikko Park Lodge
Ranked #100 of 149 Hotels / Ryokan in Nikko
Rome-Italy
“Cozy Hostel in the park”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Nikko Park Lodge has 2 locations: 1 is right in front of the Tobu station, the other is 5 minutes away, in the park. We stayed at the second for a weekend, taking advantage of the pick up service provided for free (the road was iced, we had to leave our car in Nikko city center, at the hostel parking).

The owner and his wife were nice and friendly. We just talked a while at the check in, and the guy offered to drive us up to the Toshogu Shrine, to let us start sightseeing on time!
We had a delicious dinner (time is fixed and there are only a few choices, but nice) and played the guitar by the chimney then joined other guests and played cards. There's a small onsen 20 mins walkig away in the snow, my boyfriend said it was tiny but confortable. The room was small but with a nice view over the trees and all around was quiet and white.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
sydney, australia
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Location is somewhat isolated, especially when there is snow and ice involved. They do have a free shuttle from their other hotel but it only runs between 15.00 and 17.00. We took a taxi, which only cost about 700 yen. Other than that, since it was low season, they were happy to drive us to where we wanted to go. Very friendly Japanese-American couple. Don't expect luxury and flawless Japanese service here, it reminded me more of British B&Bs in the 1970s (sorry showing my age here!), ie cold (apart from the rooms themselves and the lounge area) and a bit tired and tatty. However if you are looking for cosy, homey, comfortable, friendly and affordable you can't beat it. Free internet stations in the lounge area. The breakfasts are more than adequate and the dinners, ordered in advance, are quite good. However, once again, as it is a two-man show there can be delays - grab a drink from the bar, if you can get their attention, pick up one of their collection of guitars and just relax!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tamworth, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The location of this hotel is probably lovely at other times of the year, but in the snow it was just inconvenient. There is a shuttle service from their other hotel near the station but the times are very limited. Once we got there, we had little choice but to have dinner at the hotel.
They did drop our luggage back to the other hotel to hold it (at a cost) while we walked around the sites on our way back to the station next morning.
The rooms are frankly tatty, small as is typical in Japan but over-furnished (making them even smaller) and our bathroom door wouldn't even close.
The owner speaks excellent English.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AussieBarbara

Travelers are raving about these Nikko hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed two nights in this family-run hotel. We stayed in a single room with a private bath--it was small but just enough space for our needs. There was also a lovely view of the Nikko mountains. We appreciated the accommodating staff that have the best english of all the hotel staff members we met (even in the upscale hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto we stayed at). They also gracious transported us to and from the hotel to the train station. Lastly, their in-house breakfast and bar service is a definite plus, considering that most restaurants and bars in Nikko close early.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Actually we dint book this lodge but happened to stay here. Later I felt lucky to be there. We went with our 3 yr old baby and they provided milk/ rice whenever we wanted, which is impossible in hotels. We are vegetarian and they provide vegetarian dinner, which is also impossible in Japan. But after 1st day, they were running out of bread and veg. curries. I used to carry ready-to-eat curries with me while traveling with my baby. If I dint have curries with me, it would be really hard to manage in that remote place. The breakfasts they provided were very tasty.
For those who like elegant, posh stay, this will not be a good place. But for those who like homely atmosphere, can manage with minimum options in food, who don't care much about formalities, this would be a paradise.
The only thing I found negative was the very cold toilet seats..(we stayed in early jan) and it would be better if they have warm seats!

Pros- free shuttle service in the morning to bus/ train stations.
-free Internet access
-2 desktops that can be accessed at any time.
-complimentary breakfast (we were expecting bills for that while checking out, but they said it was compliment)
-the fireplace with books
-the lounge that gave chance to meet other like minded backpackers

Cons- cold rooms in the ground floor
-remote location (it was actually a 20 min walk to the shrines from here. But with a baby in a freezing Jan, a long walk in the mountainside was impossible for us)
-have to order dinner early or you ll have to hear "oh, am sorry, we closed the order for zen dinner tonight or we are running out of veg curries"
If you ask me to stay there again, I ll happily start packing my backpack.

• Stayed January 2013
Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I booked a room at the mountain lodge for the 31st of December (today), and have been told to go to the one closest to the station between 3 and 5pm in order to call the car which will accompany us to the mountain lodge. When I arrived at the one closest to the station, I've been told that they've made a "mistake" and that I can't have a room at the mountain, but there's one for me at the station one. I was really disappointed as a friend of mine recommended me this place. No word of apology from the staff, so I decided to go to another hotel (fortunately I managed to find one).
I highly recommend to NOT use this place. I can't believe such a terrible service in Japan, and especially a touristic place like Nikko.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Delutece
Amstelveen
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Accommodation in Nikko is utterly expensive. It is always full of tourists, so rates are high compared to the main cities where you can go by with max. 3000 - 4000. Be careful and shop around on the internet or even better book directly on the website of the lodge. Booking.com charged a whopping 12.000 Yen for the room I got for the official rate of 5.500 yen (price for double room, no single rooms).

The mix between hostel and hotel is confusing for a lot of guests. Budget travellers are indeed a different kind. They bring their own food. So if you're not used to it as a standard tourist. It is not rude, but just common practice for backpackers.

Room Tip: The food is excellent. Be aware that the lodge is situated outside the centre. It is a 20 minute wal...