“Accidental stroll through a pretty park.”

Nikko National Park
Ranked #2 of 161 things to do in Nikko
Daphne, Alabama
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Accidental stroll through a pretty park.”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

We accidentally ended up walking through the park searching for a restaurant. We popped out at the Shinkyo bridge which was a pleasant surprise. We also found food a block away at a wonderful ramen house. The park itself is small and unassuming. Beautiful foliage and very well maintained.

Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Australia
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Nikko temple and park amazing, don't miss it.”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Loved the park, it was cold but we saw the kirifuri no Taki waterfall, and the Spring buds were coming out. We enjoy spring when trees are not in full leaf because one can see so much more!

The Nikko collection of World Heritage listed gilded shrines and temples were truly amazing, the intricate details on them and colour, we saw the beautiful inside of many also. So many to see so take your time and a good guide is helpful. We saw the " see no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil monkeys also, and other stories which were amusing.
Not to be missed

Visited April 2013
Sudbury, Canada
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“Peace, some culture, many regional gems, including nice countryside people.”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Would have stayed longer than the 2 days I'v been.
Went bec.of Autumn Nikko Festival, was far from disappointed. Then, discovered the park, some local art shops, and the nice local people, with musical accent. Very pleasant and helpful.
To travel here is time-consuming, complicated transportation. Once you get there, if you enjoy nature and genuine people, it is worthwhile to stay at least 2 days. I could stay 4 days, because of very pleasant walks in very well maintained pedestrian roads by lake side or forest. At least two splendid waterfalls. Excellent hiking possible. The region is quite an extensive territory in the mountain, with numerous small villages higher than the main Nikko village, higher up in the mountain. My hotel was 45 minutes higher than Nikko, by car. My guide and I really enjoyed the walks. To take some breaks, we repeatedly stopped at onsen hostels (hotsprings hotels) that are numerous along the roads. We raved on the fabulous shops each of them had, each with different products. Some local original products, not found elsewhere in Japan. My guide herself bought gifts for her people in Tokyo, bec. what she was finding here was unique.
Take a look at the pictures on this site of Trip Advisor.
As a Canadian, if told of the natural bounty of Nikko, before I visited it, I still would've thought: ''yes, but you are used to all this, as a Canadian''.
It turned out that I thouroughly enjoyed it, and would have stayed longer. Brought a sense of peace, harmony.
The musical accent of the locals: I hope I will never forget. And they were very nice.
Enjoyed my stay at Okunikko onsen (see my profile).

Visited October 2012
3 Thank 88puffin
Hong Kong
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nikko National Park”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Went there for a day w/ my hubby's best friend as our tour guide. Was very enjoyable, friend was driving the car for us and while ascending to the top of the mountain, you can watch the monkey's playing around the highway. We had a lunch near the lake, and the most we enjoyed was the onsen or the Japanese hot spring spa. Couples like us could enjoy together the hot spring although most in Japan women and men are always separated but because our friend can speak Nihonngo he requested the receptionist for us to be together w/ our baby. We went to a great big falls near the ledge of the mountain, oh that was so amazing view although we get a little bit wet. We will definitely want to come back and visit Japan again, there are so many amazing places out there :))

Visited September 2011
1 Thank HongKongAnj
Seattle, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Bring extra time with you”
Reviewed October 26, 2008

I am staying in Tokyo on business, had a day off and headed for Nikko.

I had a guidebook for Japan with some about Nikko but not a lot, I don't speak Japanese.

Anyway it is October 25 and I got a late start from my hotel near Shinjuku, got lost in Asakusa since the arrival train station isn't connected to the Tobu line. Anyway, finally got on way to Nikko and arrived about 2pm. The shrines stop admitting at 4pm and close at 5pm, so I knew I could see a couple of them without rushing, grab dinner and get back to Tokyo at a decent hour.

That was the plan.

The shuttle bus that went to the shrines was out of service due to "traffic jam" and they put me on another bus with vague instructions about where to get off to get close to where I wanted to go (make sure you get a detailed map of Nikko). I ended up heading into the hills towards the lake (I forget name) and once headed that way at least 4 things were put into motion: there was no way i was going to see the shrines, the bus took over 2 hours in a traffic jam heading up the hairpin turns i think a total of 15km!!! and it was pitch black on arrival, my tourpass didn't cover the ride to the lake so i had to shell out another $20 or so, and the train back to Tokyo stopped at every milk station and it took me 4 hours to get from Nikko to Shinjuku. Not fun.

Nikko looked interesting and I would like to go back someday, but combo of my poor planning, time available, not knowing it would be crammed with people, and generally unintelligible signage, etc. made it a day I will never get back in my life. Plan to stay overnight and/or day tour from Tokyo by leaving uber-early like 7am or so from Asakusa

13 Thank JonnyRotten90